Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging cable included with a new model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model Y in September 2020. It came with a Tesla Mobile Connector with a NEMA 5-20 adapter. That’s plus into a “normal” 120 volt 15 or 20 amp receptacle. If you need to charge faster than 4 miles added per hour then you could have a NEMA 14-50R installed and by the 14-50 adapter from Tesla for $45. That will add 29 or 30 miles per hour to your battery.

Upvote 0
Can a charging cable be hard wired to a panel/breaker and not require an adapter?
I don't know of an open pigtail that you could use. It would probably be easiest to just install a 14-50 or similar outlet connected to the panel/breaker and get the correct adapter from Tesla.
if you really want to hard wire it, I guess you could cut off the connector on the 14-50 adapter but the tail would be a bit short to wire to the breaker.

Upvote 0
Can a charging cable be hard wired to a panel/breaker and not require an adapter?
You can buy a wall connector which is hardwired, but this doesn't come with the car and currently costs $500. There are other options from other companies besides Tesla as well, e.g. JuiceBox or ChargePoint.
I think I will go with the 14-50 wall outlet from the breaker and use an adapter to the charging cable. Does the car come with the cable if I get the adapter
Yes, the mobile connector that comes with the car can charge from any outlet for which you have the appropriate adapter. The only outlet adapter that comes with the car is for the normal wall outlet. For any other receptacle type (e.g. 14-50), you need to purchase the appropriate adapter, but once you do the mobile connector will work fine with it.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I think I will go with the 14-50 wall outlet from the breaker and use an adapter to the charging cable. Does the car come with the cable if I get the adapter
Yes, the cable comes with the car. It comes with the standard 120v NEMA 5-15 adapter as well so you can plug into a normal wall outlet on trips or in emergency.
This is the kit that comes with the car: Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Upvote 0
I got my Model Y in September 2020. It came with a Tesla Mobile Connector with a NEMA 5-20 adapter. That’s plus into a “normal” 120 volt 15 or 20 amp receptacle. If you need to charge faster than 4 miles added per hour then you could have a NEMA 14-50R installed and by the 14-50 adapter from Tesla for $45. That will add 29 or 30 miles per hour to your battery.

The mobile connector comes with a 5-15 adapter, not a 5-20 adapter. A 5-15 plug will fit in a 5-15 or a 5-20 outlet but is only capable of charging at up to 12 amps. A 5-20 plug will only fit in a 5-20 outlet and is capable of charging at 16 amps.

5-15 and 5-20 adapters:
1624026406957.png
1624026415119.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
The mobile connector comes with a 5-15 adapter, not a 5-20 adapter. A 5-15 plug will fit in a 5-15 or a 5-20 outlet but is only capable of charging at up to 12 amps. A 5-20 plug will only fit in a 5-20 outlet and is capable of charging at 16 amps.

5-15 and 5-20 adapters:
View attachment 674819View attachment 674820
You are right. I mistyped. 5-15 is what I got.

Upvote 0