Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at 475 kW ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lklundin

Oct 10, 2014
Bavaria
Electrek has a story on the unveiling of a charger station supporting powers up to 475 kW:

New electric vehicle charging station unveiled with record capacity of ‘up to 475 kW’

The Model 3 with its newly designed battery pack + control electronics + internal power cabling is apparently able to charge at rates above the current supercharger power (of 120 kW).

How high a charging power does the Model 3 support?
EPA states 525a I think?, someone posted that the battery cable in the 3 is 3/0 vs. 2/0 in the s and x, they also posted that the manufactures rated limit on that 3/0 cable is 420a if I remember correctly, can't find the post

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
EPA states 525kw I think?

No, it's 525A. (It's mentioned in this document: https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=40001&flag=1 )

If you use the nominal pack voltage of 350V, that'd give you 184kW.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if overheating of the connector might be a limiting factor in charging speeds in the Model 3, and (I believe) this heat generation at the connector would increase with the square of current. I recall reading a lot of reports of slowed Supercharging speeds in previous years that was suspected to be due to overheating connectors, so I wonder if Tesla has fixed this with redesigned (or better maintained) parts, or if this will be an issue in any future higher-power Model 3 Supercharging.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lklundin
No, it's 525A. (It's mentioned in this document: https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=40001&flag=1 )

If you use the nominal pack voltage of 350V, that'd give you 184kW.
You are right, my mistake, I was confusing amperage rating with kw, thanks, my post above corrected

So if the 420a rating from the battery cable manufacturer is correct then 147kw would be max.

Elon has stated that 200kw to 225kw would be possible on v3 supercharger, how can this be true?

Last edited:
Elon has stated that 200kw to 225kw would be possible on v3 supercharger, how can this be true?
Might be worth double-checking if the "state"ment was about the charging station or individual stall/car. For example, he previously commented on the "135 kW" station which meant an upgrade for the pair not for an individual car charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Might be worth double-checking if the "state"ment was about the charging station or individual stall/car. For example, he previously commented on the "135 kW" station which meant an upgrade for the pair not for an individual car charging.
A quote from Elon
“We’re definitely going to be improving our Supercharger’s technology. The thing about a 350 kW charger is that it doesn’t actually make a ton of sense, unless you got a monster battery pack or have like a crazy high C rating… We think 350 kW for a single car; you’re gonna frag the battery pack if you do that. You cannot charge a high-energy battery pack at that rate, unless it’s a very high kW battery pack. So, (for us), something along the couple of hundred, 200-250 kW, maybe.”