Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at Vacation Rental

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been explained in other thread but after 45 mins of looking couldn't find definitive answer.

I'm going on vacation towards northeastern part of California at a lake where there is a SC about 75 miles away. I'd like to charge at the house we are renting but not sure 110V will do what I need. If the house has a 240V dryer socket that is accessible, am I able to run a cable to it? Example would be if the dryer was in the garage...

I think a lot depends upon how much you are going to drive while vacationing. If all you are doing is fishing, then a trickle charge during your stay will be more than adequate to reach the SC 75 miles away upon departure. A trickle charge on a 110 will add about 3-4 miles of range per hour, so a 12-hour overnight charge should add 40 or so miles per day.

You need to determine the dryer outlet and then get the proper adapter for the UMC. Some of the adapters for older dryer outlets are hard to come by now. But they are out there, perhaps you can send up an emergency flare and someone on this forum will loan you his or hers. Tesla's website only sells the 14-50 adapters a 12A/240V adapter and two 110V adapters.

You do not say where you are going, but your description indicates that your are either NE of Corning, due east of Mt. Shasta City or north of Truckee. If you will be at Lake Almanor, there is a 14-50 plug in Taylorsville which is about 15 miles from the junction of SR147 and SR89. Check PlugShare.

Finally, since you are going to be out there in the great wilderness, there might be a RV campground proximate to your rental. I would look around to see if there are any campgrounds within a reasonable distance from your rental. You could contact them to see if they have 14-50 outlets available for charging during the day. Frequently they will have an open slot or two during the day before an overnight guest arrives. You could offer to pay for the juice to be able to charge between 9AM and 4PM or whatever is convenient for the RV Park.

Good luck and let us know!

I know some Tesla owners go with getting every kind of adapter under the sun. I have gone with a medium level that is very versatile for the most common things.

The Tesla charge cable has a 14-50 plug. I have a 30 foot 14-50 extension, and then I have a few adapter cables to other plug types:
14-30 (new style dryer outlet)
10-30 (old style dryer outlet)
TT-30 (travel trailer at 120V 30A—At some campgrounds, they only have these electrical hookups instead of the 14-50)

Those cover the most common types of remote charging needs most people would be likely to find.

One minor adjustment I would do if I were doing this again is that I would not buy an official 14-50 camping extension cord. It has three thick wires (hot, hot, neutral) and one thinner one for the ground. The Tesla charging does not use the neutral pin, so that’s 30 or 50 feet of one of those thick wires that is not needed, which adds up to a stiffer cable and a few pounds more weight that isn’t needed. It’s not too hard to buy a length of cable(2 main conductors plus ground) and attach the plug and receptacle ends yourself.

Anyway, as @cpa mentioned, check with the place you’re staying and Plugshare to see if there is something, even a regular wall outlet you can use. If you do manage to set up some kind of charging with that place, go ahead and add it to Plugshare, so others can see that it’s available.

I've stayed a places with only 120v charging (12 amp) and was about to get more than 50 miles of range each day by plugging in over night. This was sufficient to cover daily driving.
You should investigate the dryer outlet since 240v will give you much more range even if it's only capable of 30 amps (24 amps continuous). If's it's not a 14-50, It's easy to make an adapter... check the charging faq.