Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at Campgrounds and RV Parks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just completed a drive from Austin to California and back. Between Austin and Gallup there are no superchargers, and it's likely to stay that way for a while, so it was necessary to use RV campgrounds. It worked OK, but it's not something I would want to do on a regular basis.

I had no problems with bad wiring, but at least one RV site's 50A only had 200V (industrial 3-phase supply). This reduced the charge rate 20%, which may be an issue if you're expecting to fill up overnight. plugshare.com was useful, but it would be more useful if it included this information. I added a few entries, and updated a few others.

The biggest challenge was driving from Gallup to Santa Rosa, NM in one go. There are no charging opportunities within about 50 miles of Santa Rosa, so you've got to be confident you'll make it. Driving the other direction isn't as much of a problem because there are plenty of opportunities shortly before you get to the Gallup supercharger. Because I wasn't confident heading into Santa Rosa I used a 6kW Chargepoint station across from the Doubletree hotel in Albuquerque for an hour. It turned out to be unnecessary, but there was no way to know that at the time.

Wind was a killer in Texas. The wind turbines around Sweetwater may be producing lots of power, but when it's blowing into your face it's nothing but bad news. Tesla -- PLEASE put a supercharger either here or in Abilene!

Most RV campgrounds, at least the expensive ones, charged me a somewhat reduced rate, typically $25. I didn't try to negotiate, but I did suggest a favorable rate for day use might attract more customers when the outlets are often unoccupied. RV campgrounds that were already around $25 just charged me their overnight rate. Only one offered a day use for $10. The most I paid was $30. The novelty of Tesla's at most of these places seems to be wearing off.

I've paid anywhere from $0 to $20 for a midday charge at RV parks, and from $20 to the park's full rate for an overnight charge. So far I haven't had to pay the full overnight rate for a midday charge, but that's because there were other options, not because park owners haven't asked for it: when it happens I just go elsewhere. I've also heard variations on "No way, we don't want you here." One time that happened (over the phone), I made a point of stopping at that RV park during my trip, even though I'd made other arrangements and didn't need to, just to see if I could persuade the operators to consider saying 'yes' the next time someone called up needing a charge. It worked, because Cottonwood was able to charge there this week, though not without a little difficulty; see Colorado to California and Back Again Using Superchargers and Destination Charging - Page 3

Last edited:
By email, the Augusta/Gardiner (Maine) KOA said they charge $5/hr to it seems there is no uniform KOA policy.

It definitely won't be uniform. KOA campgrounds are independently owned and don't set pricing, although KOA's corporate office from time to time issues guidance. This one, it appears, is not widely communicated and/or has been abandoned and/or simply isn't on the minds of most campground operators.

As I said before, most RV Parks are friendly and reasonable, but there are the unfriendly ones like the woman who hung up the phone on me a second or two after I said "electric car."

Here are some examples:

1. Taos, NM in town - Had meters, but did not want to deal with them. I was in town for two nights with some day touring in between. She suggested two days of in and out for here normal overnight rate. I agreed quickly and thanked her.
  2. Buena Vista, CO - Very friendly, had meters for monthly users, and suggested I pay their monthly rental user rate of $0.14 per kWh. I agreed quickly and thanked them. They told me that they had never seen the meter spin so fast. Total bill was almost $4 for 2.5 hours of charging.
  3. Buena Vista, CO KOA - Closed for season, offered to help, got me hooked up in sub-zero weather, set me up on WiFi in the laundry room that had the heat on at 50˚ to keep the pipes from freezing. Asked about a donation for their "Kamp for Kids" charity. I dropped a $20 bill in the coffee can, the guy broke into a big grin, thanked me, and said to tell other electric car owners about their site.
  4. Salida, CO - They never answer their phone or call back.
  5. Bluff, UT - Called ahead on the Flagstaff to Blanding hypermile route. Bluff is 26 miles before and at almost 2,000 feet lower than Blanding, so it is a good place to add some Joules if you need them. The woman was very friendly and said she would be happy to help if I needed a charge.
  6. Del Norte, CO - Refused to take my money. Thought electric cars were "so cool."
  7. Tuba City, AZ - Wanted full overnight rate, called manager, found out the policy was "free" and told me the best place to charge. Great 245V, 40A charge. Had lunch in their "Hogan" restaurant, bought some gifts in the 1890 "Trading Post," gave the clerk behind the desk $10 for the staff, and said thanks!

I just stay friendly, answer their questions, and have had great luck most of the time. :biggrin:

Cottonwood,
That was my general response from the RV parks too. Quite a range for pricing. Please note: my wife and I are very friendly. When the guy at the Goodland KOA said the price he was already not wanting us there. It was quite obvious. My reaction was surprise because the woman I had spoken to on the phone seemed very friendly. His price was about $50 for a 3 - 4 hour charge. This was in May and they had less than 50% of their sites in use. When he told us to get out we did without hesitation. The real problem came when the next RV park said no too. We too had many of them simply say, what an awesome car. No charge. Can you tell us about the car? The conversation after that was often long and always enjoyable! We met some very nice folks on our trip...

I just completed a trip using RV parks, and I could see both points of view. IMO, unless it's a 1-2 hour stop, anything less than $10 is unfair to the RV park. Their cost per hour of charge is seldom going to be less than $1 per hour on a 50 amp outlet. I usually charge for 7-8 hours, and give them $20, whether they ask for it or not. Most are very grateful, and I have no problems getting a charge the next time I visit(even if the park is completely full).

Haggling over a few bucks 1-2 times a year while driving a $100k car is very tacky. It's also a sure way to piss people off, so other owners will most likely get turned away when they need a charge.

I just completed a trip using RV parks, and I could see both points of view. IMO, unless it's a 1-2 hour stop, anything less than $10 is unfair to the RV park. Their cost per hour of charge is seldom going to be less than $1 per hour on a 50 amp outlet. I usually charge for 7-8 hours, and give them $20, whether they ask for it or not. Most are very grateful, and I have no problems getting a charge the next time I visit(even if the park is completely full).

Haggling over a few bucks 1-2 times a year while driving a $100k car is very tacky. It's also a sure way to piss people off, so other owners will most likely get turned away when they need a charge.

I also like to compare this to getting gas. 28 mph charging on a 50 Amp RV plug is like getting a gallon or more of gasoline per hour if you were driving an equivalent ICE. Paying for electricity where you need some Joules is just considerate of the EV owner.

Personally, I would be happy if there was a national RV Park policy of $5 per hour for EV charging with a cap of the overnight rate. It would avoid all of these discussions, give RV Park owners a little extra income, and give all of the EV owners a nice backbone charging network when we have to live off of the land out in the wild! :wink:

I would be even happier to pay $10 per hour to RV parks that used their electrical infrastructure to install 70, 75, or 80A J1772 EVSE's near their power distribution panels. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I also like to compare this to getting gas. 28 mph charging on a 50 Amp RV plug is like getting a gallon or more of gasoline per hour if you were driving an equivalent ICE. Paying for electricity where you need some Joules is just considerate of the EV owner.

Personally, I would be happy if there was a national RV Park policy of $5 per hour for EV charging with a cap of the overnight rate. It would avoid all of these discussions, give RV Park owners a little extra income, and give all of the EV owners a nice backbone charging network when we have to live off of the land out in the wild! :wink:

I would be even happier to pay $10 per hour to RV parks that used their electrical infrastructure to install 70, 75, or 80A J1772 EVSE's near their power distribution panels. :biggrin:

Perhaps lobby this org and ask thet they have their members adopt this... Welcome to arvc | National Association of RV Parks Campgrounds | Centennial, CO

I would think each RV park could dedicate one outlet that is made for EVs (able to sustain the load) but is still dual use. They would make that the last spot they fill with an RV.

Adding a 14-50 to their main distribution area without need to run water, sewer, etc, should be very cheap for the RV Park. If Tesla would approve these sites for the half price (not in a prominent location), $600, offer on an HPWC, then an 80 Amp HPWC could probably be put in for less than $1,000. Maybe, we could do something like the Sun Country Highway or a program with Sun Country and use tax deductible donations to offer a free install of a 14-50 and/or an HPWC at an RV Park in return for an agreement by the RV Park to be welcoming to EV's and not charge more than $5/hr for a 14-50 and not more than $10/hr for an 80 Amp HPWC or J1772.

I seem to remember something about Tesla having some sort of program to either give hotels HPWCs or offer them at a discount - if there is such a program, maybe RV campgrounds could get in on the action?

That's what I was talking about. If the HPWC is put in a prominent location by the right place, Tesla will give them the HPWC if the hotel, etc, pays the install cost. If it is a less prominent location (like next to the power center in an RV Park) Tesla will discount the HPWC to half price, or $600. For an 80A EVSE, that is the best deal going, but of course, is Tesla proprietary. :wink:

Thanks to stevezzzz and cottonwood for trailblazing....We will stop and charge at the Quality Inn in Tuba City on Friday. I called and spoke to IVA and she welcomed us with open arms. ROAD TRIP here we come! This is a incredibly scenic shortcut and we are stoked!!

Thanks to stevezzzz and cottonwood for trailblazing....We will stop and charge at the Quality Inn in Tuba City on Friday. I called and spoke to IVA and she welcomed us with open arms. ROAD TRIP here we come! This is a incredibly scenic shortcut and we are stoked!!

If you have the chance, try the Farmington to Silverthorne route the other way. You can get a nice overnight with a soak in the hot springs, while you get full charge from the J1772 at Incredible Pagosa Vacation Rentals. Any day but Sunday, a little top off at the J1772 in Salida at Wood's High Mountain Distillery and it's a joy to drive on. If you have dual chargers, both J1772's are 70A.

Have fun!