TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging at Portland International Raceway or hotels nearby?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by v12 to 12v, Jun 4, 2014.

1. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

We are headed to PIR for Rose Cup. We will be there several days so we are looking for charging opportunities at nearby hotels or at the track.

I recall hearing about a Roadster charging station at the track and I was wondering if it is still there. I have an adapter for the Roadster HPC. Does anyone have any specifics about the track HPC charging station?

Otherwise, I am looking for a hotel in S. Vancouver or in the Delta area for overnight charging.

2. GDH

GDH Banned

#2 GDH, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    I have no idea about hotels in that area but if you come into NW Portland you can use my charger. Just send me a PM if you do.

3. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

Thanks for offering a safety net, GDH. If nothing else turns up soon I'll let you know.

4. GDH

GDH Banned

#4 GDH, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    No worries, I have safe and secure place for you to charge if needed.

5. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

I called all the hotels close by. Best Western "Inn at the Meadows" says that they are working on plans in the works to install a charging station at their location.

I just realized that when we went to Rose Cup last year there wasn't a Supercharger in Centralia yet! It opened a few weeks after Rose Festival. I should be good to go unless I end up doing lots of running around.

I'm still curious about the PIR Roadster HPC...

6. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

There's also the supercharger in Woodburn. It's only like 30 miles south of portland. So even if you do a lot of running around you can always run down there quickly and max charge.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#7 brianman, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    There's at least one 40A outlet at PIR. There's also a campground** near (about 10min walking distance from) the hotel* I stayed at when I went there last year. I made use of both. :)

* Red Lion Hotel on the River-Jantzen Beach, 909 N Hayden Island Dr, Portland, OR 97217 / (503) 283-4466
    ** Jantzen Beach RV Park, 1503 N Hayden Island Dr, Portland, OR / (503) 289-7626

The pole next to the truck at PIR in this picture...
    PIR_NEMA_14-50R.png
    ... has a NEMA 14-50 that was working as of Nov 3, 2013.

Edit: It's either that pole or the one slightly farther left and up from there in the picture. I forget. I can go dig up some pictures to confirm.

Edit 2:
    It wasn't the pole. It was near the pole. :)
    Post A Picture Of Your Car Charging - Page 16

8. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

Thank you, Brianman! I've walked by that spot hundreds of times and didn't notice it. Yet, it might be blocked by vendors for Rose Cup.

I wonder why the Red Lion did not mention their charging opportunities. I might have to pop in for a chat!

9. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

Thank you again, Brianman. The 50A charger worked great at the track. The Beignet truck was only using the 30A plug at that spot. I managed to squeeze in and charge very conveniently. I saw one other Model S there and learned that there was another one in the vicinity when I met up with them at the Supercharger on our way home.

The Porsche didn't fare as well. It broke on the second day. :-(

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Glad to help, and I hope the track served you well! :)

BTW, I try to make it a habit at each, um, "driving location" to try to find one of the representatives of the facility and chat them up about charging opportunities there. I didn't get a chance to do it at PIR. (Too mentally occupied.) Hopefully you got a chance to...

Also, I try to buy at least a little SWAG to thank them for the juice. They didn't have anything for sale the day I was there ("go online") unfortunately.