TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging at Nissan dealership

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by ViperDoc, Aug 20, 2012.

1. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

I have finally gotten my Roadster charging successfully at Chargepoint stations (the 2 local Chargepoints wouldn't work until they replaced the hardware at them recently). Now my only problem is charging at a Nissan Leaf charger. Has anyone done this successfullly (eg, at a Nissan dealership), and if so, is there anything in particular you did? I have tried at 2 different dealerships and tried limiting the amperage without success.

Thanks!

DJ

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

#2 dhrivnak, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
    Yes i have sucessfully charged at several Nissan dealers. But i did require a firmware update to do so. That firmware has been out fpr a year for the 1.5s so i am surprised you dont have it.

3. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

I have a 2.5 and have had firmware updates with my Ranger visits, so I think the update is there. Very strange.
    Thanks for your reply

4. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

I don't know if it's the same thing, but I've charged at a person's house with a Leaf branded charger a couple times with no problem. I also updated my firmware when I got my J1772 adapter. Make sure you tell them you want the firmware updated specifically to work with J1772.

5. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Member

What is the amperage setting for a 2.5 using a j1772. Do I set it down to 15 or something?

6. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

You don't need to set it for anything less than 70A. The small wire in the Roadster connector carries a pilot signal that lets the car know how many amps are available from the charging station. The J1772 standard uses the same pilot signal protocol so your car will automatically limit the amps on its own. ViperDoc was having problems so he was manually limiting the amps to see if it made any difference.

Here in the East Nissan has used chargers from more than one manufacturer. I think some work better than others.

7. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

It could also be a GFCI fault. Which is remedied by TM, that is IF it keeps tripping just about every GFCI.

8. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Member

So if I go into TM I can get a fix for ground faults? My 2.5 shuts down every SemaConnect station I try after thirty seconds.Thats bad for me because those stations are between me and Ocean City!

9. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

2.0 received firmware 4.6.5 last month. Charges nicely on AeroViron__ chargers at Nissan dealer. Tried 2 of the 4 they have. But, as usual, they are hooked up to 208 volt leg of 3-phase, so charging takes ~15% longer. After driving 160 miles it took 6+ hours to get up to 183 miles ideal range, not 'full' but enough for the trip back. With some extra for headlights, and as it turned out, 50 miles of wiper use & a bit of heat as well. Switched modes from Standard to Range for the drive back, arriving with most of the bottom 10% SOC remaining. Never drove any distance with lights, wipers or heater before, so am pleased at the slight impact they seem to have.

These AeroViron__ chargers seem small & lightweight. Reportedly are for sale @ Lowes for ~750-US. Could be they are all solid state (no expensive contactor). Would appear to be a nice deal as they output 30 Amps @ 240 volts same as the larger more expensive units.
    --

10. chronopublish

chronopublish 2008 Roadster #VP27

Heat and AC are the only things in the car that will have any measurable impact on range, and even then only a small percentage.

11. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

< These AeroViron__ chargers seem small & lightweight. Reportedly are for sale @ Lowes for ~750-US.

Update: Amazon has them for sale @$999-US (down from $1050-). Looks the same as the ones at Nissan dealer, just more green on the front. 30A @ 240 VAC. 25 foot cord. Unit itself w/o cord weighs 10pounds. Tempted to put in trunk with long 50 amp cord for RV Park use (leave Neutral unconnected). Pretty sure this unit will fit in Roadster trunk; my Clipper Creek CS-40 is too cumbersome to even consider doing so.
    --

12. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#12 dsm363, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
    Any chance you have a UMC already? You could charge at 40A that way.

13. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

Agree with DSM. Better to use a UMC directly that introduce a NEMA>J1772>J1772 adapter complicated arrangement.

14. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> you have a UMC already?

My Roadster came with just the Basic Cable. The CAN should be in every Roadster trunk. ModelS comes with a UMC. Thus the case for getting an AeroV charger, assuming it will prove to be bullet-proof.
    --

15. mg012

mg012 Member

I charged at a Nissan dealership using the Can (Tesla => J1772 adapter) on Friday. Worked immediately.