Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at State Parks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love going to state parks and exploring. I know Plugshare is good, but is there a state park guide that includes EV charging? Or does anyone know any really good sites for parks and charging?

I know that Shawnee Mission Park in KC is beautiful and has some charging spots for example. Can we get a thread going?

Reactions: Chisale
And many have NEMA 14-50 connectors at RV camp sites. I've tent camped in an RV spot in Bear Head Lake SP in Minnesota so I could charge my car. There are plenty of sites that track specific electric connections for RVs.
I've been wanting to try that. I haven't done RV camp sites, but the state parks are booked up through October according to the park ranger guy. Even though he tried to convince me that 14-50's aren't powerful enough to charge an EV... I trust him on knowing about the park schedule. :)

I reserved RV spots in Upper Michigan for tent camping and using their 14-50 outlet for charging. These included the private Woodland Park in Grand Marais overlooking Lake Superior, private Soo Locks Campground in Sioux Saint Marie next to the river where freighters sail by and at the Tahquamenon Falls State Park.
Tahquamenon Falls State Park.jpg

My only experience with RV charging was while tent camping in extremely rural Nebraska during the 2017 solar eclipse. There were RV slips nearby and I thought "well, why not?" With my PHEV, I didn't necessarily need to charge it up much, or at all. There was no ranger around so I pulled up to one, opened the RV service cover and there were 2 120v and 2 14-50 240v outlets. Yup, it was on. Apparently, they all were. This was a spot where no RV was parked for at least the 2 days I was there, so none of the other eclipsers (word?) was going to get nicked for my crime.

I might have just got lucky that time, but I learned a trick for future BEV emergencies, if ever the occasion applies to me. Though the intention wasn't as much to poach, but to learn something about RV utility hook-ups. I guess that I owe Hemingford, NE about 4 kW worth of juice. I took a picture of my crime to incriminate myself.

i-VQCm6f8-L.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Prairie
My only experience with RV charging was while tent camping in extremely rural Nebraska during the 2017 solar eclipse. There were RV slips nearby and I thought "well, why not?" With my PHEV, I didn't necessarily need to charge it up much, or at all. There was no ranger around so I pulled up to one, opened the RV service cover and there were 2 120v and 2 14-50 240v outlets. Yup, it was on. Apparently, they all were. This was a spot where no RV was parked for at least the 2 days I was there, so none of the other eclipsers (word?) was going to get nicked for my crime.

I might have just got lucky that time, but I learned a trick for future BEV emergencies, if ever the occasion applies to me. Though the intention wasn't as much to poach, but to learn something about RV utility hook-ups. I guess that I owe Hemingford, NE about 4 kW worth of juice. I took a picture of my crime to incriminate myself.

i-VQCm6f8-L.jpg
So good to learn of success in charging in western Nebraska! Ive been trying to see if I can actually get to Nebraska parks and other areas in the west or off the interstate. it looks like campgrounds are the ONLY option unless I want to spend hours and hours on a 12 miles in 1 hr charger. That is useless in the wide open spaces. So glad HEMINGFORD worked out for you.

My only experience with RV charging was while tent camping in extremely rural Nebraska during the 2017 solar eclipse.

Was that the one that went from Oregon South East to The Carolinas? Was it really that long ago?

We saw it in Orangeburg SC and I have to say that that experience, along with seeing a Space Shuttle pass directly overhead on re-entry at night were the only two things that ever really stopped me in my tracks. We're supposed to get a full eclipse in Dallas sometime in 2023 - I'm looking forward to it

I've camped in Texas state parks and (long story) but we had reservations at both a national park (with no power) and a state park (with power), but preferred the national park, so camped there, had dinner then drove to the state park to charge up while watching two episodes of a Danish crime show on Netflix. The only problem was that they were 19 miles apart, so we pretty much used up all the extra juice travelling between the two

Was that the one that went from Oregon South East to The Carolinas? Was it really that long ago?

We saw it in Orangeburg SC and I have to say that that experience, along with seeing a Space Shuttle pass directly overhead on re-entry at night were the only two things that ever really stopped me in my tracks. We're supposed to get a full eclipse in Dallas sometime in 2023 - I'm looking forward to it

I've camped in Texas state parks and (long story) but we had reservations at both a national park (with no power) and a state park (with power), but preferred the national park, so camped there, had dinner then drove to the state park to charge up while watching two episodes of a Danish crime show on Netflix. The only problem was that they were 19 miles apart, so we pretty much used up all the extra juice travelling between the two

Yes. The pic you see above was at the campground that I and hundreds others gathered for a full, cloudless and completely unobstructed hours-long view of the entire event. Thousands more were gathered in Alliance, NE., a neighboring town that boasts the unusual attraction CARHENGE. The eclipse was totally awesome. April 8th, 2024 is the next total solar eclipse crossing the U.S, and God-willing, I hope to get somewhere to view that one too. And yes, almost life changing to witness, right? Now I know how ancient peoples were so freaked out over these.

Gallery of the eclipse here, if I'm allowed to share it. Make sure to watch the video, first up in the gallery. Happens sooo fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prairie
I reserved RV spots in Upper Michigan for tent camping and using their 14-50 outlet for charging. These included the private Woodland Park in Grand Marais overlooking Lake Superior, private Soo Locks Campground in Sioux Saint Marie next to the river where freighters sail by and at the Tahquamenon Falls State Park.
Just got back from a week at Holland state park, and had a 50A service as well the whole time. Was great except for the debris falling from trees. Need a good wash now.