Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at BP fuel stations [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I have a home charger today I had to make an unexpected journey and had to charge at a BP fuel station. I had a problem with getting the charger to work and it didn’t show on the charger screen until I’d swiped my card several times that the car was charging. I stopped the charge when I’d charged for another 70 miles and the cost on the screen was just over £11. However, this evening when I looked at my credit card it didn’t show the £11 transaction but 3 transactions for £30 each. Has anyone else had this problem with BP fuel station chargers? Obviously first thing tomorrow I’ll contact my credit card provider and dispute the transactions.

If it doesn't clear you can report it to the credit card provider, usually much easier than going to the retailer and it counts against the retailer this way. You have lots of regulatory protection here, so won't be an issue.

You can also call your card provider to check, for peace of mind.

Typically it takes 5 days for these to clear.

Reactions: drewpost
If it doesn't clear you can report it to the credit card provider, usually much easier than going to the retailer and it counts against the retailer this way. You have lots of regulatory protection here, so won't be an issue.

You can also call your card provider to check, for peace of mind.

Typically it takes 5 days for these to clear.
I tried that with Halifax, they weren't interested unless I could show with a receipt that I had been overcharged, and of course you get no receipt on a tap and pay machine.

It's bizarre to me.. BP fuel stations have to clear preauth in (IIRC) 12 minutes, due to the rules around selling fuel. So they have the systems in place to do this stuff quickly already... but because electricity isn't a fuel they can take as long as they like.. which is surely extra effort?

It's bizarre to me.. BP fuel stations have to clear preauth in (IIRC) 12 minutes, due to the rules around selling fuel. So they have the systems in place to do this stuff quickly already... but because electricity isn't a fuel they can take as long as they like.. which is surely extra effort?
Also don't holds usually stay longer on credit cards vs debit cards

Reactions: drewpost
Although I have a home charger today I had to make an unexpected journey and had to charge at a BP fuel station. I had a problem with getting the charger to work and it didn’t show on the charger screen until I’d swiped my card several times that the car was charging. I stopped the charge when I’d charged for another 70 miles and the cost on the screen was just over £11. However, this evening when I looked at my credit card it didn’t show the £11 transaction but 3 transactions for £30 each. Has anyone else had this problem with BP fuel station chargers? Obviously first thing tomorrow I’ll contact my credit card provider and dispute the transactions.
You've done better than me, the BP chargers always seem to have broken screens whenever I've tried them.
I now avoid them, they seem to be about as good as the ecotricity chargers (which isn't saying much)

OK as a last resort only... (in my opinion)

Had the same, though at a pod-point 50kw charger. Swiped debit card twice thinking they hadn't gone through and was charged £60 each time! Charge didn't get reversed as I never took any power as it didn't work. Took about 3 weeks to get refund.

Last edited:
The ex Polar-now-BP Pulse chargers are frankly a shambles of pricing obfuscation. Whether it's accidental or deliberate is up for discussion.

I've used a 50kW charger a couple of times in North Walsham, Norfolk this week.

The guest tap and pay price is £0.35/kWh
The BP Pulse app with 'member' top-up pricing is £0.38/kWh
The live interactive map on the BP Pulse website says the price is £0.48kW/h

Did you take any photo or receive any receipt? Please join our "Never again BP" club.

Also don't holds usually stay longer on credit cards vs debit cards
Card shouldn't make much difference.. It's really down to the payment processor, and sometimes the retailer if they fail to release the hold and just let it time out.. I've seen holds drop in a couple of minutes when done properly (eg. SodaStream, who use it as part of their web ordering service.. it puts a hold on as you fill your basket and releases if you leave the website without buying). I've seen it take 2 weeks.. I had one that kept renewing the hold even though no money was owing until I had the bank remove it (Ecotricity, you'll be unsurprised to learn).

Credit card companies may process it slower as typically you don't have live notification of your balance since it really only matters at the end of a month.

Was digging out the fuel transaction rules and I found some EV charging transaction rules I didn't know about...

"Each electric vehicle charging Transaction for which authorization is requested before vehicle charging begins is properly processed as follows:"
"If the Transaction is finalized for an amount that: a. Exceeds the authorized amount, then the Acquirer must send an additional (incremental) authorization request for the unauthorized amount (refer to section 2.9); or record. b. Is less than the authorized amount, then within 24 hours of finalization, the Acquirer must either send a partial reversal for the excess authorized amount, or submit the Transaction clearing 4. In the case of a Transaction cancelled by the Cardholder, then within 24 hours, the Acquirer must send a full reversal request."

So the rules aren't as strict as for fuel.. For reference the fuel section contains this:
"Within 60 minutes of receiving the advice message, the Issuer must release any hold that the Issuer placed on the Cardholder’s available funds or credit in excess of the Transaction amount specified in DE 4 (Amount, Transaction"

(This has changed since I last read it, they've relaxed it I think).

The ex Polar-now-BP Pulse chargers are frankly a shambles of pricing obfuscation. Whether it's accidental or deliberate is up for discussion.

I've used a 50kW charger a couple of times in North Walsham, Norfolk this week.

The guest tap and pay price is £0.35/kWh
The BP Pulse app with 'member' top-up pricing is £0.38/kWh
The live interactive map on the BP Pulse website says the price is £0.48kW/h
And this is why i got rid of my membership ............ although for some reason the RFID still works on a 'free' 7kw charge point - probably it's because it's from a 'charge your car' network but don't know what'll happen with the £1 admin charge