Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at Home need help: Extension cable, outlet, new cable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I've recently took deliver of my model 3 (less then 48 hours ago), I attempted to charge my car at home today and noticed the standard charging kit that came with my car doesn't reach any outlet.

For the time being I'll be using a local super charge station but would like to be charging from home as it can inconvenient having to visit a super charger every time to charge. I'm unfamiliar with the electrical world, I'm a software engineer/developer so this isn't quite my forte and could use some help.

My question here is can I use my existing charging kit the came with my car (Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle) with an extension cable? I've seen extension cables like this one recommended:

upload_2020-6-20_17-43-2.png

I have no outlet where I would be able to plug the above extender in the image.

Any recommendations on what I can do?

...standard charging kit that came with my car doesn't reach any outlet...

Would you please expand on that thought?

It doesn't reach because your car is outside of your garage?

It doesn't reach because your car is inside of your garage and it only needs 2 more inches to reach?

...outlet...

What kind of outlet do you have?

Standard 120V 15A for older homes?

Standard 120V 20A for newer homes?

240V 30A from your home dryer outlet?

240V 50A outlet to accommodate what you show on the above picture (NEMA 14-50)?

Please post a picture of your outlets that you want to use.

• Helpful
Reactions: Matsayz and Rocky_H
Would you please expand on that thought?

It doesn't reach because your car is outside of your garage?

It doesn't reach because your car is inside of your garage and it only needs 2 more inches to reach?

What kind of outlet do you have?

Standard 120V 15A for older homes?

Standard 120V 20A for newer homes?

240V 30A from your home dryer outlet?

240V 50A outlet to accommodate what you show on the above picture (NEMA 14-50)?

Please post a picture of your outlets that you want to use.

Sure! It doesn't reach because my car is outside. I live in a townhouse and the garage isn't big enough to fit the car inside with the storage & bikes. So I park in the driveway just in front of the garage.

I'm honestly not sure of the voltage these outlets draw but these are the 2 I have a available below:

IMG_4895.jpg

IMG_4896.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Tam
Top is 240, bottom gfi 120. The extension you showed is for 240 but less is more in that world. 240 is level 2 - lots of them around, many free, get plug share app and your screen now finds many level 2 in your area.
When house bound (oh yeah, that's most of the time) I fiddle with plug share to check out prices and locations of charges in the various places I visit.

Long term get a dedicated 240 line to plug in or hardwire a Tesla home charger.

I personally avoid superchargers under the, perhaps misconception, that the battery likes slower. I have 240 at home but often overnight with 120 when I don't need as much

I have an extension cord that looks just like the one pictured, which I use for reaching RV park outlets that are just a little too far away. You can charge fine with that, and probably have no trouble. You may have several extension cords in your house, and this would just be another. It would be best if you didn't plug and unplug it much, so it would last longer, and always check it for almost hot connections.

IF IT WERE ME, just a plain dude who likes to learn new things and then do new things, I'd try to push a wire through to an outside wall and put in another outlet so you could plug in there. Looks like you have an inside outlet on a wall. Does it perhaps sit on an outside wall? Simplicity itself to put a box on the other side and run power a foot to the new outlet. Wish I lived closer. It's really not too hard, and I would not, as in "I" would not, get a permit or bother an electrician to do the work, which is legal where I live. Check your local laws. Make sure you have a breaker for that outlet. It's no harder that wiring a 110 outlet inside, except the wire is thicker and there's an extra hot wire.

Lots of folks just leave their mobile connectors hooked up to their garage and just use it to charge, that’s not really a problem.
Exactly how far out of reach is the top outlet? That is your best bet. Also, you must find out how many amps your circuit breaker is rated for that’s feeding that outlet. If it’s a 30 amp breaker, you can charge at 24 amps, which is fine for overnight charging. Less than that, you’re going to have to decide if you can charge enough for your usage overnight.
If you must use an extension cord, use the shortest one you can. Longer extension cords cause voltage drop and decrease charge rate (with some exceptions)
However, the one you listed from amazon won’t fit, note the plug orientation - the wrong type. You appear to have a NEMA 14-30. Find an extension that matches.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
That's a Leviton 14-30 outlet on the top, btw. Even if you plan to use it, you should consider replacing it with a better outlet (search for 'hubbell' on this forum to see some other options).

The item you linked is not even a 14-30, so don't get it. I'd be surprised if you even have a UMC connector for it, although you can get one for $35.

How fast do you want to be able to charge? If 3-4 miles per hour of charge is enough, the 120V outlet and a 12 gauge 25 foot extension would work. You'll get more like 22 miles per hour of charge from that 240 volt (14-30) outlet. Technically you aren't supposed to use extension cords with those, because the Tesla UMC connector has a temperature sensor built into the plug to check if the outlet is overheating.

...You may have several extension cords in your house, and this would just be another...

I would caution against that thought. It's not the same. Tesla is against extension due to heat and fire risk.

I would not use my regular extension cord for my iron because the cord can get overheat and start a fire.

Tesla pulls lots of amperes through your wire so any regular extension cord would easily get overheat and start a fire.

That said, if you must use an extension cord for your Tesla, make sure the thickness of the wire is big enough (lower number in gauge means thicker wire) to avoid the heat and fire and reduction in voltage.

...doesn't reach...

You didn't say how many more inches do you need!

Remember, an extension cord for your Tesla is not recommended.

However, if you must use one, make sure:

1) the wire is thick enough
2) the shorter the better.

The rationale is to reduce risks of heat, fire, and voltage reduction.

As @Sophias_dad identified your big outlet, it's a 240V 30A dryer outlet called Nema 14-30.

You want the same for your extension cord such as:

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-SB1430PR-025-14-30P-Extension-25-Feet/dp/B07D9CZNQL/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1DRKDH4QAL26Y&dchild=1&keywords=nema+14-30+extension+cord&qid=1592769134&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin:7065062011&rnid=3490941011&s=lamps-light&sprefix=extension+cord+nema+14-30,aps,206&sr=1-2

That one is 10 gauge but I would feel more comfortable with thicker wire (small number in gague)

Then you need to make sure your Tesla has the correct plug to plug it in:

Please go to:

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

and click on the correct one: "14-30" which costs $35.

If it's out of stock, you can get from a third party for $57:

NEMA 14-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters

That's it!

If you want to use your included 120V 15A adapter already in your car (for your smaller outlets in your home), you can get a thick extension cord (10 gauge) such as:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX8KDW9/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Good luck and watch out for the heat and fire!

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: Matsayz and Rocky_H
We put in a semi permanent MCU using a 25 foot 50 amp RV extension card. We did it that way 5 years ago knowing we would probably switch the side of the garage the EVSE was on when we got a TESLA. We got the Tesla but are now thinking of leaving things as they are. We wanted to make a neat job so we used vented conduit to guide and protect the extension cord. Works well.

48920925348_a1c4281d1e_c.jpg

50020884021_f02b87f314_c.jpg

Hello all,

I've recently took deliver of my model 3 (less then 48 hours ago), I attempted to charge my car at home today and noticed the standard charging kit that came with my car doesn't reach any outlet.

What you want to get is a regular "heavy duty" extension cord. Here are two examples:

https://www.amazon.com/Lighted-Extension-Outdoor-Jacket-LifeSupplyUSA/dp/B01LX8KDW9
https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Extension-Cord-Electronics-Appliances/dp/B074T5SDXX

You plug these into the outlets on the outside of your home. Don't buy an extension cord with a special plug that you will need to dangle out a window.

Charging off a regular outlet may not be enough, so the next step is to contact an electrician and talk with him about the cost of installing a wall connector or NEMA 14-50 outlet on the outside of your garage. Even if you still need to supercharge, using a regular outlet will decrease the amount of times you need to supercharge. During this "work at home" period (don't know about you) a regular outlet should be fine.

Last edited:
Tam covered it well. You may also want to consider having an electrician either moving that outlet closer to where you want it, creating an outdoor outlet, or depending on how long you plan on living at your house, installing a more permanent outdoor station on the outside wall of your garage.

otherwise, this along with the tesla adapter will do the trick: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9B5M4M/ref=twister_B07DB1M2DR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Matsayz