Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at a building Complex

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all!! My buddy really wants to get a Model 3, but he lives in an apartment complex. Anyone have a Tesla that lives at one and maybe could help with the question? Cause i doubt the landlord will let him install an adaptor let alone a powerwall. Thanks guys!!

I would start with the landlord now, and explore what is possible. If he has an assigned parking spot, investigate what it would cost to add a 240 V outlet. Is it close to the electrical panel for his appartment?

Also, he could ask to see if his employer would install 240 V charging. If so, he could charge there instead.

Perhaps looking for other living options with a garage, or parking next to the house, that are affordable would be a third option.

GSP

I would start with the landlord now, and explore what is possible. If he has an assigned parking spot, investigate what it would cost to add a 240 V outlet. Is it close to the electrical panel for his appartment?

Also, he could ask to see if his employer would install 240 V charging. If so, he could charge there instead.

Perhaps looking for other living options with a garage, or parking next to the house, that are affordable would be a third option.

GSP

Thanks Mate!

Apartment complexes have started to add chargers as amenities. If you check out plugshare you can find known locations like this one for the Hanover West University Apartments here in Houston.

You might have to click on More Options then check Show Restricted Locations in order to see chargers at apartments:
Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 10.31.46 AM.png

I expect all the apartment search engines will eventually add EV Charger as one of their filter options.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tes LA
Your friend will hate you when the charging situation gets frustrating.

It sounds great until 3 charging station is installed and there are 6 EVs. People are generally dicks and not very courteous these days. At my work, we have 3 charging stations and 4 EV, but all the spots are always taken by people too lazy to move after they complete a charge. It gets annoying really fast. Plugshare is a good option for occasional use but it will take all the joy out of owning an EV.

My advice is if you don't have a charging station you CONTROL / OWN, don't go EV.

Your friend will hate you when the charging situation gets frustrating.

It sounds great until 3 charging station is installed and there are 6 EVs. People are generally dicks and not very courteous these days. At my work, we have 3 charging stations and 4 EV, but all the spots are always taken by people too lazy to move after they complete a charge. It gets annoying really fast. Plugshare is a good option for occasional use but it will take all the joy out of owning an EV.

My advice is if you don't have a charging station you CONTROL / OWN, don't go EV.
Same can be said about a gas station...

Same can be said about a gas station...

Not even close. I can go to any gas station to fill up. If a SUV or VAN takes their sweet time I'll just go to another pump and move on. When charge spots are occupied by inconsiderate users, there is absolutely nothing you can do. Once you are in that situation - you will know. Daily aggravation, especially when you are desperately low on charge.

Not even close. I can go to any gas station to fill up. If a SUV or VAN takes their sweet time I'll just go to another pump and move on. When charge spots are occupied by inconsiderate users, there is absolutely nothing you can do. Once you are in that situation - you will know. Daily aggravation, especially when you are desperately low on charge.
If there are only four of you at the location can't you just find out who they all are and discuss it? It seems like it would be a 5 minute conversation. Sure some people are jerks, but are jerks only because they don't know.

There's zero reason why you couldn't buy an EV if you don't own your own charging station. In this day and age there are many places to charge and even more as EVs become more popular. If people keep making excuses, then we'll be addicted to gasoline forever.

Also, you don't need to wait until you're at a low charge to charge up. If you are not travelling and you're proverbially "running on fumes" during your daily commute then you're just lazy.

Around me I've never seen a charge spot occupied for a long amount of time except the ones at my work's parking lot (because it's a parking lot).

Last edited:
We live in a downtown condo complex and there are 6 Teslas in the building. They're able to install electric chargers and meter separately.

UnitaryExecutive,
What chargers are in your building? How did they go about it? What was the cost?

My condo in Seattle is looking at doing the same, with each owner who wants one paying $1,000 initial cost to deliver the power to the building (minimum 10 owners and condo will match with another $10k), then about $2,500 per person to deliver the power to each parking spot and pay for the charging unit. After that, one only plays the city rate for electricity (about 10 cents/kWh). At least that's what I've been told... what questions should I be asking?

Thanks for your input everyone!

UnitaryExecutive,
What chargers are in your building? How did they go about it? What was the cost?

My condo in Seattle is looking at doing the same, with each owner who wants one paying $1,000 initial cost to deliver the power to the building (minimum 10 owners and condo will match with another $10k), then about $2,500 per person to deliver the power to each parking spot and pay for the charging unit. After that, one only plays the city rate for electricity (about 10 cents/kWh). At least that's what I've been told... what questions should I be asking?

Thanks for your input everyone!
Sounds relatively inexpensive considering the work to be done.
I'd ask about how much power the charging unit puts out and/or if they'd be willing to put in a Tesla wall connector. Idealy, it'd be around 20kW but it's not terribly important if you don't drive a lot.

You might also inquire as to if and how the federal tax credit for the charging station applies.

Other than that, I'd simply ask: Where do I sign up?!

Sounds relatively inexpensive considering the work to be done.
I'd ask about how much power the charging unit puts out and/or if they'd be willing to put in a Tesla wall connector. Idealy, it'd be around 20kW but it's not terribly important if you don't drive a lot.

You might also inquire as to if and how the federal tax credit for the charging station applies.

Other than that, I'd simply ask: Where do I sign up?!

You might want to pitch installs of any level 2 charger, which will be able to service all EV cars. Helps if there's non Tesla EV advocates / owners around.

Worst case is to ask if you can put a standard plug at some/all parking spaces. Less cost. Trickle charging better than zero. +3 miles / hour.

There's zero reason why you couldn't buy an EV if you don't own your own charging station. In this day and age there are many places to charge and even more as EVs become more popular. If people keep making excuses, then we'll be addicted to gasoline forever.

Also, you don't need to wait until you're at a low charge to charge up. If you are not travelling and you're proverbially "running on fumes" during your daily commute then you're just lazy.

Around me I've never seen a charge spot occupied for a long amount of time except the ones at my work's parking lot (because it's a parking lot).
Depends where you live. Around here there's 0 EV infrastructure. I think there's 1 publicly available charging station in the city, put in by Sun Country Highways at the Peavey Mart.