Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at Campgrounds and RV Parks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm trying to plot a course from Raleigh, NC to Orlando, FL and back (with overnight stop at the Disney resort on Hilton Head Island each way, and they were in no way accommodating on the phone tonight), but it is proving to be a real pain as there doesn't appear to be any friendly RV parks on or near HHI. The ones I've found so far are either owner-only, require check-in before dark, have RV-only covenants, etc.

Problem being HHI is where I would be needing a full charge overnight. I could likely top off en route at mealtimes (as each leg would be ~300 miles) without hunting around for an RV park or KOA, but the lack of charging on HHI is making our upcoming trip look like another gas powered one. :eek:

Can't wait for the Superchargers on the southern half of I-95!

Has anyone had any luck getting 50A charging (or greater, one can always dream!) on that stretch of I-95?

Also sounds like WDW is equally EV unfriendly, whether at a Disney resort or park. :mad:

Anyone in either the Hilton Head Island or Lake Buena Vista / greater Orlando area want to trade Model S drive time for amp hours? :wink:

reviving an old thread :) - Anyone have any experiences charging at KOA campgrounds in the New England?

Earlier in this thread Slackjaw posted a number of campground experiences in New England. If you go back about 100 posts you will find them...

We have an RV park in our town. I stopped by there one day and was appalled at their ignorance and unwillingness to be even slightly flexible and accommodating wrt EV charging. But I think that's unusual.

I recently traveled over 2,000 miles in my Roadster (VT -> NC and back) and had reasonably good charging experiences staying at 3 different airbnb residences. In the future if I have to stay overnight I will probably do this again. In each case I was clear with the host ahead of time that I expected to pay extra for the privilege of charging and made sure their dryer outlet was close enough to where I had to park. In some cases I got them to send me a picture of the outlet so I could bring the right adapter. Of course this won't help you if you just need to charge during the day.

So I'm trying to plot a course from Raleigh, NC to Orlando, FL and back (with overnight stop at the Disney resort on Hilton Head Island each way, and they were in no way accommodating on the phone tonight), but it is proving to be a real pain as there doesn't appear to be any friendly RV parks on or near HHI. The ones I've found so far are either owner-only, require check-in before dark, have RV-only covenants, etc.

Problem being HHI is where I would be needing a full charge overnight.

Hilton Head Motorcoach Resort (on Arrow Rd) said they will allow you to charge (Nema 14-50) but only if they have space available, and not overnight. There would be a charge.

The Westin Hotel on HHI does have a charger now IIRC.

As it happens I did see a silver Model S with pano roof heading towards Sea Pines on Saturday morning - may be locals but gotta assume they were charging somewhere.

Hilton Head Motorcoach Resort (on Arrow Rd) said they will allow you to charge (Nema 14-50) but only if they have space available, and not overnight. There would be a charge.

The Westin Hotel on HHI does have a charger now IIRC.

As it happens I did see a silver Model S with pano roof heading towards Sea Pines on Saturday morning - may be locals but gotta assume they were charging somewhere.
Thanks for the updated intel on the area!

We ended up taking the wife's RAV4 and using our DVC points as usual to stay at HHI on the way south, and just motoring through the 650+ miles in one go on the way north, as it would have been a very unpleasant trip if I'd subjected wife & son to the lengthy charging breaks required with the candidate stops not really lining up with location / timing of our usual layovers.

But the future looks great, once the I-95 chargers are in place, looks like road tripping from our part of NC to most of FL will be a breeze! Then once the chargers in NC heading towards TN are online, that pretty much covers every exit route from the state for us.

As to longish day trips or weekends to odd-parts of the state of NC, that will likely still be a pain. Places out in distant parts of the Outer Banks like Cape Hatteras or remote mountain locales like Murphy NC just aren't going to be within reach without a bit more charging infrastructure at >30A.

Google-mapping suggests to me more Goodland, KS than Colby, KS. The middle KS dot is way too far east to be Hays and looks more like around Salina, KS where I70 meets I35.

Goodland KS would be interesting. That's where my wife and I were run out of the KOA campground last May when we were on our Western US trip. We called the next RV park and were told no there too. We made it to within 3.3 miles of the High Plains RV park in Oakley KS when we coasted to a stop! The folks at High Plains RV park were really nice! Made the last 3.3 miles on a flatbed. Looks like progress happens even I KS!

Goodland KS would be interesting. That's where my wife and I were run out of the KOA campground last May when we were on our Western US trip. We called the next RV park and were told no there too. We made it to within 3.3 miles of the High Plains RV park in Oakley KS when we coasted to a stop! The folks at High Plains RV park were really nice! Made the last 3.3 miles on a flatbed. Looks like progress happens even I KS!
What was the rationale the RV parks used to say no? Were they full?

Some RV parks have dodgy wiring, so they don't want the risk of a high current load blowing up their electrical system. I'm not kidding.

IF you have the patience, time and can lower the charge rate from 40 A to 30A or 32A, it should not "blow" anything up.
But LARGE RVs when the weather is warm, and twin A/C units are running, etc. probably put more stress on the same electrical system: Dodgy wiring will fail for those RVs also.

Some of the NEMA 14-50 outlets are NOT wired with 240 V power (~28 miles per hour), but instead 208 V, and they are slower (charging) anyway, 23 to 26 miles per hour.

Fuses, wow. I do remember being in a rural grocery store last year with my daughter. I just had to show her the fuses and blank VHS tapes they had for sale. In urban California, you tend to take modern electrical systems for granted, but they are not the norm everywhere.

Fuses, wow. I do remember being in a rural grocery store last year with my daughter. I just had to show her the fuses and blank VHS tapes they had for sale. In urban California, you tend to take modern electrical systems for granted, but they are not the norm everywhere.

The winner is the 14-50 outlet on the 30A fuse with no replacement any where so you could step down your current and try again.
This is seriously off topic by now. Oops.
Moderators please feel encouraged to move to a better place...

What was the rationale the RV parks used to say no? Were they full?

Not even near full. They wanted to charge me for a full night rate for a few hours in the afternoon. When I tried to negotiate politely the guy got angry and told us "get out of my RV park right now!"
The guy at the next RV park said he didn't have meters on his hookups so he didn't know how much to charge. So he simply said no. When I tried to explain how much it would cost he just said no again and good bye.
The next place, High Plains RV park immediately said sure, come on in! But with 26 miles left on the Rated Miles meter we coasted to a stop on I70 3.3 miles short of High Plains RV park. No, Tesla couldn't figure out why it stopped while showing 26 miles remaining. They wrote it off as if I had shifted it into neutral and was too stupid to put it back in drive again. However, they were able to get me on a flatbed truck within an hour in the middle of nowhere, uh I mean Kansas.
Since then we have suspected that since it was very hot that for some reason the batteries had decided they couldn't / shouldn't give out that last little bit of juice. About four hours later we were on our way again. But for the rest of our trip we were even more careful to have closer to 50 miles spare on each leg of the trip!

Bugeater, thanks for the complete description. Really makes me want to avoid RV parks unless I call ahead and get a welcome invitation. I've never heard of a model S quitting before the range was completely gone. Not good.