Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging AUX battery in caravan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Euro X owner here. I'm curious if anyone has figured out how the pin 9&10 in the 13pin trailer connector operates in Tesla?

9Orange12v Permanent power for Battery
10Grey12v Ignition on Battery charging or Fridge

Most caravans have their own 12V battery (for interior lights etc) that is charged from pin 10 when the (petrol) car is running. Pin 9 is always powered so usually is not used in petrol cars, but in Tesla you could use that because 12V is always charged from the drive battery.

I have been trying to find information if there is some kind of current limit in these pins? I mean, if trailer battery is really empty and you plug it in, it can easily draw >100A which will probably melt the connector and wiring and possibly fry Tesla's DCDC converter? :) I'm sure there is at least a fuse somewhere, but even that is not very practical if you need to change it very often.

I also tried to find an external current limiter device but haven't found one. Ideally I think the current should be limited to 10A or so. Then trailer battery would charge slowly until it's full..