Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at home starts at 56amps and then drops...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
17116451-D28D-43D7-A649-8D9F1F745981.png

I have the Gen 2 charger installed at home, set at giving my X 56 amps in which provides around ~35 miles per hour. Pretty decent and charges the X rather “quickly.” Install was seamless to my beaker with the proper gauge wire to handle the 56 amps. The Gen 2 dial is set to 56 amps too.

As of recent, after plugging in - within a few mins the Tesla app shows only 28 amps (sometimes less) in giving about 18 miles (sometimes less) per hour on charge when initially it shows 35 miles per hour charge and 56 amps.

Any ideas why there is a drop as of recent? The X is the only Tesla we have, I charge the X primarily at night when temps are a bit cooler and the house isn’t sucking a ton of energy elsewhere. The X is usually sleeping when i plug it in; but I have seen the same phenomenon when the X has been driven a lot and the battery should be warm.

What is causing this drop in amperage...the Gen 2 charger or the X? And why?

Here is a pic as reference.

Mine does this occasionally, but it is only because my second car comes on line, and my two Gen 2s load share, splitting the 56 in half. Do you have more than one wall connector on the same circuit? Since you only have one car, I doubt it.

Had more or less the same problem on my X last month. Max charge suddenly dropped from 40 to 20A. Tried on a different (48A) Juiceboox and on a Tesla Destination Charger, max was always 20A. Tesla had to replace the Master Charger in the car.

did your X ever hit 56amps or more? mine does. it starts off at 56 amps and then within 4-5 mins of charging it drops. i have only used a super charger once, but it charged with alot more juice and there never seemed like an issue.

im just wondering if my Gen 2 charger just gets hot or something is loose that needs to get retighten. so im going to have that looked at later this week. i reset all breaker at the electric panel in our basement too.

did Tesla do sometime of diagnosis to confirm the master charger needed replacement in your X?

Hi @djillusion,

I see in your profile a 2018 XP100D...
Yours must have the 72 amp charger(s) in it...

What does the car show on its displays???

I would expect to see 28/56 with 56 being HPWC setting
and the 28 being the reduced number...
It is puzzling that the wall charger also shows the reduced number...

Shawn

thanks @ShawnA & @Cosmacelf!

i do have the 72 amp charger in the X and never have messed with the charging settings in the car so it still shows it can accept 72 amps.

once again after a few minutes (just tried it now) it goes from an immediate 56 amps in, it drops down to 28 amps & stays there. now i cannot image the wall charger getting that hot in just ~5 mins, but i don't know what really determines how warm something can get before it starts to pull amps down with this charger. ambient temps right now outside are about 50 degrees so its not really anywhere near being hot outside either.

i will have a friend who installed the charger come over later this week to have a look at the Gen 2 wall charger. maybe something is loose with the connection - which is a possibility and i would be curious to know why or when this is bound to happen again (if its the root cause).

Update: I had the connections at the breaker panel and inside the charger rechecked and re-tighten. They were just a bit loose and the re-tighten made the difference! The X is getting 56 amps now (again) and I'll continue to monitor it over time.

I assume heat can cause some loosening over time, but good to see its a simple solution of re-tightening to fix it. 56 amps into the X makes a major difference in charger time!

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Update: I had the connections at the breaker panel and inside the charger rechecked and re-tighten. They were just a bit loose and the re-tighten made the difference! The X is getting 56 amps now (again) and I'll continue to monitor it over time.

I assume heat can cause some loosening over time, but good to see its a simple solution of re-tightening to fix it. 56 amps into the X makes a major difference in charger time!

Great info. Tesla’s software algorithms are pretty sensitive for things like that. Interesting that it’s able to detect it within minutes.