Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at Keefer's Inn in King City, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be traveling to Whisper Canyon later this month from bay area and I need to charge at King City to make the trip back to Gilroy.

Keefer's Inn has a Combo DC Fast charger (Chargepoint). Has anyone successfully used it? Does the Chademo adapter work for this charger?

That CCS charger in King City is only 22kW. It isn't your usual 50 kW D.C. Charger. You would only be getting about 50 miles of range per hour with it. Regardless, the point is moot since it is a CCS only charger anyways and Tesla's can't charge at it.

Is there any electricity at your destination?

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and vkathuria
Why not drive down to the Atascadero Supercharger, charge up, and then bounce back up to Whisper Canyon?
Although I am a native Californian, I had to look up where Whisper Canyon is! I think Jeff's suggestion is the way to go. At the Atascadero Supercharger you can get the range you need in a small fraction of the time it will take to charge anywhere else. Even with the extra driving time you will come out ahead.

• Informative
Reactions: vkathuria
if you cant you can go down to atascadero and then gilroy
About 40 hours. There are regular power outlets at the destination, but they are shared between all the campers at the site - so I am not sure how much time I'd be able to plug in. I am hoping If I am lucky and get 20+hrs of charge, I might be able to make it back to Gilroy (fingers crossed)

About 40 hours. There are regular power outlets at the destination, but they are shared between all the campers at the site - so I am not sure how much time I'd be able to plug in. I am hoping If I am lucky and get 20+hrs of charge, I might be able to make it back to Gilroy (fingers crossed)

So I looked up what information I could find about Whisper Canyon. It looks like they might have more than just "regular outlets". They have RV hookups. That usual means either 120V/30A TT-30 outlets, or even 240V/50A NEMA 14-50 outlets. At the very, very least, the "regular outlet" would most probably be a 20A NEMA 5-20.

If I were you, I would:

a) bring my UMC with 14-50 adapter and 5-15 adapter.
b) buy a Tesla 5-20 adapter
c) buy a TT-30 adapter (eg. NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P Adapter for EV Charging at Campgrounds)
d) Optionally buy a 50A extension cord (https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55195-Extension-PowerGrip-Handle/dp/B0024ECIP0)

Let's say you only have 20 hours of charging. Using your regular 15A Tesla adapter, you would get about 60 miles or range in 20 hours.

Using the Tesla 5-20 adapter, you would get about 85 miles of range.

Using the TT-30 adapter, you would get about 128 miles of range.

Using the 14-50, you would fill up completely and then some.

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo and vkathuria
So I looked up what information I could find about Whisper Canyon. It looks like they might have more than just "regular outlets". They have RV hookups. That usual means either 120V/30A TT-30 outlets, or even 240V/50A NEMA 14-50 outlets. At the very, very least, the "regular outlet" would most probably be a 20A NEMA 5-20.

If I were you, I would:

a) bring my UMC with 14-50 adapter and 5-15 adapter.
b) buy a Tesla 5-20 adapter
c) buy a TT-30 adapter (eg. NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P Adapter for EV Charging at Campgrounds)
d) Optionally buy a 50A extension cord (https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55195-Extension-PowerGrip-Handle/dp/B0024ECIP0)

Let's say you only have 20 hours of charging. Using your regular 15A Tesla adapter, you would get about 60 miles or range in 20 hours.

Using the Tesla 5-20 adapter, you would get about 85 miles of range.

Using the TT-30 adapter, you would get about 128 miles of range.

Using the 14-50, you would fill up completely and then some.

Wow, thanks Cosmacelf for the research and the suggestions!
I just ordered the TT-30 adapter. That should give me sufficient charge to get to Gilroy for sure.

Yeah good advice here. The general idea is to bring your UMC and as many adapters as possible. If you ask around when you get there, you will probably be able to work something out. Calling ahead and asking might improve your chances. If it doesn't work out then just go to the Atascadero or Seaside on the way back home.

Wow, thanks Cosmacelf for the research and the suggestions!
I just ordered the TT-30 adapter. That should give me sufficient charge to get to Gilroy for sure.

Don't know if you've been down there and back already and it sounds like you might have a plan for charging, but if not check out Ciudad del Rey Motel & Trailer Park on Plugshare. They have a NEMA 14-50 (call for 50A availability) and are located right at the Wildhorse Road exit off 101 before getting into King City proper. One of the photos on plugshares site shows a white Tesla charging. As I recall we've stopped at the Valero gas station/mini mart right down from there on trips down south with our ICE a few times for fuel. There's also a cafe you could grab a bite at while charging ( Home - Wildhorse Cafe ). All within walking distance of each other.

If you decide to head south to the Atascadero's Supercharger, highly recommend grabbing something at the Street Side Ale House & Eatery ( My Site ). Ate there last month while charging.

Not completed yet but the Salinas Supercharger under construction now just off 101 might be a future fast charging source if you need to charge before Gilroy. Supercharger - Salinas (location found, construction started) Being along 101 also more convenient than driving east to Monterey or Seaside.

Last edited:
Don't know if you've been down there and back already and it sounds like you might have a plan for charging, but if not check out Ciudad del Rey Motel & Trailer Park on Plugshare. They have a NEMA 14-50 (call for 50A availability) and are located right at the Wildhorse Road exit off 101 before getting into King City proper. One of the photos on plugshares site shows a white Tesla charging. As I recall we've stopped at the Valero gas station/mini mart right down from there on trips down south with our ICE a few times for fuel. There's also a cafe you could grab a bite at while charging ( Home - Wildhorse Cafe ). All within walking distance of each other.

If you decide to head south to the Atascadero's Supercharger, highly recommend grabbing something at the Street Side Ale House & Eatery ( My Site ). Ate there last month while charging.

Not completed yet but the Salinas Supercharger under construction now just off 101 might be a future fast charging source if you need to charge before Gilroy. Supercharger - Salinas (location found, construction started) Being along 101 also more convenient than driving east to Monterey or Seaside.

Thanks. I did the trip last weekend. The RV hookups on the Whisper Canyon site had 5-15, so stayed plugged in the entire time I was there and was able to get enough charge to make it back to Gilroy. If there is a way to use two 5-15s on different breakers together, that actually would have helped get me a bit higher charge and lower anxiety :). I travelled more than half of my journey without A/C as estimated charge on arrival was showing only 11%.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Thanks. I did the trip last weekend. The RV hookups on the Whisper Canyon site had 5-15, so stayed plugged in the entire time I was there and was able to get enough charge to make it back to Gilroy. If there is a way to use two 5-15s on different breakers together, that actually would have helped get me a bit higher charge and lower anxiety :). I travelled more than half of my journey without A/C as estimated charge on arrival was showing only 11%.
No reason to not use A/C with an 11% buffer.

Pro tip. Never rely on the cars trip planner. It sucks. Use evtripplanner.com. Works much better and is much more accurate.

There is a way to charge from two 120V circuits, but it wouldn’t work at an RV camp since all their 120V receptacles would be GFCI protected. Were they 15A outlets or 20A?

Also, did they have 50A RV hookups, or just 120V outlets?

Pro tip. Never rely on the cars trip planner. It sucks. Use evtripplanner.com. Works much better and is much more accurate.

There is a way to charge from two 120V circuits, but it wouldn’t work at an RV camp since all their 120V receptacles would be GFCI protected. Were they 15A outlets or 20A?

Also, did they have 50A RV hookups, or just 120V outlets?
Yes, all the receptacles were GFCI protected. There were no 50A or 30A hookups for RVs, just 15A ones (it was not a 6-20r like I have at home)