TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging at The Gorge

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Tacket, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Tacket

Tacket Member

Howdy folks! I've got a gig out at The Gorge Amphitheater (Quincy, WA) in early August and would love to take my 60 out there but am a little concerned about there not appearing to be any chargers out that way. Has any one got experience taking an EV out to the gorge?

I'll probably be at the site for about 5-6 hours. If I remember correctly most of the venue is powered by generators (stages and such), so maybe I could plug in to one of those.

2. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

#2 PhilBa, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
    There are a couple of RV parks within 10 miles. That may be your best bet. It looks like Wildhorse is about a mile away.

I don't know the answer to your question about using generators to charge. Check out this thread Not 100% spot on but there is some talk of generators towards the end of the thread. I'd bring every kind of adapter you can get your hands on.

On a somewhat related note, the CaveB Inn is very close to the amphitheater (several hundred yards). They don't have anything (I called and asked). If you could take a few minutes and call them to ask, it might get them to do something (509) 785-2283 I let them know, nicely of course, that I would be booking elsewhere because of that. They pride themselves on being green.

3. JackA

JackA Member

I would suggest you contact the Gorge Amphitheater operators and explain you need to 240V 40/50/60/70A service while you are there. If they are using generators to make power I would have to assume that they are large capacity and can probably deliver 240V at different amperage as they must be supplying power to food vendors and others. It will be of interest to all of us to hear how this works out.

4. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

I have heard that cars might reject power from a generator. I know this is true for Roadsters. I don't know if any Model S drivers have tried it with success.

5. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

From that thread I linked to, it depends on the generator. I would assume the big industrial generators used for productions like at the Gorge would output better waveforms. One guy reported charging his car with a consumer grade honda generator.