TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging behavior when leaving car unattended for a few days?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by llavalle, Jun 3, 2015.

1. llavalle

llavalle Member

Somewhere around Montreal in Quebec, Canada
    Ok guys, I've got a quick question.

For the first time since I got my Model S in March, I've not driven it for a few days (3 days). It's sitting in my driveway, connected to the HPWC.

SOC Setting is set to 80%..

So here's the question : I've noticed that the car does not hold 80%... it seems to "wait" for the battery SOC to get lower before kicking charging up again. Anyone know when this is done (recharging the vampire drain) ?

Ex : 100%Soc is 270miles on my car. When my car "full" (fresh charge to 80%), I get 216miles on the app. Now, after those 3 days, the app shows "Charging complete" but with 205miles on the car. The charge bar is actually lower that the setting. My SOC is not close to 75-76%. I know this is vampire drain (energy saving is OFF since it causes problem with connectivity in Canada)... but when can I expect the car to restart charging and bump it back to 80%?

I know for a fact that if I go out and touch the charge port or enter the car... or start HVAC using the app, the car will restart charging... but when will it do it on its own?

Thanks

2. siucity

siucity Button Pusher

I just came back from a 2 week vacation. I got alerts about every 3 days that charging has started and completed. I left the charge limit at around 60%. I also picked up my car in March of this year.

3. caddieo

caddieo Member

I leave the car for as long as 6 weeks and the iPhone alerts about charging come every 2-3 days but it always gets back up to the preset SOC. It appears that the SOC has to drop a certain amount in order to trigger charging. I believe there is a thread on this but I am too lazy at the moment to look for it.

4. llavalle

llavalle Member

Alright. Good to know.

Thanks guys.

5. Barry

Barry Member

I have the Android app, but never noticed any alert settings. How do you set up these alerts?

6. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

You get an iPhone. :)

Seriously, I don't think the Android Tesla App supports notifications yet.

Mike

7. llavalle

llavalle Member

Correct, no notifications on the Android app.

8. lagann

lagann Member

Get used to it, us Android users are second class citizens. I guess we're being punished for not using such an anti-consumer phone. How dare us!

9. llavalle

llavalle Member

Yeah.. as the weeks and month passes, I'm more and more tempted to write my own Android app...

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago, my car would "top off" every second day as recorded by my dedicated meter on the charging circuit to the tune of exactly 2.5 kWh. Clearly it had to drop a bit to trigger the charge cycle. I think later firmware versions with energy savings options has changed the rate a bit, but the concept of a drop, then a top off still seems to apply.

11. lagann

lagann Member

Tesla recommends plugging your car in whenever possible. The car takes care of keeping your battery in the best possible shape. I'd say this is one of the things it does to keep the battery healthy.

12. Damiano

Damiano Member

You'd think that after all the employee poaching Apple has done to Tesla, that Tesla would switch their priorities to the Android app. But NO, we still have to put up with no notifications and smiting lightning bolts ;)

PS: When I go away for several days, I just lower my SOC target to 50% and leave the car plugged in. The manual says the car likes to be stored at 50% for long periods of time, and I figure there's no point using the extra power it takes to do multiple small charges while I'm away versus one big charge the night I get home.

13. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Also, the new cars have more efficient hardware, not a huge improvement, but about 25% less thirst for the vampire in a new P85D vs a Sig P85 with similar software.

14. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Active Member

An Android user? Ahhh, well that explains the lightening bolt then... :biggrin:

15. lagann

lagann Member

Not just a user, I develop an app on it.