Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at AirBNB or homes

JetFalcon

Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Orange County CA
Memorial day weekend, my college friends (of 10 years) rented an Airbnb in Valley Center CA. It's a middle of nowhere type place that's about 20 min away from Escondido, the nearest city. And I knew I had to plan a little more to ensure I had enough to make it back to the nearest supercharging, whether I'm gonna go home or explore SD afterwards. Nearest supercharging were at least 30-40 min away.

I brought my charging cable in case there was a chance to charge. Thankfully there was a 110 outlet that was within reachable distance from the driveway. But it took a long time to charge from 50-60%. But since I stayed at the house the entire day over Sat & Sun, left on Monday morning, I was able to top off. So if you know you're gonna stay somewhere long, will charging through 110V outlet still be worth taking the cable with you? I'm just wondering how it can be possible to charge with the 240V outlet.

My friends don't drive EVs so I guess finding a house with EV charging wasn't priority. But if that is important to someone, is it possible to find a home that has EV charging, and will they charge you? Or how will a friend / family understand the idea what a 240V is if they are willing to work with you with charging the Tesla if they invited you to stay over for a few days?

I'm wondering if most AirBNB are okay with people charging their cars. Or if its a friend / family you're visiting, do they need to be concerned about the electricity bill?

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
It seems like charging through 120V was worth taking the cable for you, why wouldn't it be for others?

I imagine if there's a 240V outlet that the airbnb place wouldn't mind you using, they'll mention that they are EV friendly and what kind of outlet it is in the listing. If you don't want to rely on that, you can always take the entire set($220 at Tesla) and take your chances.

Note that the Gen3 HPWC can now(very recently) be set to bill the Tesla account of the owner that plugs in, but that might only be for corporate-installed entities, not necessarily airbnb's.

I would think that AirBNB folks wouldn't be that uptight about people charging their cars. Sure its an added expense, but if they put a big sign up on their listing saying "Not okay charging your car here" they'd drive(pun intended) EV people away, all for $5-$15 in electricity, depending on the amount of charge and local utility prices. If you feel guilty about it, leave a tip. BTW, if you try to get 65kw through a 120V line, that's a multi-day affair so you are therefore paying for multi-days of Airbnb costs, driving the per-day cost down even further.

My big concern plugging into a strangers 120V outlet would be either tripping a breaker or causing a fire. The latter is unlikely, but that would really put a damper on my vacation.

There's apparently a supercharger coming to Escondido in 2022, BTW.

Reactions: Rocky_H

Hayseed_MS

Who's the Good Doge?
Jan 19, 2021
Strongbadia
It seems like charging through 120V was worth taking the cable for you, why wouldn't it be for others?

I imagine if there's a 240V outlet that the airbnb place wouldn't mind you using, they'll mention that they are EV friendly and what kind of outlet it is in the listing. If you don't want to rely on that, you can always take the entire set($220 at Tesla) and take your chances.

Note that the Gen3 HPWC can now(very recently) be set to bill the Tesla account of the owner that plugs in, but that might only be for corporate-installed entities, not necessarily airbnb's.

I would think that AirBNB folks wouldn't be that uptight about people charging their cars. Sure its an added expense, but if they put a big sign up on their listing saying "Not okay charging your car here" they'd drive(pun intended) EV people away, all for $5-$15 in electricity, depending on the amount of charge and local utility prices. If you feel guilty about it, leave a tip. BTW, if you try to get 65kw through a 120V line, that's a multi-day affair so you are therefore paying for multi-days of Airbnb costs, driving the per-day cost down even further.

My big concern plugging into a strangers 120V outlet would be either tripping a breaker or causing a fire. The latter is unlikely, but that would really put a damper on my vacation.

There's apparently a supercharger coming to Escondido in 2022, BTW.

Sorry to hijack but can you share more details on the red underlined part in your post?

Watts_Up

Mar 4, 2019
In a galaxy far, far away
Sorry to hijack but can you share more details on the red underlined part in your post?
It seems that Tesla started to provide this type of payment for the V3 generation of wall chargers:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC