Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging - best practices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here so apologies if this has been covered elsewhere...

What's the best practice in terms of home charging? Is 80% better than 90% if I do not need the range on a daily basis? Is charging daily better or emptying the battery, say down to 20% better before charging?

Thank you!

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Newbie here so apologies if this has been covered elsewhere...

What's the best practice in terms of home charging? Is 80% better than 90% if I do not need the range on a daily basis? Is charging daily better or emptying the battery, say down to 20% better before charging?

Thank you!
How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity

check out this thread. Lots of good information.

Reactions: XLR82XS
The cause for the debate on this topic is pretty much summarized/caused by this tweet thread: https://twitter.com/pfierens/status/1068921251832492035

Elon essentially says two things:
  • Technically 70% SOC is ideal since it is closer to 50% and reduces wear on the battery
  • In practice, the impact on your battery is not really a problem and it's fine to just charge to 80-90% to have more usable mileage. This has minor wear on your battery.

upload_2020-9-8_13-45-48.png

OP, if you have ever been a part of any car forum at all, this question you are asking is very much like asking the following questions:

1. My <insert car here> came with runflat tires. Are runflats better than regular tires?
2. Is it better to use synthetic oil for an oil change, rather than regular oil?
3. What tires should I get for my car? Do I need snow tires or are all seasons good enough?
4. Whats a good price to pay for tint on my car?

Point being, is there is no "correct" answer. There is a section on charging from tesla in the manual, and they have some tips about range. If you want to START with what tesla recommends, related to range of your car, you can start by reading the first page or so of the following thread:

Tesla Official Statement on Range

Past that, you basically need to just search here and decide what you specifically want to do. Just like the examples above, there are people who believe strongly on one thing or another related to each of those things, but there is no "right' answer... just like there is no "right" answer on "what is the best way to charge"?

For my Model 3 SR+:
72% is my normal charge, and I usually return home anywhere between 48% to 62%
(This covers my average day, plus a bit extra for last-minute plans)
80% for longer days, I will not hesitate
90% for most trips, especially those which I have not driven before
100% almost never, but if I feel like I may need (or want) every bit of energy I’d do it.

Always prefer to charge before going below 20%... although I know I can.

Always plugged in at home.