TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Charging at Tesla Service Center

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jdowell362, Jul 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jdowell362

jdowell362 Member

Hello all!

inquiring about how easy or hard (or not possible) it is to charge at a dealership (or HQ). i live in the bay area, and work in palo alto. there is a dealer ship about 3 or so miles from my office, and the HQ is about a block away. also there is a dealership (where i bought my MS75D) in a town about 15 mins away.

has anyone charged their car at these places or know if that is even possible?

thanks!

2. Mbenz528i

Mbenz528i Member

I'm not sure about the bay, but I regularly charge at the dealership. They also have no problem with chargers coming in to grab coffee, use the wifi and restrooms. Pretty common I'd think.

• Like x 1
  3. jdowell362

jdowell362 Member

ahh thats great to hear!

i'm sure the culture is similar in most tesla places.

thanks

4. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

You can charge anywhere that there is a supercharger, but the supercharger network is really intended for those traveling or those who don't have the option to charge at home. Can you charge at home?

5. jdowell362

jdowell362 Member

is that to say the dealerships are equipped with superchargers akin to those standalone supercharger locations in say parking garages/hotels/malls? i can, but i dont have anything above a standard outlet (ie slllllllooooooowwwwwwww) but i do have chargers at my work

6. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

Can you charge at home?

7. kev1n

kev1n Member

i work 2 blocks away from a Tesla store and use their HPWC's all the time, they said it was fine for me to charge while i was at work.

8. jdowell362

jdowell362 Member

great to know! thanks!

9. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

Tesla doesn't have "dealerships" per se, but they have stores and service centers. It varies whether these will have superchargers onsite. If they don't, you're going to get a max 80 amp charger and if your car is equipped with 72 amp charging, you'll get about 60 miles per hour of charge. Not sure that's worth sitting around sipping coffee while waiting.

If you have chargers at work, that's where I'd charge.

• Like x 3
  10. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Member

This week I was at a new store near Munich. They had about 6 wall boxes outside, half of them not busy. As I was low on battery and my mother wanted to sit in an X, I parked at a wall box and connected my MS. I should have asked for permission. Immediately the assistant store manager rushed out to chase me away. The chargers are just for their own cars. In emergencies he might make an exception, but I was asked to unplug immediately.

As a seasoned Tesla driver I am used to plug in any chance I get. Anywhere I see a plug, I try to plug in.

My mother sat in an X and we went our ways, about 10 minutes after arrival.

This was the first time, charging was an issue at Tesla. Both Service Centers and Stores were always very helpfull and generous with charging. I wonder if this experience shows a change in company policy.

11. Tam

Tam Active Member

They should post a sign stating advanced permission required. Otherwise, owners should not automatically ask for a permission to plug in at a Tesla Supercharger or a Tesla HPWC.

• Like x 2
  12. kev1n

kev1n Member

doesnt make sense if its in an open area and not behind a gate or something

13. RichardL

RichardL Member

The store in Palo Alto rarely has a spare space to park, let alone charge - so while they might let you, I think it might be optimistic to expect to do that regularly. Same for the HQ building - they have valet parking and controls just to fit the cars in and I have never seen the chargers empty.

I did once see someone charge at the San Bruno store, but that doesn't seem so busy out front.

PS: We are neighbors apparently (quite a few around here)

14. Drekar

Drekar Member

At a mall near where I live the Tesla store has about 5 or 6 wall chargers to support their demo cars. I never thought they were open for public use. However, perhaps someone thought that. I see they have now roped off the area. Perhaps someone tried to use their wall charger while the car was out on a demo ride.

15. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

1. Tesla does not have dealerships.
    2. If you can afford a Tesla you can afford to pay for charging. Emergencies are one thing, but to ask to do it routinely at a Tesla store, or even worse, the HQ, really takes chutzpah.

16. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Unless your one-way commute is over 100 miles, not sure why anyone would need to charge while at work... From my experience driving through California, it would seem that Superchargers in locations like Dublin are just a big meet-up opportunity for locals, and not really as a necessity for long distance travel.

17. HyperMiler

HyperMiler Member

Yes but...

The goodness spirit...

Free for life...

Remember?

18. Fusion

Fusion Member

The you better charge at home only police are out on patrol...... LOL

• Funny x 2
  19. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

I've attempted to charge at the Bellevue, WA store and was told the chargers are only for Tesla owned vehicles.

20. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

Use plugshare. Who knows there might be a cheap or free local charger around.

Or sign up for subscription plan on Evgo and use their D.C. Charger is one is close by