Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at home at rented house [in Australia]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need to provide more information for anyone to advise you on this. Like where you are, how fast you are currently charging, what outlets you have near where you charge, etc.
I only have the normal Australian outlet available. This is 230V. I can get any adapter but just can’t get anything which is permanent bc renting the house. Not in an apartment. I park in a driveway but could park in garage if I had to (private). I’ve seen devices where you can combine 2 outlets with an adapter but i can’t find them anywhere.

Upvote 0
Combining two outlets is more a USA thing, because our common outlets are 120 volts; combining outlets on two different circuit breakers on two different phases can give 240v for charging. This is very much a niche use case.
What charging current can you pull using the standard Tesla mobile connector?

i don’t have any great suggestions for Australia; I’ve got no idea what types of outlets and currents are normally available there. Your only option may be to work with your landlord to install a higher powered outlet - maybe split the costs 50/50 because it’s an improvement that the landlord will benefit from.

Upvote 0
In Australia we use 230 volt 10 amp sockets. But your typical circuit is 20 amps shared across a couple of plugs.

Your UMC has 2 tails - one for 10A sockets (charges at 8A) and one for 15A sockets (charges at 12A). This is because in the USA continuous draw can only be at 80% of maximum load. That requirement doesn't exist in Australia, but for some reason, Tesla rolled with it anyway.

Go to Bunnings and buy an Ampfibian. The kind that converts a 10A standard socket to a 15A caravan-style socket.

Indoor option: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ampfibian-15a-to-10a-micro-compact-power-adaptor_p0185725
Outdoor option: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ampfibian-15a-to-10a-rv-plus-caravan-power-adaptor_p7050115

Also a 15 amp extension lead, if necessary. While it's not ideal, it's only 12 amps, it's not the end of the world.

If you are careful, you can let it run at 12 amps. Just don't run more than 8 amps across other devices on the same circuit, like a kettle, a 4-slice toaster, or an electric space heater on maximum setting. I'll use the phone app to stop charging for a few minutes if I want to boil a kettle. Also the wall socket might get warm. Assess whether there's anything flammable there.

If you want to be safe, tell the car to dial it back down to 10 amps.

12 amps on the UMC adds a tiny bit over 5% SoC to my 2020 SR+ per hour of charging. 10 hours at night = 50% (30-80%) if necessary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As a tenant, may I suggest you not involve the landlord in any way, shape or form.

If you can afford an EV, you can afford a rent hike.

And if you can install a charger, they'll be quite happy to let you pay for it, and then hike the rent, and then expect you to leave it there once you move on.

Upvote 0
As a tenant, may I suggest you not involve the landlord in any way, shape or form.

And if you can install a charger, they'll be quite happy to let you pay for it, and then hike the rent, and then expect you to leave it there once you move on.
I'm pretty sure that modifying the electrical installation of a rental house without the permission of the owner would not be allowed as per the rental agreement and you may lose your bond on termination. If there is some advantage to the landlord (eg adds value to the house, implied long tenancy by the tenant) then they may well be agreeable to the upgrade.
If you do go ahead I would strongly suggest that you get a high power outlet installed, rather than wiring in an EVSE permanently.

Reactions: Hairyman
Upvote 0
Yeah, umm, don't do any upgrades to someone else's property at all either. Just find a safe way to use the infrastructure that's already there.

Mid-week I run an extension lead out the bedroom window, under a few safety covers, and I hang the other end of the cable off the car park fence (facing downwards so rainwater can't pool on the contacts). I then charge off the UMC.

Weekends I'm always out of town, so I pack it all up and take it inside, and I use a similar setup in Sydney (except I use a perforated mat on grass, instead of hanging a cable in mid-air above gravel, to elevate the UMC out of any potential rainwater puddles. Not that there's much risk since both of my Ampfibians (in QBN and SYD) have RCDs built-in.

Upvote 0
If you're in Victoria and you're going to be at the residence for minimum period of 2 years, you can get a free high powered wall charger installed with the Fed Govt ARENA electric vehicle trials. I'm not sure if they accept rentals but it's worth a call I guess. If you leave before the 2 year period you'll have the pay the $2500 pro-rata for the months you left early.

Reactions: Hairyman
Upvote 0
If you're in Victoria and you're going to be at the residence for minimum period of 2 years, you can get a free high powered wall charger installed with the Fed Govt ARENA electric vehicle trials. I'm not sure if they accept rentals but it's worth a call I guess. If you leave before the 2 year period you'll have the pay the $2500 pro-rata for the months you left early.
Pretty useful info!

Upvote 0

I disagree, I love rich tenants!
No harm in asking the landlord, they can only say no.

Upvote 0