Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Cable Brainstorming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will soon have a second Tesla, and it will live to the left of our current car. They will take turns charging (not a problem because the new car will rarely be driven).

Garage.jpg

As you can see, the cord won't be long enough to go around the back of the new car. I'll probably buy a short extension cord (14-50 plug, charges at 22 MPH), but I thought I'd see if there are any other clever ideas. I could suspend the cable, but that's kludgy, inconvenient, and seems risky. I could park the existing car face in, but I don't want to take the chance that the cable would be driven over by mistake.

Any other ideas before I buy an extension cord? Advice on which extension cord to buy?

Thanks!

My initial thought would be to locate another outlet, or move the existing one, to the center of the ceiling, behind the garage door opener. Combine that with some sort of arm system which can swivel around to get the cord closer to the charge port. That should make the cord available for either car parked rear in.

outlet_location.jpg

I found this with a little searching: Affordable and convenient way to get Tesla cables off the garage floor, trip-free charging from above!

I wouldn't think that a hanging system would be that kludgy, but it seems convenient and should be safe if there's no kinks in the cabling or places to pinch the cable. Of course it is probably the most expensive method to get the job done but it can look professional if done right.

My mobile cable is plugged into a wall outlet. I have 4 evenly spaced bungee cords that are hooked to U hooks nailed into the ceiling cross beams. The cable is suspended on the opposite hooks of the hanging bungees. It hangs down about a foot from the ceiling and is out of the way. If I need to take the cable down for a trip, it takes just a minute to lift it off the bungee hooks. My cable never touches the garage floor.

Reactions: Acps110 and PianoAl
The plug head on the Tesla mobile connector has a heat sensor to detect excess heat buildup if the plug to outlet interface is poor. If you use a 14-50 extension cord, this safety feature is lost at the outlet, though excess heat at the receptacle end of the extension cord can be detected.

Reactions: bruce4000
Keep the primary car close to the NEMA 14-50 and purchase an inexpensive J1772 level 1 charger (and adapter), for the lesser used car and just keep in plugged into a 110v socket, and charging at ~8amps.
If a dedicated 120V 5-15 or 5-20 outlet is available for the lesser used car, a second Tesla mobile connector with a 5-15 or 5-20 plug head is probably a relatively inexpensive EVSE -- and can, if necessary, be used in other plugs with the appropriate plug adapter.

While recent electrical codes require a dedicated outlet for each parking space in a garage, older houses may have garage outlets shared with other things in the house, so using the full 12A on such outlet may be risky, hence the common recommendation to charge at a lower amperage on a 120V outlet shared with other things. However, lower amperage charging may be relatively inefficient, since the car's consumption while awake for the longer charging time significantly cuts into the amount of energy going into the car's battery.

I could park the existing car face in, but I don't want to take the chance that the cable would be driven over by mistake.
Going on "no idea is stupid when brainstorming", you could build a "speed bump" type protector with a channel to lay the cable in, that a car could drive over without damaging the cable.

I'd try two lengths of of 1x3 lumber (which is actually ¾" x 2½") anchored to the floor, with a gap wide enough for the cable (about ½") between them. You could cut angles on the outside edges to form a ramp, to make it easier to drive over.

If you put this about half way in, and maybe on an angle if necessary, you would only have to drive over it once, and the existing car might still be able to back in. You could even make two shorter lengths, covering only where the tires would cross.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Acps110 and brkaus
What I did:
Very nice. I'm going set something up temporarily today so I can charge both tonight, then I'll put together a more elegant solution like yours. We back in, so the garage door isn't in the way.

Do you have a link to your balancer (or the weight rating)?

I've replaced the orange carabiner with a soft strap.

The only disadvantage I've discovered so far is that if I open trunk when the dark car is plugged in, the cord slips under the top part such that closing it would cause a DISASTER! That is, I can imagine the trunk lid getting broken. I'll have to work on that, because it's not enough to just remember to avoid that.

Sorry if I missed it, but why not have a wall connector installed in the center of the back wall? That location would easily reach both vehicles. It shouldn’t be too expensive to run some conduit from your existing location.
That would be nice, but it would be considerably more expensive than my hanging cord approach (free) or an $80 10' extension cord, yes?