Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Best Practice…???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(NOTE: I searched and searched TMC for an answer to this Q and cannot find anything that addresses my Q, specifically.)

I have read/heard that charging to 80% unless before a long road trip (and/or keeping the SOC 20% -80%) is best. However, I wanted to ask about daily habits. Road trips are rare for me, so my daily commute M-F and errands and family activities is all my normal driving consists of.

Is it best to charge daily to 80% or charge to 80% every other day or every third day while running the battery down to 20%-ish (or below)? What is best overall battery health, battery life, and for minimizing range degradation?

Cheers.

For what it's worth, I live in an apartment with shared charging and only use a few % a day going back and forth to work nearby. I charge maybe twice a week? Once before the weekend, once sometime in the middle of the week if I did anything fun over the weekend. I haven't seen any negative biproducts of my seldom charging.

Upvote 0
(NOTE: I searched and searched TMC for an answer to this Q and cannot find anything that addresses my Q, specifically.)

I have read/heard that charging to 80% unless before a long road trip (and/or keeping the SOC 20% -80%) is best. However, I wanted to ask about daily habits. Road trips are rare for me, so my daily commute M-F and errands and family activities is all my normal driving consists of.

Is it best to charge daily to 80% or charge to 80% every other day or every third day while running the battery down to 20%-ish (or below)? What is best overall battery health, battery life, and for minimizing range degradation?
The battery is happiest near 50%. If the car is being stored, ideally set it to 50% and keep it plugged in with nightly scheduled charging. For your light daily use routine, depending on convenience, charging to 60% once it reaches the low 40s would be great. If the car is mostly sitting in the driveway/garage, charging from 35% to 55% might be slightly better since that would be closer to 50% most of the time. Or even nightly charging to 50% or 55% if that's easy.

Keeping it close to 50% for most of the time is best. OTOH, it's good to top it up to 90% or more every now and then to help calibrate the battery management system. Even topping up to 100% is fine occasionally as long as you drive it right away to get the state of charge down. The worst thing to do is to store the car for a long period of time at a very high or very low state of charge.

I have no idea how much benefit there is going from say 30% --> 70% charging to 40% --> 60% charging. My guess is it would be small or very small.

Upvote 0
In general, smaller depth of discharge is better than larger, so charging every day is better than waiting until it gets low and charging once or twice a week. Avoid very low or very high charge for long periods. Staying closer to 50% is better.

But also no need to over think it. Just set the charge limit enough so you can comfortably meet your daily driving needs without anxiety and plug it in as often as possible.

Personally I use about 12-15% daily so I set my charge limit to 55-57% and charge daily, and set it up so it finishes charging right before I leave. I’ll bump it up on the weekends as needed if I think I’ll go somewhere farther.

Reactions: BillRadio and cgell
Upvote 0
The battery is happiest near 50%. If the car is being stored, ideally set it to 50% and keep it plugged in with nightly scheduled charging. For your light daily use routine, depending on convenience, charging to 60% once it reaches the low 40s would be great. If the car is mostly sitting in the driveway/garage, charging from 35% to 55% might be slightly better since that would be closer to 50% most of the time. Or even nightly charging to 50% or 55% if that's easy.

Keeping it close to 50% for most of the time is best. OTOH, it's good to top it up to 90% or more every now and then to help calibrate the battery management system. Even topping up to 100% is fine occasionally as long as you drive it right away to get the state of charge down. The worst thing to do is to store the car for a long period of time at a very high or very low state of charge.

I have no idea how much benefit there is going from say 30% --> 70% charging to 40% --> 60% charging. My guess is it would be small or very small.
you can go as low as 0% without issues and degradation is also lowers with lower SOC. Most guys that actually really understand the batteries will tell you to charge to 55% Panasonic and 60% LG. No problem going low %. Batteries protected both from manufacturer and Tesla if you're worried about low soc.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam
Upvote 0
you can go as low as 0% without issues and degradation is also lowers with lower SOC. Most guys that actually really understand the batteries will tell you to charge to 55% Panasonic and 60% LG. No problem going low %. Batteries protected both from manufacturer and Tesla if you're worried about low soc.
I agree. I was wrong. Thanks for the correction!

Upvote 0
Charging Best Practices!
Maintaining Li-ion Batteries - Real-world Recommendations for BEVs. These recommendations were revised recently in light of conversations with experts and long-time BEV owners on this forum.

Attachments

• BEV - Maintaining Li-ion Battery.png
    BEV - Maintaining Li-ion Battery.png
    210 KB · Views: 237
  • Helpful
Reactions: BitJam
Upvote 0