Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are probably the last batch of model 3 before the end of the year.

As such, I like someone in this forum that have been using charger at home about their experiences. Esp who do u guys recommend for a decent electrician and how much?

The old thread are back in Oct, Nov.

btw, I live in Brampton

Did you know you can convert an existing 120V 15A circuit to 240V 15A? It'll give you charging at 17km/h. It cost me ~$50 for the Tesla adapter and $25 in parts from Home Depot.

As a comparison, I had a contractor come out for an estimate to install a 240V 40A line and it came to over $5000.

Did you know you can convert an existing 120V 15A circuit to 240V 15A? It'll give you charging at 17km/h. It cost me ~$50 for the Tesla adapter and $25 in parts from Home Depot.

As a comparison, I had a contractor come out for an estimate to install a 240V 40A line and it came to over $5000.
I paid $650 to drill/run 65' of #6 wire through a basement wall and into the garage to a NEMA 15-40 plug and a cutoff box. Wire runs from the back of garage up through a conduit (for safety) to the rafters and then to the front. Wire is good to upgrade to 60A for a HPWC if desired in future but with 32A continuous I don't see the need unless I get a second Tesla. I just use the charging kit semi-permanently setup between garage doors similar to this:

HPWC between garage doors?

Got the hose clips here:

Hose & Cord Holders - Lee Valley Tools

This configuration yields 48km/h. Two Superchargers near me if this is not fast enough for some reason.

So I got a Chargepoint Home because I charge both the Tesla and the Chevy Bolt at home. My panel was in the garage, so it only cost me $150 to have it installed right next to the panel. But like others have said, it'll cost more if you need to have work done on the panel, longer wiring etc... I've seen installations go as high as $2k, so YMMV

Based on my driving pattern, I don't really need a wall connector.

Instead I will just go ahead and wire a Nema 14-50, and use the mobile connector that comes with Tesla for now. I will keep the connector plugged in unless I am going away for a long trip.
Yea, I think that's definitely the most cost-efficient way if you don't need the extra power

Reactions: longshot49