Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at commuter car parks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a discussion today about provision of EVSE for charging of cars at commuter car parks at stations or T-Way stops.

Given that a commuter that is taking the train or express bus to work is typically parked for 8-10 hours charging facilities could be fairly low key if you are only looking to make up the trip from home to the car park (which in most cases is probably 10-20kms tops). At that level even provision of 10A outlets would be sufficient.

What are your thoughts on most appropriate type of EVSE for a commuter car park?

Is it only really relevant to PHEVs and low range EVs?

Should people be charged to charge?

Would availability of charging bays encourage you to use public transport rather than driving the whole way (assuming you have a longer distance commute).

I'd say largely pointless unless you don't have a garage. It costs less than 3c per km to drive a model s. A 10A connection would put 80km or more back into a car during a normal day.

I live 20km from my office - so a 40km round trip assuming I'm not visiting a customer. That's $1.20. Public transport would cost $8.40 daily or $6 per week vs $42 for public transport.

The only thing that'd get me on public transport would be if it's a lot faster, more convenient or a lot cheaper. I live 5km from the station and would need to be there really early to get a park. That'd be a whole 24c in electricity that I'd be getting at the carpark. Not much incentive.

Yes thats what I did when I went OS for 3 weeks, even put it on off peak charging and 8 amps so as to be kind to the grid (and any thing else attached to that circuit.) fully charged and ready to go when I got back. Nice feeling.
Would make sense at long term airport car parks though. 10 amp would be plenty at say park and fly.

I'd agree with that - even over a few days it'd work well to maintain the battery. To be fair though, all they need to supply is a 10A outlet.
Our cars go without connection for around 45 days during the journey to australia. A few days or weeks unplugged at an airport is not going to be an issue. Indeed I'm a fan of not having unnecessary charging points as it suggests to the public tesla's can't go far, or severly limit your lifestyle.