Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at Disney in Florida?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the first major road trip that we are planning with the Tesla is down to Disney with the kids. We are looking to book the accommodations now but we are wondering if anyone has a hotel on site that they are aware of that provides charging ports?

Plugshare app shows a few near the park. Sheraton Vistana Resort has a free one available 24/7 to anyone, but I can't vouch for the accommodations since I've never stayed there. There's also free charging at Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek. Bahama Bay Resort has an HPWC and looks pretty conveniently located, not too far.

Reactions: MrShakeHands
Disney does not offer destination charging at their resorts.
Epcot has 4 Chargepoint chargers that cost 35 cents a kwh. We have arrived at 11 am on several occaisions to find them full ( on one occaision ICEd. )
Disney Springs has 3 Chargepoint at 35 cents a kwh on top of the Orange parking garage that seem to usually be open. There is no direct way to the Parks from Disney Springs via Disney transportation.
There is a Supercharger at the Turkey Lake rest area on the Florida Turnpike. You can access it from both directions on the TP and we have often left it going in the opposite direction We entered.
I know there are several non Disney hotels in the area that offer destination charging and there are Chademo chargers around town.
We are Disney annual passholders and if it were me I'd stay at a Disney resort using their transportation to get to the parks and charge at the Supercharger for my return trip. Of course that assumes you are only visiting Disney. If you are planning to visit other attractions in Orlando an offsite hotel with destination charging probably would be more practical.

See:
Disney's current position regarding electric chargers

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
Plugshare app shows a few near the park. Sheraton Vistana Resort has a free one available 24/7 to anyone, but I can't vouch for the accommodations since I've never stayed there. There's also free charging at Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek. Bahama Bay Resort has an HPWC and looks pretty conveniently located, not too far.

While I haven't used the charger at Sheraton Vistana Resort, I have stayed there several times, it's a nice resort, and it's very easy to get to Disney or other attractions from there.

Received the following description from Disney today:

ChargePoint charging ports can be found at the front of the Journey parking lot at Epcot, at the front of the Peacock Parking lot at Disney's Animal Kingdom, and on the top level of the Orange Garage at Disney Springs. To use the service, you will need a credit card or a pre-ordered ChargePoint card - available at chargepoint.com.

Please note: The website linked to directly above is not controlled by disneyworld.com. Different terms of use and a separate privacy policy will apply.

The rate to use these stations is $.35 per kilowatt hour, with a minimum service amount of $1.50. Charging will stop once the vehicle's battery is fully charged and ChargePoint will "ping" the owners to alert them.

Guests arriving at the Epcot or Disney's Animal Kingdom Auto Plaza may ask a Cast Member for directions to the charging stations. Guests visiting Disney Springs should follow signage to the Orange Garage and proceed to the top level. All charging stations are on a first-come, first-served basis and spaces are designated for electric vehicle charging only.

FYI, It looks like Disney is becoming aware that charging at resorts is important. While they don't have a perfect solution yet, they appear to be trying. I asked about charging at Wilderness Lodge and they proudly told me they had Tesla charging in a side parking lot. I was excited and headed over to the lot. Turns out what they have are just 20amp outlets on a group of parking spots. It's actually for charging their utility vehicles. It's nice that they are allowing us to use them even if they are slow.
20180616_133308.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: ai4px
Also, be aware that WAWA on Sandlake has new super chargers.

They are about 10 minutes away from Disney.

Yeah, I'm aware. Having access at the resort is much nicer. Many times when we stay at a resort, the car sits for a day or more unused so being able to charge during that time (even if it's really slow) is very convenient.

I spoke with a manager at Wilderness Lodge thanking them for making charging available. He said they are very aware of the increasing popularity of electric vehicles and to expect many more charging options coming to Disney venues. He was also aware of the Tesla program to provide free charging equipment.

Yeah, I'm aware. Having access at the resort is much nicer. Many times when we stay at a resort, the car sits for a day or more unused so being able to charge during that time (even if it's really slow) is very convenient.

I spoke with a manager at Wilderness Lodge thanking them for making charging available. He said they are very aware of the increasing popularity of electric vehicles and to expect many more charging options coming to Disney venues. He was also aware of the Tesla program to provide free charging equipment.

Great to hear that they accommodate at the Lodge.... We are DVC members at the Copper Creek there.... So, next time I'm there (Oct) ask I shall to charge!

Great to hear that they accommodate at the Lodge.... We are DVC members at the Copper Creek there.... So, next time I'm there (Oct) ask I shall to charge!

We just stayed at the Copper Creek Villas. Very Nice. We live close so we take occasional 4-5 day trips to the various resorts.

The image below looks dated. The charger section doesn't show up on the map but it's about where the red circle is. There was a good number of spots but a lot where taken by Disney service vehicles. The area had some construction going on so it may change by October. The cast members all seemed to know they had charging but didn't know any of the terminology and couldn't explain what exactly they had. I had to double check with front desk to make sure I hadn't assumed the 20amp outlets were it. BTW, might be worth picking up a 20a adapter for your mobile charger. With the included 15a, we only charge at 12a. A 20a will get you a slightly faster charger. I hadn't really used my mobile charger before (gen 1) and after seeing what's included, I'm thinking I'll get a 30a and 20a adapter. Overall, charging at 12a wasn't a problem. The car sat for more than 24 hours which topped off the vehicle. I would have been fine not charging at all but I feel better getting home with a nice reserve. I'm always concerned about getting stuck in traffic due to an accident.

wl.png

I just returned from Disney this weekend.... stayed at the Hilton Buena Vista Palace.... Ain't no charging there.... They looked at me like I had horns growing out of my head when I asked.... Charge Point chargers at Disney Springs.... But good luck getting one of those... Every time I try, they are always occupied.... Located on level 5 of the Lime parking deck... So, I had to make the trip to Wawa on Sandlake

My wife and I spend a week at Disney World every year. We are amazed that not even one Disney hotel has a destination charger. (We always express our disappointment and remind them that Universal has several) Hotel staff are supportive, but Disney management is not interested. When we travel it is easy and convenient to find hotels with Tesla chargers. Disney is a glaring exception.