Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at work, keep it plugged in at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I have a some sort of specific situation.
I drive my 2022 Model 3 long range daily to work. I park in the garage where I can charge for free using Tesla wall Connector. I set my charge limit to 80% and charging daily plus leave it plugged in until I pick up the car.
When I come home I plug in the car but I lower my charge limit so I don’t need to use my home electricity to charge but I can keep the car plugged in.
Can you tell me if what I do is correct and help me to preserve the life of battery?

I live in NJ and we just entered the cold season. Car is set to preconditioned and it’s using the grid to defrost and warm in the car.

Can you tell me if what I do is correct and help me to preserve the life of battery?
Well, first off, if you're not running it down really high or low, whatever you're doing is fine for your battery. You don't need to baby it.

When I come home I plug in the car but I lower my charge limit so I don’t need to use my home electricity to charge but I can keep the car plugged in.
If you're not going to be doing any actual charging there, then there is no reason at all to plug in there. You're just putting extra wear on the charge port latch.

I have charging at work, and don't plug in at home, except on weekends, which works just fine. There are some advantages in what you're doing. if you were to have a change of plans that would cause you to want to charge at home after all, you would only have to change the charge level from your phone instead of having to go to the car and plug it in. It's not very interesting to me because my garage is right there, but if my car were parked across a parking lot, it might be nice. Also your routine would allow you to use wall power to precondition the car in the morning, however, if preconditioning the car still leaves you plenty of battery to get to work, I don't see much reason to do it.

I think the user manual says if the car is not in use its best to keep it plugged in. I've heard a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla. So at home my understanding is its best to leave it plugged in even if not charging the car. If I go somewhere I don't look for a charger to plug the car into.
But at home I always plug in as soon as I get home and the scheduled charging takes care of the charge limit and then I just leave it plugged in until I leave. I don't know if that is right or not but just following the manual.

Reactions: Matteo Pedalà
A lot of the reason for that recommendation is that following it means that most owners don't have to worry about details like how much power Sentry mode uses. It also makes the car more convenient to be topped up as much as possible.

As long as the battery level mostly stays within reasonable bounds, when to plug in is pretty darned flexible.

Last edited:
Hello. I have a some sort of specific situation.
I drive my 2022 Model 3 long range daily to work. I park in the garage where I can charge for free using Tesla wall Connector. I set my charge limit to 80% and charging daily plus leave it plugged in until I pick up the car.

I live in NJ and we just entered the cold season. Car is set to preconditioned and it’s using the grid to defrost and warm in the car.
The owners manual says it's okay to keep it plugged in when not in use. If anything following what it says can't really do too much harm and the whole wear on the charging port/latch is probably valid in the long run and I mean the long run. I actually spoke to a tesla rep the other day and specifically asked for tips on battery health and she said to leave it plugged up if I can, it will help keep the battery warmed up for departures and to keep it within bounds of daily for charging if I'm not going on a road trip. So I just keep it at 75-80% and plugged up until I have to run an errand.

I think the user manual says if the car is not in use its best to keep it plugged in. I've heard a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla. So at home my understanding is its best to leave it plugged in even if not charging the car. If I go somewhere I don't look for a charger to plug the car into.
But at home I always plug in as soon as I get home and the scheduled charging takes care of the charge limit and then I just leave it plugged in until I leave. I don't know if that is right or not but just following the manual.
I do the exact same thing and now wondering if this is the best way to get the most out of the battery. I set mine to 85% limit and scheduled to start charge at 12:15am which is Off Peak for me. That means even if I use the car very little that day and only use 10% I still plug it in when I get home and it charges it back to 85% every night.

A lot of the reason for that recommendation is that following it means that most owners don't have to worry about details like how much power Sentry mode uses. It also makes the car more convenient to be topped up as much as possible.

As long as the battery level mostly stays within reasonable bounds, when to plug in is pretty darned flexible.
Hi. I kept my Model 3 plugged without charging plugged to my home wall connector level 2 set at 32 Amps with Sentry mode on for 13 hours and, in the morning, I noticed a 3% decrease on the battery level.

Hi. I kept my Model 3 plugged without charging plugged to my home wall connector level 2 set at 32 Amps with Sentry mode on for 13 hours and, in the morning, I noticed a 3% decrease on the battery level.
It will go around 3-4 percent below before topping off again. May even wait until the next charge period if you have a charge time set.

It's "expensive" in terms of power used to keep the high power converter running all the time.

Personally, I don't use sentry mode because it's so expensive to run.

Reactions: Rocky_H