TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Charging at Airport long term parking - best practice?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by xkwizit, Apr 27, 2016.

1. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

When you go on a vacation and park your car at airport long term parking for 3-10 days, assuming there is a charger available, would you park at the charger or normal parking stall?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

1. Best practice is to find a 110V and plug it in. No one is inconvenienced and charge level is, at a minimum, maintained.

2. 3-10 days is really nothing unless you're low on charge. Also if it's very cold the car will wake up periodically to warm the battery.

3. A number of EVSEs charge by the hour whether they are suppling electricity or not. This can get expensive.

4. Be sure power saving (sleep mode) is enabled.

• Informative x 1
  3. BertL

BertL Supporting Member

Right, as @jerry33 suggests, unless you can find a 110V, park in a normal stall. That's too long to hog a true charging station and not really be using it. Check a number of other threads on best practices with energy savings (ON) settings and "always connected" (checked) to reduce daily vampire drain (that combo only drains 2-3 mi/day in my S90D) and you should be fine for many days depending of course on the remaining charge you started with. ;)

4. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

At the Tampa airport these are dedicated EV spots with both 120V outlets and J1772 charging stations. But there are 2 parking spots for every 1 charging station. So I park in one of the spots and plug in to 120V, leaving the higher power station free for the other spot. I set the car to maintain 50% charge. The day before returning home I use the mobile app to bump it back up to 90% and it's ready when I get there.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  5. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

For example at the Austin, TX airport, they put in 10 x L1 chargers. I've not used them, but I hope they are 2 spots per charger so when you leave you can connect another car...

6. Dwdnjck

Dwdnjck Member

Valet parking spot in at Aladdin Parking in San Diego will charge your car and then park it. They also have charging in self park stalls.

7. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I've parked for 4 days at the airport and returned to find not much energy lost. No big deal.

8. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

It depends on how far you need to drive to get to the airport whether it's a big deal or not. If someone's airport is 100 miles away they would like to be able to plug in while parked there.