Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at an RV park with a 50A outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going to visit/stay with some friends who will have their RV parked at a RV park and I would like to charge up the night before I leave. Is there anything I should be concerned about when charging at an RV part that has a 50A outlet? Do I assume correctly that the car has a surge protector built in, as an example. Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

BUT, remember, if their RV is plugged in, you may have to disconnect their camper before plugging in. Being disconnected for 8 hours to charge may mean no air conditioning or refrigerators. And plugging into an adjacent site may cause the campground owners some consternation

BUT, remember, if their RV is plugged in, you may have to disconnect their camper before plugging in. Being disconnected for 8 hours to charge may mean no air conditioning or refrigerators. And plugging into an adjacent site may cause the campground owners some consternation

Two strategies we used when plugging in our Tesla while pulling a camper (Bowlus)

1. Bowlus plugged into 30A/120V and Tesla plugged into 50A/240V. Depending on whether we were using AC or water heater we would have the Tesla current set for between 20-40A.

2. Tesla plugged into 30A/120V using an adapter https://www.amazon.com/AC-WORKS-Electric-Vehicle-charging/dp/B06XHDRBBT and Bowlus plugged into 15A/120V (or not plugged in at all).

As for using a surge protector we use carry both a 30A and 50A protector when traveling with the Bowlus. But it may be overkill to get one just for just one night. And your friends with the RV might let you use one they carry.

Reactions: Big Earl
thats a cool looking trailer, except the flat front seems to be a "drag" machine, seems like you need a false front to shape it better for aerodynamics.... How was the KW/ per mile?

Thanks. Energy usage on our 3000 mile trip averaged 489wH/mile (best leg 369Wh/mi, worst leg 574Wh/mi).

Actually it is one of the most aerodynamic trailers on the market.
Model X Travel Trailer Consumption Analysis

Designed by someone involved in Spirit of St Louis construction.
William Hawley Bowlus - Wikipedia

Do I assume correctly that the car has a surge protector built in, as an example.

Someone posted this here:

teslaliving | January 18, 2015
I asked Tesla service about this a while back. The response I got:

"Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors Technical Support. The Model S has protections in place built into the cable as well as the car to avoid any issues with electrical supply. The car is very smart and will protect the battery and charging system from any outside influence.”

So according to Tesla, surge protection is not needed.

When plugging Tesla into RV pedestal, do you need adapter for 14-50 or does normal home charger adapter work? I am fairly sure the adapter that came with car is not the correct configuration.

Asking for my 2014 MS (before auto driving hardware available).

I see on the Tesla sales site an adapter that's 14-50 but Gen 2. I can't imagine my 2014 is Gen 2. I am not home with Bianca (MS) but am camping in RV park in RV. But would love to utilize RV parks for extended road trips into places not served by SC's or Destination Chargers.

TIA

In the early S days (2012 and part of 2013?), you would get a 120V adapter and "your choice" of 240V adapter for your Gen 1 EVSE. But almost everybody got the 14-50, and it seems like the closest thing we have to a charging "standard" for 240V outlets, so now everybody (gen 1 and gen 2 EVSEs), at least in the US, gets a 120V adapter and a NEMA 14-50 240V adapter. At least by default; maybe you can still request a substitution.

If you have a 2014, I would assume that you have a 14-50 adapter with it. But anything can happen, including losing it. You are looking for one like the last adapter in this picture:

adapters-graphic-all.jpg

When plugging Tesla into RV pedestal, do you need adapter for 14-50 or does normal home charger adapter work? I am fairly sure the adapter that came with car is not the correct configuration.
You almost certainly did get a 14-50 adapter with your original charging cable. My car is a March 2014 old one like yours, and that's what they came with. That is the very reason why Tesla decided to include 14-50 instead of something simpler like a 6-50, it's because in those early days, when there wasn't much EV charging infrastructure, RV parks and campgrounds did already have 14-50 outlets available, so that would give Tesla owners the most extensive charging away from big cities.

The Tesla store does still sell the 1st generation charging adapters, so if you have lost yours, you can still order one.

Normal 14-50 plug that comes with UMC is fine for RV parks that have 50A/240V service. For RV parks with 30A/120V service you need one of these: AC WORKS [EVTT30MS] EVSE RV/ Generator TT-30 Plug to 50-Amp Electric Vehicle Adapter for Tesla. For this adapter you need to manually turn down the charging amps to 24A.
It is long past time to stop recommending those kinds of adapters that adapt to the wrong level of amps of circuit, which require people to remember to manually turn down the amps in the car. EVSEAdapters started making 1st generation and 2nd generation charging adapters that have the proper resistor inside them so they communicate the proper amp level to the Tesla mobile charge cable, so it sends the right signal to the car. Here is the Gen 1 adapter for those TT-30 outlets at campgrounds.
TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S and X Gen 1

• Informative
Reactions: Rockster
My thanks to all for their input. I just ordered the adapter from the poster quoted below. Really appreciate it.

It is long past time to stop recommending those kinds of adapters that adapt to the wrong level of amps of circuit, which require people to remember to manually turn down the amps in the car. EVSEAdapters started making 1st generation and 2nd generation charging adapters that have the proper resistor inside them so they communicate the proper amp level to the Tesla mobile charge cable, so it sends the right signal to the car. Here is the Gen 1 adapter for those TT-30 outlets at campgrounds.
TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S and X Gen 1

If you need decide to collect some official Gen1 adapters for Model S/X UMC, you can find them here:
Model S/X Gen 1 NEMA Adapters

If been tempted to pull the trigger on 10-30 and 14-30 but I've literally never found one of those outlets when trying to charge.

I think I have a 6-50 squirreled away somewhere.

If been tempted to pull the trigger on 10-30 and 14-30 but I've literally never found one of those outlets when trying to charge.
The need for that kind of thing is just kind of going away with how much more infrastructure is here in 2018. I have the big 14-50 extension cord and the 10-30 and 14-50 adapters and such, but even when I went on my 5,000 mile road trip this year, I didn't bother to bring them, because I wasn't going to be far off the Supercharger path. I did stay overnight with my mom and my cousin along the way in Missouri, and certainly could have used their dryer outlets with those adapters, but it just didn't matter. I plugged into regular wall outlets at both places to grab 30 miles or so overnight just because I could, but it wasn't really necessary.