Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at non-Supercharger station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I'm new to EV and new to Tesla. Picking up my Model S on Sunday amd will be driving it back home. The drive is about 350 miles. I will definitely need to charge at least once in the Plaid.
I'm buying the vehicle from a dealer and incase I couldn't get the original owner to transfer the vehicle to me on time.

Have anybody charge their Tesla at a non Tesla station? I didn't a little bit of research and I can charge at the EVgo station. Looks like I just download the app. Add CC and charge from there?
Or if any has any input to charging station that has gone thru this?

Using your J1772 Adapter (included with new Teslas, might not be included with a used Tesla if the owner lost it) you can easily charge at EVgo and ChargePoint and many other chargers. Unfortunately, it's not very fast, most of them only put 20 miles of range back into your car per hour. So you'd be sitting there for 8 hours waiting for your car to charge up. For a trip back home, it's probably best to look for any Tesla superchargers on the way back. You can use ABRP to get advice on where to charge on your trip back home. Congrats on the purchase, welcome to the club.

Reactions: Rocky_H
You will have multiple Supercharger options and the app is not the issue, but if I understand correctly, it sounds like you are concerned the ownership transfer may not allow you to supercharge? If that is the case, I would speak directly with Tesla if possible to make sure supercharging is still enabled? As far as non-Tesla, as others have said, level 2 charging is slow 20-30 miles per hour. Depending on the wheels 21-vs 19's if full when you pick it up will not likely get you the 350 needed to get home. Make sure you have the J1772 adapter with the charger kit. The kit should come with one, but try and make sure. I was recently in California and charged at Electrify America stations with no issues. The main issue is having proper adapter. I have the OEM/Korean Tesla CCS adapter. Good luck with your purchase and Congrats!!!!

OP may have been referring to the EVgo stations with Tesla Chademo adapters; these would give something closer to Tesla supercharging speeds than much slower L2. But for a new EV owner, I think finding these specific stations, learning how to affix the adapter, making sure the station is actually working, and properly activating payment and charging, is going to be way too hit-and-miss. Probably more practical, around when/where the OP needs to charge mid-way find a nearby working L2 charger and then wait out the slower charge.

You made it? I was going to suggest you pick it up with less than 100%, then stop at the very first Supercharger you encounter and try to take a charge.

That way if there are ownership problems, you'll still have enough SoC to take it someplace safe ... maybe even the original dealership. That seems better than running it down to 20% and then finding out you can't charge when you're in the middle of nowhere