TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging by Lewisburg PA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Mahedy, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Mahedy

Mahedy Member

Hey Guys,

I just took delivery of my Model S. We are going on our first road trip to Lewisburg Pa. We live in Manhattan and have calculated a trip length of 188 miles. The issue isn't getting there, it's getting back. Is there anyone who knows a place to charge near Lewisburg? We probably need a full charge to get back. Thank you!

Model: P85

- John and Alex

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Though I live in PA, I'm unfamiliar with that town. Have you tried carstations.com, recargo and charge point maps?

3. Mahedy

Mahedy Member

I guess it's a small town. It's about 70 miles north of Harrisburg. I haven't tried carstations.com but the other sites I have tried. The only charger is either in an amusement park 20 or so miles east or25 miles north at a Nissan Dealership.
    I am hoping to find an owner who would let us charge for a little while.

On another note, when I got the email from TMC saying I had been replied to, it read: "AnOutsider replied to your post."
    I thought this was TMCs way of saying an unregistered user had replied.

Where in PA are you?

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I are ninja :)

Anywho, that park is probably Hershey. Not sure what your situation is or plans are, but I find that i can always kill a few hours at Hersey, so if you can as well, its a nice place to charge and kill time while doing so. You might also try plug share to find owners in that area.

I'm about 30-40 mins east of Hershey off 78, so if all else fails, I've got an extra hpwc you can top off on

5. Mahedy

Mahedy Member

This is my trip "manifest": Google Docs - Online documents, spreadsheets, presentations, surveys, file storage and more

PlugShare is a godsend, so many residential chargers!

Now I see why the twin chargers are a good option :/

Let me know what you think.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

That, sir, is pretty damned detailed! The good news is 78 is a straight shot. The bad news, at least for me, is that the average speed is pretty high and its pretty hilly. 360-380 wh/m is pretty likely for me n nice weather

7. AprilDelivery??

Theres an nissan dealership of Allentown right off of I-78 and they are very friendly . I charged there once but as you know the nissan leaf charger charges at 18 miles per hour.

8. benfrank3

benfrank3 Member

Look for campgrounds. Ask for a 50 amp campsite. They are everywhere. You just need your mobile connector as long as they have a 50 amp rv plug, and almost all campgrounds do!

9. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

Best way to find campgrounds is at Allstays.com site.

Campgrounds in Pennsylvania with 50 Amp Sites

A 50 amp charges almost twice as fast as a J1772. I have stayed at some with fairly nice cabins and if you choose right you can be near a nice hike etc. Many will also let you charge for a fee for a few hours on your way to your final destination.

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

A "50A" outlet is really providing 40A. Most J1772's that I bother using are 30A. So really only 33% faster...

11. Curt

Curt Roadster Signature #55

It's really between the two. Since most J1772 connectors at 30A are at just 208V, and NEMA 14-50 connectors usually provide the full 240V, it comes out to roughly 54% faster with the 50A service.

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Um, no. Firstly I don't think it has anything to do with the connectors. Secondly it's about the service not the device.

I've seen J1772 as low as 192V and 14-50 as low as 203V in my travels. And I've only been at this for under a year.

Anyway, I disagree with your numbers but agree with your overall premise: I prefer 14-50 to J1772 when scouting reachable outlets from a charge efficiency perspective. Additionally, I prefer J1772 from a convenience perspective: their cable my adapter is faster than my cable from a logistics perspective.

Also, I'm looking forward to the 70+A J1772 that are starting to pop up thanks to the efforts of Jack and others.