TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging at home

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Ritu_o0o, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Ritu_o0o

Ritu_o0o Member

Guys,

I have 220 V NEMA 14-50 with 50A breaker set in the garage for charging, yesterday I noticed charging screen it says it is charging at 118V @14miles/hr. Is that normal? I was expecting it to charge around 25-30 miles/hr!! Am I missing anything?

Attached Files:

2. JCB_Arizona

JCB_Arizona Member

Yep. Somethings not right. Your car isn’t receiving 240 volts. Get it checked out.

• Like x 1
  3. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Check that you are firmly plugged into your charge port. If no change, then you are only getting one of the two hot legs to your plug. Reset the breaker if no joy, then call your electrician. It could be your HPC also. An electrical tester will tell you if you have 240 V between the two hot legs of the plug.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. PV-EV

PV-EV Member

Try resetting the breaker, if you haven’t already.

• Like x 1
  5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Sorta hard to get 120 on a 240 with no neutral... This really needs to be checked out. Is it using one leg and ground? Not safe at all.

• Like x 1
  6. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

And pulling 40 amps on 120? I think the problem is his charger and not plug. But who knows.

7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Yeah, that is completely weird. I’d unplug it and call my electrician if I couldn’t figure it out. A voltmeter to test the socket might be useful but we’re straying into don’t try this at home territory.

8. Graffi

Graffi Member

+1 to the posts above. If you have some knowledge of electricity and have a volt meter then you can start troubleshooting yourself. After you have unplugged the cable from the car and plugged it in again check for change. If the same, then reset the breaker. Now check again. If no change, then disconnect from the car, unplug the HPWC from the 14-50 plug and check the voltage across the 14-50 outlet. If you have the 240 volts then the problem is with the HPWC. Remove the covers and start looking inside for any visible damage. If none, and you are handy with a volt meter then you can plug it back in to the 14-50 and look for electricity in and out.

It is at this stage that if you are not comfortable around electricity then you get an electrician to take a look. I doubt it is the car, but if all else fails, find another HPWC, or even a J1772 plug to test charging. A Supercharger will not help as it does not use the on-board charger. If another HPWC or J1772 also gives only 120v then take it to a Service Center as you have a charger problem. If you do get 240v then the problem is your HPWC. Your electrician may be able to find and fix the problem, maybe not.

Good Luck and keep us posted on the solution.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. Reddy Kilowatt

Had the same thing happen to me last night. I did not have the plug seated all the way in the car. tapped it in and all is fine.

If not, cycle the circuit breaker and see if that helps, A single pole might be tripped in the breaker.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. Ritu_o0o

Ritu_o0o Member

Will try and let you know!

11. Reddy Kilowatt

FYI, I forgot to mention when I saw it on my phone and went out to the car thinking a charge delay was set. on the car screen it said I was not plugged in properly.

12. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

This is definitely a case of only a single hot line being connected. There are three failure points: the breaker, the receptacle, and the plug.

If I had to guess, one if the two 120V came disconnected at either the breaker or the receptacle. Either is a relatively easy fix, if you're comfortable with it. If not, it's electrician time.

• Like x 1
  13. smsprague

smsprague Member

I had a similar problem earlier this week. It turned out to be the breaker. I put in a new breaker and it fixed the issue. If you are comfortable with electrical work testing a breaker with a multimeter is real easy. This is the first thing I would check.

14. Ritu_o0o

Ritu_o0o Member

Thank you, guys... the problem turned out to be at the receptacle, the wires were swapped (natural and hot) so technically charger was getting only one hotline.... now all good...

• Informative x 1
  15. juju

juju Member

An electrician can test the outlet. Just had an outlet installed at my house today. Guy made sure to check the voltage...

9AE6BBC4-D9DB-425E-A657-DD803C0A12D1.jpeg