TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Charging cable fault

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by psbill, Sep 1, 2017.

1. psbill

psbill Member

I'm trying to use a 110v outlet ( all that's available overnight) with a 12 gauge, 15 foot extension cord. Port lights red, screen says "charging cable fault" and the red light on the cable itself blinks. Just not enough juice to charge? Any ideas?

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Disconnect , Turn down the amps, and try again.

3. psbill

psbill Member

Thanks. I"ll give it a try.

4. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Outlet not properly grounded.

• Informative x 1
  5. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Yeah, probably this. I think you might be surprised how many random 120V outlets you find in various places don't have their ground done right. I ran into it over at a friend's house.

6. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

I just had the same issue with an extension cord. I dialed down to 9 amps and it worked.

7. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I just got this error multiple times when trying to charge our new X with the new-cheaper-style mobile connector at 240V. It did work a few times, but failed many more times. It also failed a couple of the few times I tried the new connector on my S.

Using the same mobile connector at 120V works just fine. Our wall connector at 240V works fine too; as my other mobile connector, and a J1772 EVSE.

There is nothing wrong with the 240V outlet; I have used it to charge my S and Roadster for years, and other chargers I plug in there work on the X.

A tech is stopping by tomorrow so I'll ask. It could be the new connector is just sticky and despite my best efforts (I am aware that new ones are often sticky and need to be forced in) it is just not always going in all the way.

8. Need

Need Member

Our new X came with the 32A UMC too, and it did the same thing yours did on 240V. If you get the red ring, have you tried unplug from the outlet, plug it back in and try again? I could only get it to charge that way. We had the tech came out and he just exchanged the 32A and gave us the old 40A UMC and it worked perfectly every time.

9. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Yes, once this error occurs, the "T" light on the mobile connector is red, and you will continue to get this error every time until you unplug from the outlet and try again.

After trying that, I only get the error 75% of the time...