Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging behavior when leaving car unattended for a few days?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok guys, I've got a quick question.

For the first time since I got my Model S in March, I've not driven it for a few days (3 days). It's sitting in my driveway, connected to the HPWC.

SOC Setting is set to 80%..

So here's the question : I've noticed that the car does not hold 80%... it seems to "wait" for the battery SOC to get lower before kicking charging up again. Anyone know when this is done (recharging the vampire drain) ?

Ex : 100%Soc is 270miles on my car. When my car "full" (fresh charge to 80%), I get 216miles on the app. Now, after those 3 days, the app shows "Charging complete" but with 205miles on the car. The charge bar is actually lower that the setting. My SOC is not close to 75-76%. I know this is vampire drain (energy saving is OFF since it causes problem with connectivity in Canada)... but when can I expect the car to restart charging and bump it back to 80%?

I know for a fact that if I go out and touch the charge port or enter the car... or start HVAC using the app, the car will restart charging... but when will it do it on its own?

Thanks

I leave the car for as long as 6 weeks and the iPhone alerts about charging come every 2-3 days but it always gets back up to the preset SOC. It appears that the SOC has to drop a certain amount in order to trigger charging. I believe there is a thread on this but I am too lazy at the moment to look for it.

I leave the car for as long as 6 weeks and the iPhone alerts about charging come every 2-3 days but it always gets back up to the preset SOC. It appears that the SOC has to drop a certain amount in order to trigger charging. I believe there is a thread on this but I am too lazy at the moment to look for it.

A couple of years ago, my car would "top off" every second day as recorded by my dedicated meter on the charging circuit to the tune of exactly 2.5 kWh. Clearly it had to drop a bit to trigger the charge cycle. I think later firmware versions with energy savings options has changed the rate a bit, but the concept of a drop, then a top off still seems to apply.

Ok guys, I've got a quick question.

For the first time since I got my Model S in March, I've not driven it for a few days (3 days). It's sitting in my driveway, connected to the HPWC.

SOC Setting is set to 80%..

So here's the question : I've noticed that the car does not hold 80%... it seems to "wait" for the battery SOC to get lower before kicking charging up again. Anyone know when this is done (recharging the vampire drain) ?

Ex : 100%Soc is 270miles on my car. When my car "full" (fresh charge to 80%), I get 216miles on the app. Now, after those 3 days, the app shows "Charging complete" but with 205miles on the car. The charge bar is actually lower that the setting. My SOC is not close to 75-76%. I know this is vampire drain (energy saving is OFF since it causes problem with connectivity in Canada)... but when can I expect the car to restart charging and bump it back to 80%?

I know for a fact that if I go out and touch the charge port or enter the car... or start HVAC using the app, the car will restart charging... but when will it do it on its own?

Thanks

Tesla recommends plugging your car in whenever possible. The car takes care of keeping your battery in the best possible shape. I'd say this is one of the things it does to keep the battery healthy.

You'd think that after all the employee poaching Apple has done to Tesla, that Tesla would switch their priorities to the Android app. But NO, we still have to put up with no notifications and smiting lightning bolts ;)

PS: When I go away for several days, I just lower my SOC target to 50% and leave the car plugged in. The manual says the car likes to be stored at 50% for long periods of time, and I figure there's no point using the extra power it takes to do multiple small charges while I'm away versus one big charge the night I get home.

A couple of years ago, my car would "top off" every second day as recorded by my dedicated meter on the charging circuit to the tune of exactly 2.5 kWh. Clearly it had to drop a bit to trigger the charge cycle. I think later firmware versions with energy savings options has changed the rate a bit, but the concept of a drop, then a top off still seems to apply.

Also, the new cars have more efficient hardware, not a huge improvement, but about 25% less thirst for the vampire in a new P85D vs a Sig P85 with similar software.