Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging cable longer than 20ft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wall charger has a 24 foot cable. I believe that (24 feet) is the longest that electrical code allows for level 2 chargers. Thus, I dont think you will find any charger longer than 24 feet, and they all likely say not to use any extension cord if you are going more than 24 feet.

If you use an extension cord it would need to be one that supports the amperage you are putting through it.

First, this is not guaranteed advice. Just things that I have used previously. No guarantees, or warranty ;)

Depends what your source is. If it’s 120V then I have used 12/3 extension cords, eg https://www.amazon.com/US-Wire-74050-50-Foot-Extension/dp/B0020YHX0E

If you’re extending from a 240V 50A nema 14-50, eg from campground, then you might use an rv extension cable, eg https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079ZBJM29

Remember EVs draw continuous load for prolonged periods of time, so double, then triple check quality of cables.

Again, everything at your own risk and if this is for permanent installation then have electrician wire in receptacle for UMC or HPWC closer to where you need it.

• Informative
Reactions: eprosenx
The wall charger has a 24 foot cable. I believe that (24 feet) is the longest that electrical code allows for level 2 chargers. Thus, I dont think you will find any charger longer than 24 feet, and they all likely say not to use any extension cord if you are going more than 24 feet.

If you use an extension cord it would need to be one that supports the amperage you are putting through it.

Yes indeed! Cord length is actually technically limited to 25 feet by NEC (though one wonders if NEC applies to a plug in device like a UMC since it is not hardwired.

2017 NFPA 70 (NEC) Article 625.17 (C) says:
Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 11.01.28 PM.png

But to expand on the extension cord comment: I would just about never recommend charging an EV on an extension cord at your primary home location. I might in special circumstances charge on an extension cord when on a trip somewhere, but I would watch it like a hawk and try to avoid using it while sleeping.

I would absolutely have a receptacle added or relocated to be where you need it.

Hi guys,

Is there any cable out there that is longer than 20ft for charging?

Want your recommendations if there are any...

Thanks in advance!

Can you explain a bit more about the situation you are trying to solve for? Likely moving an existing receptacle or adding a new circuit would provide a safer and more convenient solution. Something like a Wall Connector might also be interesting rather than a cord and plug connected device like the UMC.

Yes indeed! Cord length is actually technically limited to 25 feet by NEC (though one wonders if NEC applies to a plug in device like a UMC since it is not hardwired.

2017 NFPA 70 (NEC) Article 625.17 (C) says:
View attachment 357731

But to expand on the extension cord comment: I would just about never recommend charging an EV on an extension cord at your primary home location. I might in special circumstances charge on an extension cord when on a trip somewhere, but I would watch it like a hawk and try to avoid using it while sleeping.

I would absolutely have a receptacle added or relocated to be where you need it.

Can you explain a bit more about the situation you are trying to solve for? Likely moving an existing receptacle or adding a new circuit would provide a safer and more convenient solution. Something like a Wall Connector might also be interesting rather than a cord and plug connected device like the UMC.

Have a few electricians coming out to my place this week and just want to be prepared as possible for all scenarios. I have some classic cars sitting in my garage currently so my Tesla will be parked outside near the garage once I receive it. 20 ft should be more than enough of my outlet is installed in the right place but just want to cover all scenarios if possible!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Have a few electricians coming out to my place this week and just want to be prepared as possible for all scenarios. I have some classic cars sitting in my garage currently so my Tesla will be parked outside near the garage once I receive it. 20 ft should be more than enough of my outlet is installed in the right place but just want to cover all scenarios if possible!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Charger installed inside or outside? Think about cable layout when garage door closes and your charging. You might be losing some usable length. For example, I run the cable in the corner where there's enough opening that the door won't nick iit.