Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging cable loose/not charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - recently I've been getting a notification from the Tesla app that the charging cable is not secured/loose when plugging in to public charges using the J1772 adapter. As a result it does not charge at all though the charging stations still say they're providing power. Supercharging is fine.

The car (and adapter) are both brand new but it does feel a little loose. Has anyone experienced this issue? Assume the fix is to just get a replacement adapter - or is this something Tesla maintenance could help with? Wondering how this could have happened...also wondering if maybe someone "swapped" out my adapter given I've never dropped it, mishandled it, etc.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

First, try charging at a different location. It is possible that the SAE J1772 adapter is defective but more likely that the J1772 charging connector is worn or damaged. Public charging stations get a lot of use and abuse. I have observed corroded pins, broken insulators on J1772 connectors where I charge. If the connector is damaged, when possible, I will use a different charging station.

I use Chargepoint Level 2 charging stations to charge my Model Y. Usually if there is an issue the Tesla Charging Screen will display a message shortly after my Model Y begins charging. Other times, at one specific charging station, there is sometimes a signaling error when charging completes.

My prior plug-in vehicle would not always charge using the Chargepoint station and the SAE J1772 adapter. When I contacted the provider they said that the charging station would have to be reset. I believe this requires turning off the power at the breaker and then back on. It has not happened in some time.

It seems like a public Level 2 charging station would be simple to configure and maintain. I believe that the firmware in these charging stations can become outdated and poor maintenance of the equipment is also to blame.

Reactions: Rocky_H