Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at a maximum of 32A with a 60A home charger [Model 3 SR+ in Canada]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However my understanding is the new Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) batteries support a higher Model 3 RWD charging rate. I was told by Tesla that when I receive delivery of my Model 3 next month, it will be from the Freemont factory, which has switched from the older Nickel Cobalt batteries to the new LFP batteries for the Model 3 RWD. I've heard from several sources that Model 3 with LFP batteries supports a faster charging rate. Just not sure if that would translate to me seeing a difference the a 40 AMP Mobile charger with a built in 14-50 plug. If it does, I will then purchase the 40 AMP version of the Mobile charger.

I think you may be mixing up a couple of things (or tesla may be mixing up what you are asking).

SR+ tesla model 3s level 2 charge at 32amp maximum... full stop. There is no tesla SR+ / Standard range / LFP that charges at faster than 32amps on Level 2 home charging. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Now, its possible that a LFP model 3s can DC fast charge (which has zero to do with your mobile adapters / wall adapters etc) faster than non LFP SR model 3s, but I havent been following that.

With that being said, for your home charging, the car will not charge faster than 32amps. Period.

Edit... I didnt see that @ucmndd said basically the same thing. I wasnt attempting to pile on, but will leave my response here.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart and Rocky_H
However my understanding is the new Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) batteries support a higher Model 3 RWD charging rate. I was told by Tesla that when I receive delivery of my Model 3 next month, it will be from the Freemont factory, which has switched from the older Nickel Cobalt batteries to the new LFP batteries for the Model 3 RWD. I've heard from several sources that Model 3 with LFP batteries supports a faster charging rate. Just not sure if that would translate to me seeing a difference the a 40 AMP Mobile charger with a built in 14-50 plug. If it does, I will then purchase the 40 AMP version of the Mobile charger.
The model 3 RWD does have the new LFP battery the LR and Performance have the NCA battery.
My car which is the new RWD build date of 24 April 2022 has the LFP and only supports 32A max.
Whoever is telling you that it takes a faster charging rate does not know what they are talking about.

Read the link I posted earlier, that is right from Tesla

I have a CP-50 chargepoint charger that is hardwired and on a 60 Amp breaker. When it was first installed, our Tesla 3 would charge at 48 amps. A while ago I noticed that it was charging at 32A. It will show as 32/32A. Used to be 48/48A which is correct for a 60A breaker. Since the car is showing as a max rate of 32A now, there is some sort of handshake between home Chargepoint and the Tesla 3. Chargepoint has sent me another wall Chargepoint but it has made no difference. The Tesla 3 will charge just fine on a Tesla SC. I tried my neighbors tesla 3 on our wall charger and it also was limited to 32A. So, who’s responsibility is this? Tesla? ChargePoint? Anyone else having issues with ChargePoint home chargers?
One of your phases failed in the AC to DC converter. Same happened on my 3 and repaired under warranty.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
One of your phases failed in the AC to DC converter. Same happened on my 3 and repaired under warranty.

Um.. no. If you read the thread, you will see that the OP of this thread has a Model 3 RWD (SR+) and that car can only L2 charge at 32amps so, no, one of their phases did not fail, and no it was not a warranty issue for them approximately 1 year ago when they posted this thread.