Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at a maximum of 32A with a 60A home charger [Model 3 SR+ in Canada]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a CP-50 chargepoint charger that is hardwired and on a 60 Amp breaker. When it was first installed, our Tesla 3 would charge at 48 amps. A while ago I noticed that it was charging at 32A. It will show as 32/32A. Used to be 48/48A which is correct for a 60A breaker. Since the car is showing as a max rate of 32A now, there is some sort of handshake between home Chargepoint and the Tesla 3. Chargepoint has sent me another wall Chargepoint but it has made no difference. The Tesla 3 will charge just fine on a Tesla SC. I tried my neighbors tesla 3 on our wall charger and it also was limited to 32A. So, who’s responsibility is this? Tesla? ChargePoint? Anyone else having issues with ChargePoint home chargers?

I have a CP-50 chargepoint charger that is hardwired and on a 60 Amp breaker. When it was first installed, our Tesla 3 would charge at 48 amps. A while ago I noticed that it was charging at 32A. It will show as 32/32A. Used to be 48/48A which is correct for a 60A breaker. Since the car is showing as a max rate of 32A now, there is some sort of handshake between home Chargepoint and the Tesla 3. Chargepoint has sent me another wall Chargepoint but it has made no difference. The Tesla 3 will charge just fine on a Tesla SC. I tried my neighbors tesla 3 on our wall charger and it also was limited to 32A. So, who’s responsibility is this? Tesla? ChargePoint? Anyone else having issues with ChargePoint home chargers?
Others probably, no, most likely know more about this. If mine I would contact Tesla service. Sounds like the onboard charger. I assume it is still under warranty.

There are too many variables to say for certain, but here’s some more info to get you going in the right direction.

1) the fact that the car charges fine on a “Tesla SC”, which I assume means supercharger, is irrelevant and will not help you troubleshoot.

2) Some Model 3s, specifically the non long range models, only have 32 amp onboard chargers, so without knowing more about your neighbor’s car it’s impossible to know if this is useful information.

3) Your car has an onboard charger, also called a power conversion system, that is made up of 3 individual 16 amp charging boards. It is not all that uncommon for one of them to fail, reducing your max charging capability by a multiple of 16 amps. So it may well be your car - you would need to test it somewhere else on a level 2 charger (not a supercharger) capable of providing more than 32 amps to know for sure. This would be a reasonable next troubleshooting step.

Which model 3 do you have? For the M3 Sr+(or it is called as RWD), Tesla states it only can charge at the max of 32A.

Reactions: house9 and Lephturn
There are too many variables to say for certain, but here’s some more info to get you going in the right direction.

1) the fact that the car charges fine on a “Tesla SC”, which I assume means supercharger, is irrelevant and will not help you troubleshoot.

2) Some Model 3s, specifically the non long range models, only have 32 amp onboard chargers, so without knowing more about your neighbor’s car it’s impossible to know if this is useful information.

3) Your car has an onboard charger, also called a power conversion system, that is made up of 3 individual 16 amp charging boards. It is not all that uncommon for one of them to fail, reducing your max charging capability by a multiple of 16 amps. So it may well be your car - you would need to test it somewhere else on a level 2 charger (not a supercharger) capable of providing more than 32 amps to know for sure. This would be a reasonable next troubleshooting step.
Ah, ok. That is very useful info. I did not know about the 16 amp charging boards. Very interesting. Our Model 3 is not a long range model, but it had been charging at 48 amps for at least a month. Tesla says it should charge at that if its a 60 amp breaker/ wall charger. Car is less then 2 years old so some warranty still, so I will have to find a level 2 charger and try it some how. I just don’t know anyone with one. There are some tesla chargers at a local distillery but I don’t know what they are wired for but will check. Thanks for this information.

Ah, ok. That is very useful info. I did not know about the 16 amp charging boards. Very interesting. Our Model 3 is not a long range model, but it had been charging at 48 amps for at least a month. Tesla says it should charge at that if its a 60 amp breaker/ wall charger. Car is less then 2 years old so some warranty still, so I will have to find a level 2 charger and try it some how. I just don’t know anyone with one. There are some tesla chargers at a local distillery but I don’t know what they are wired for but will check. Thanks for this information.

What exact year and model do you have?

I can’t speak with authority for Canadian spec cars, but to my knowledge ALL standard range / standard range plus cars have only ever had 32 amp onboard chargers.

What exact year and model do you have?

I can’t speak with authority for Canadian spec cars, but to my knowledge ALL standard range / standard range plus cars have only ever had 32 amp onboard chargers.
I have a 2021 standard range Model 3. I was told by the tesla tech that it can charge at 48 Amps. It also was charging at that rate for well over a month before something changed. I will contact Tesla again to ask that question as maybe they were mistaken, but I don’t see how as it had been charging at the 48 amp rate before.

I have a 2021 standard range Model 3. I was told by the tesla tech that it can charge at 48 Amps. It also was charging at that rate for well over a month before something changed. I will contact Tesla again to ask that question as maybe they were mistaken, but I don’t see how as it had been charging at the 48 amp rate before.

I suspect you are confusing 48 kilometers per hour with 48 amps.

I second what @ucmndd said. I am not 100% sure about SR+ in Canada, but I can guarantee you 100% unequivocally, that Model 3 Standard Range and Standard Range + vehicles in the US can NOT charge at a higher rate than 32 amps per hour.

As I said, I suspect you saw the number "48" on the screen and thought it was amps, when it was kilometers. Of course I have no idea, but otherwise you would have the only SR+ vehicle I have ever heard of, that is charging at 48amps. I would suggest asking the question "what is your Model 3 SR+ charge rate in Canada?" in the Canada specific subforum, here:

If others confirm they charge at 48 AMPS (not 48 kilometers) with a SR+ vehicle in Canada, I would be surprised, but it would be interesting information to know. Until that time, I am going to assume that your car is like every other SR+ that I have ever read about, and only has 2 onboard chargers (32 amps) instead of 3 (48 amps).

I suspect you are confusing 48 kilometers per hour with 48 amps.

I second what @ucmndd said. I am not 100% sure about SR+ in Canada, but I can guarantee you 100% unequivocally, that Model 3 Standard Range and Standard Range + vehicles in the US can NOT charge at a higher rate than 32 amps per hour.

As I said, I suspect you saw the number "48" on the screen and thought it was amps, when it was kilometers. Of course I have no idea, but otherwise you would have the only SR+ vehicle I have ever heard of, that is charging at 48amps. I would suggest asking the question "what is your Model 3 SR+ charge rate in Canada?" in the Canada specific subforum, here:

If others confirm they charge at 48 AMPS (not 48 kilometers) with a SR+ vehicle in Canada, I would be surprised, but it would be interesting information to know. Until that time, I am going to assume that your car is like every other SR+ that I have ever read about, and only has 2 onboard chargers (32 amps) instead of 3 (48 amps).
Well, I know I was not looking at kilometers as we have the screen set to %. I know I saw 48 amps and not just once. I also have in a chat conversation with Tesla, that the onboard charger is capable of a Max of 48 amps. Maybe he was mistaken as to my model but he was looking at my specs from my account, so I will restart that conversation again with Tesla. Our Tesla is a 2021, so wondering if the onboard charger was updated with that model year possibly. I will let you know either way.

Where did you get this information from? Is that noted somewhere?

also from the main model 3 page

Model 3 Specs
Rear-Wheel Drive
  • Battery
    Standard Range
  • Acceleration
    6.1s 0-100 km/h
  • Range
    438 km (EPA est.)
  • Drive
    Rear-Wheel Drive
  • Seating
    5 Adults
  • Wheels
    18" or 19"
  • Weight
    1,752 kg
  • Cargo
    649 litres
  • Displays
    15" Center Touchscreen
  • Supercharging Max/ Payment Type
    170 kW max; Pay Per Use
  • Onboard Charger Max
    7.6 kW max (32A)
  • Warranty
    Basic Vehicle - 4 years or 80,000 km, whichever comes first
    Battery & Drive Unit - 8 years or 160,000 km, whichever comes first

Well, I know I was not looking at kilometers as we have the screen set to %. I know I saw 48 amps and not just once. I also have in a chat conversation with Tesla, that the onboard charger is capable of a Max of 48 amps. Maybe he was mistaken as to my model but he was looking at my specs from my account, so I will restart that conversation again with Tesla. Our Tesla is a 2021, so wondering if the onboard charger was updated with that model year possibly. I will let you know either way.
The charging screen always shows both amps and mph/kph for a charging rate, it doesn't matter what you have the battery level display set to.

Okay, so finally got to the bottom of this, and you guys were correct all along. Onboard charger is 32A. Bizarre thing is, I have been dealing with a Tesla rep for the last month and he has been telling me that it will charge at 48 amps. So I have been trying everything including replacing the Chargepoint station. After talking to you guys, I mentioned to him that I was told the onboard charger is 32 amps for the model of car he sold us. Conversation went dark for a few days and when I asked him again, he came back with a big apology and said he somehow overlooked that issue with the model 3 ST+. Bizarre to say the least. As for what I and my electrician saw, it must have been the kilometers I guess. I can’t confirm this at the moment as its my daughters car and its not here. I also asked if I could replace the onboard charger with a 48 version. He said to talk to the service department. Anyone know if thats possible? Where is the onboard charger located? Thanks again for the help, sorry for the confusion.