Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at home [what are typical charging speeds?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the Tesla charger installed and we’re having no problems with charging the M3. It charges at about 43 miles per hour and reports pulling 48 amps.
I was wondering if this is typical for the circumstances. What are other people experiencing? We don’t know anyone else with a Tesla

I had the Tesla charger installed and we’re having no problems with charging the M3. It charges at about 43 miles per hour and reports pulling 48 amps.
I was wondering if this is typical for the circumstances. What are other people experiencing? We don’t know anyone else with a Tesla

That is the expected charging speed for a model 3 Long range or performance vehicle, on a 60 amp circuit, using a tesla wall connector.

The speed of charging is dependent on the size and type of circuit installed, up to the maximum the car can take (which is a 60 amp circuit, 48 amps charging speed on that circuit).

if you would like to know what different size electrical circuits provide as far as charging speeds, tesla has a chart, and more information here:

The actual charging speed chart at that link that is provided by tesla is this:

Wall Connector Technical detailsCharge Speed
Max miles of range per hour of charge*
Circuit breaker
(amps)
Maximum output
(amps)
Power at 240 volts
(kilowatt)
Model S
(mph)
Model 3†
(mph)
Model X
(mph)
Model Y
(mph)
604811.5 kW41443544
50409.6 kW34372937
40327.7 kW27302330
30245.7 kW21221722
20163.8 kW14151215
15122.8 kW1011911

Note that the chart @jjrandorin provided is based upon 240V Wall Connector connections. If, in some situations, you will be using the mobile connector on a standard 120V outlet (NEMA 5-15), you'll get slightly less than half of the 15A listed in the table, or somewhere around 4-5 MPH of charge. Public Level 2 (L2) chargers that you might find around town, typically are 240V 30A units so you will get 22 MPH with the Model 3.

Your mobile charger will also max out at 32A I believe it is, regardless of what you have it plugged in to. So a 14-50 using the MC will max out at 32A = 30mph added.

It also depends on which model 3 you have. The SR's have a smaller capacity charger which is capped at 32A if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H