TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging at Disneyland

Discussion in 'North America' started by Steveb48, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Steveb48

Steveb48 Member

We visited Disneyland on Friday (1/6/17) and found they were diverting cars to offsite parking at 8:00am! I looped around Katella to Harbor to Ball and pulled up to the people at the cones blocking the entrance to the ramp. To my surprise as I got closer they moved the cones out of the way. When I asked what was going on they said it was only open for ADA access right now but as I was an EV, they let me in for charging. I don't know how often this happens. Had to back in due to cable length.

There are new security stations setup before entering Downtown Disney. If you're going to the parks or Downtown Disney, be sure and exit the parking structure near the front side or you'll find yourself outside the security area and unable to ride the trams in.

2. rfmurphy81

rfmurphy81 Member

This is a common practice. Rather than fill up the Mickey & Friends parking structure too early in the day, they divert you to other surface lots nearby like the Toy Story lot (across from the convention center) or the Pumbaa lot (just north of Gardenwalk, soon to be the second new parking structure) as this allows them to better pulse traffic flow throughout the evening.

However, the Mickey & Friends parking structure is the only theme park parking lot with EV charging. There are 64 ChargePoint stalls (the most in any single location, I believe) at 35 cents/kW. Since the other theme park parking lots don't have charging, they probably assumed you wanted to charge while visiting one of the parks.

Related:
    • I saw a notice from ChargePoint this week about 4 new stations at the Paradise Pier Hotel, which appears to be in the hotel parking structure behind the building.
    • I've also seen 6 ChargePoint stalls in the Downtown Disney south parking lot closest to the Disneyland Hotel frontier tower, but I believe those are restricted for Disney employees.
    • There's also another 10 north of Disneyland but that's in an employee parking structure for their main office building and it's obviously restricted to employees, as well.
    • The ChargePoint site says there's 4 non-networked L2 stations (grey) at the Grand Californian Hotel but, the last time I ate at Napa Rose, I remember the valet implying it was just a 110 outlet and I'd have to plug and unplug it myself, which I thought was really odd. I'm going again later this month so I'll confirm if that's still the case.
    Source: I go to Disneyland a fair amount. :)

• Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

64 charging stations at one location? That's really awesome! :cool:

4. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

[I presume that you meant "35 cents/kWh."]

That seems rather pricey. Since Teslas don't need the range I think I'd skip the EV charge stations (is the EV parking advantageous in terms of location?). Gets me to wondering what Tesla will be charging at the Supercharger Stations near there for cars that don't have free Supercharging.

5. Bryantclan

Bryantclan Member

The chargers are second only to the RV parking as the best location to park in the M&F lot.

6. rfmurphy81

rfmurphy81 Member

I think I meant for the "h" to be silent. :)

And yes, it's very expensive. However, that doesn't stop people from plugging in there to get basically almost front row parking. Now that they're selling preferred parking at $35/car for the closest spots near the escalator down, I guess it's the most cost effective way to get up closer without paying the full price as, even if you don't start a charge session, they bill you a minimum $1.50 fee.

7. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

At DisneyWorld (Florida), the parking attendant directed me to the charging spots on our last visit, even though I didn't ask for them. I was tempted to go for it due to the great location, but I didn't want to take-up a spot in case someone needed it to charge. My vacation home is only a few miles from the parks so charging there is not necessary.....albeit tempting.

The opposite school of thought would be for me to use the chargers, let them make money and increase the demand so they put more charging spots in....decisions, decisions.

8. HookBill

HookBill Member

Considering the Santa Ana Super Charger is only about 6 miles south on the 5, I would just go there to charge and get it for free.

9. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

That's an interesting take on it. Out here in the boonies I try to use the public L2 charge stations whenever I can because the cities went to the trouble and expense of putting them in (80% paid for by a state EV registration fee, however) and because I want them to be seen as being used. I view it as a form of education of the public that EVs exist.

• Like x 2