Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at Waterville Valley??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 70D, live 10 miles south of Boston and would love to drive my Model S to Waterville this season (every weekend starting Thanksgiving), but not sure it's really doable with the cold weather. Any knowledge of charging stations in the immediate Waterville Valley Resort area? Can't find anything on Plugshare and don't want to drive the opposite direction to Lincoln every weekend before heading home. I can get there, but not sure I can get back to Hooksett.

My parents live in Watervile Valley. I don't think there are any L2 or higher chargers in town yet. My mom has been trying to get the town or the mountain to add some, but I don't think she's had any success yet.
It's about 70 miles from the Hookset chargers to Waterville, so 140miles round trip. You don't really need to drive your car much while in town as you can take the shuttle bus up to the mountain and back. I would think if you could plug into a 120V outlet for the weekend you would have enough range to make it back to Hookset at the end.https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/find-new/posts

This doesn't take traffic into account though. I'm not sure how much range the heater will take up while you are sitting in traffic in Concord.

It's more than 20 minutes to the chargers in Lincoln, and will be a major PIA at the end of a ski weekend since you will be hitting the traffic coming out of Loon Mt. I'm guessing it could add 1-1.5 hours to a 2-3 hour trip.

North75 - nail on the head. No chance I am driving an extra hour (30 minutes each way) not including charge time. I have emailed and called a bunch of different people at WV asking about their interest to install chargers. They even have a section on their website about their focus on being "green" and limiting the amount of idling and drop offs, etc. I used that as a perfect reason to install chargers to further the effort.

getting the 70D up to a full charge before leaving Hooksett also adds a good amount of time to the trip. As we all know, once it gets to the top it goes a lot more s l o w l y.

My goal is to find a 120V outlet because I will be taking the shuttle to the mountain and walking anywhere else. If I can get an extra 50 miles while being plugged in, that'll cover the first 10 actual miles as the car warms up :)

So....as I thought...no chargers. If anyone has any 120V spots, please let me know!

Keep in mind that the mountain, the Waterville Valley Resort or whatever its called now is separate from the town government, and while cordial they don't necessarily see eye to eye on everything, or have the same budgets. (My dad is a Selectman)

You may want to attempt to petition the town as well as the resort if you haven't done so already.

Town of Waterville Valley, NH

Quick update.....Tim Smith (President at Waterville Valley) has been super responsive and has taken action! He said he contacted Tesla about their charging partner program and filled out all of the paperwork, but hasn't heard boo from them since. He'd hoping it just takes a bit for them to respond, but he's shooting for destination chargers in the town square area of WV. Fingers crossed.

Is there anyway to call Tesla's attention to his application?

Last edited:
And of course now the feedback I am getting from the resort President is that "it's a bit more complicated than he originally thought" and "he doesn't have a timeline at this point". I am curious to find out if the complications are on his end or Tesla's.

And of course now the feedback I am getting from the resort President is that "it's a bit more complicated than he originally thought" and "he doesn't have a timeline at this point". I am curious to find out if the complications are on his end or Tesla's.
FWIW, I know of a location in NH that was approved for the destination charger program, but they bailed when they realized they were on the hook for installation. They originally thought that installation was included with the equipment.

FWIW, I know of a location in NH that was approved for the destination charger program, but they bailed when they realized they were on the hook for installation. They originally thought that installation was included with the equipment.
Installation (up to a point at least) is included in the destination charging program. The location should only be on the hook for the power.

Granted if installation is going to be insanely $$$ they won't cover all the costs though.

/edit. I've seen them cover up to $5k at times, but they try and stay under $3k unless it's a important location.

Installation (up to a point at least) is included in the destination charging program. The location should only be on the hook for the power.

Granted if installation is going to be insanely $$$ they won't cover all the costs though.

/edit. I've seen them cover up to $5k at times, but they try and stay under $3k unless it's a important location.
Interesting. Is that a recent change, or has it always been that way? If a recent change, I could ask the location to reconsider if Tesla would foot the bill. Although maybe there was another reason (like not wanting to give up parking spaces in their small lot).

While it is suggested that the spots in front of the chargers be dedicated for EV charging, there is nothing in the contract saying they have to be. Our destination charging spots are general parking. You should ask again about getting the chargers installed. Usually it's more the location doesn't want to deal with it... Tesla is super generous about destination charging installation costs if you qualify.

There is a Q4'22 coming soon pin for Thornton, NH

EDIT: and to be clear, just because the pin is in Thornton doesn't commit Tesla to installing it there. It's generally considered acknowledgement by of a need or intent to add a supercharger in that general area. It could conceivably even be in Waterville Valley for all we know.

Last edited:
Reactions: NewEnglandCld
Yeah that’ll be awesome hopefully. Still think it’s crazy there’s nothing in the Valley though.

Do you think the pin is just generically placed right now, or is that where they’re going to install? Seems like kinda a weird spot on the map.
See my previous post, edited as you were posting this - it's probably just a generic pin for the area, and for all we know Tesla could be considering Waterville Valley itself.

Reactions: NewEnglandCld