Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging cable not fully secured

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received this notification three times in the past day. It states that the charging cable is not fully secured. When check the cable I find that is in fact fully secured. Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas of what is going on?

Attachments

• D1A0F7F7-F2FB-4E3A-A45C-26D9786B318C.jpeg
    D1A0F7F7-F2FB-4E3A-A45C-26D9786B318C.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 1,170
How new is your Tesla vehicle? When new the charging connector can be difficult to fully seat in the Tesla's charge port. Align the charging connector with the charge port and push firmly until the connector is fully seated.

How new is your Tesla vehicle? When new the charging connector can be difficult to fully seat in the Tesla's charge port. Align the charging connector with the charge port and push firmly until the connector is fully seated.
It’s a 2021 Model Y, delivered in March. It never had this issue until now. The three times that this has happened in the past day, I checked the cable and it was fully inserted.

I received this notification three times in the past day. It states that the charging cable is not fully secured. When check the cable I find that is in fact fully secured. Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas of what is going on?
This happens to me from time to time. Sometimes it's just a matter of pulling the handle out and setting it back in again. Other times, I have to unplug my wall charger. I do not have a Tesla charger but a Juicenet wall charger. I have a July 2021 build.

I noticed that while I get the notification that the charger does not have a good connection, it still charges. I received the notice yesterday evening but I decided to leave it alone as an experiment and it still charged the car. I knew I wasn't driving anywhere far today, so it was a good test. I suggest not trying this if you need to go anywhere far the next day.

Same issue for a few weeks. My car is almost 2 years old and I never had this issue before. It occurs every now and then,,,, I had a look and did not find anything wrong... and the car keeps charging properly... Maybe I'll ask Tesla directly...

I received my model 3 today and I have Tesla charger Gen 3 installed at home already. However, despite repeated attempts I keep on getting the same message that cable not secured properly and the charging indicator was red and not charging. However, I used my three pin wall socket plug in charger from my old Toyota and it's charging the car without a problem. Is this a problem with the wall connector installation or the charging port in the car? Thank you

I received my model 3 today and I have Tesla charger Gen 3 installed at home already. However, despite repeated attempts I keep on getting the same message that cable not secured properly and the charging indicator was red and not charging. However, I used my three pin wall socket plug in charger from my old Toyota and it's charging the car without a problem. Is this a problem with the wall connector installation or the charging port in the car? Thank you
When new the Tesla charging connector can take some effort to fully insert into the Tesla vehicle's charge port. You can also try turning off the circuit breaker for the Gen3 Wall Connector and waiting 30 seconds before turning the breaker back on. You should only turn off the power to the Wall Connector when the Wall Connector is not in use, not plugged into the Tesla vehicle.

When new the Tesla charging connector can take some effort to fully insert into the Tesla vehicle's charge port. You can also try turning off the circuit breaker for the Gen3 Wall Connector and waiting 30 seconds before turning the breaker back on. You should only turn off the power to the Wall Connector when the Wall Connector is not in use, not plugged into the Tesla vehicle.
Thank you. I think the most likely problem is wall connector however I cannot find any other examples similar to the light I am seeing. Instead of red light or green light, I see one orange and one green light. I tried charging my Toyota Plug-in Hybrid and it does not charge either.

Thank you. I think the most likely problem is wall connector however I cannot find any other examples similar to the light I am seeing. Instead of red light or green light, I see one orange and one green light. I tried charging my Toyota Plug-in Hybrid and it does not charge either.
If you are stating that you cannot charge your Toyota plug-in vehicle using a different circuit than the circuit used with the Gen3 Wall Connector then the problem is not local to the Tesla Wall Connector. You would need an electrician to check the connections, wiring at the service panel.

This is the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

This is the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector (comes with every Tesla vehicle.): https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf

Reactions: peterparker78
If you are stating that you cannot charge your Toyota plug-in vehicle using a different circuit than the circuit used with the Gen3 Wall Connector then the problem is not local to the Tesla Wall Connector. You would need an electrician to check the connections, wiring at the service panel.

This is the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

This is the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector (comes with every Tesla vehicle.): https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf
Thank you. I meant that I cannot charge either Tesla or Prius using this Gen 3 connector and there is one amber light and one green light in standby mode. When I plug this in Tesla, the charging port light turns red on Tesla and error message comes on display saying charging cable not secured. I tried to switch off and on via the circuit breaker and for a moment the green lights come on and then same amber and green light comes back again as above. As this is completely new Gen 3 and I have asked electrician to look at it again who installed it in the first place.

Thank you. I meant that I cannot charge either Tesla or Prius using this Gen 3 connector and there is one amber light and one green light in standby mode. When I plug this in Tesla, the charging port light turns red on Tesla and error message comes on display saying charging cable not secured. I tried to switch off and on via the circuit breaker and for a moment the green lights come on and then same amber and green light comes back again as above. As this is completely new Gen 3 and I have asked electrician to look at it again who installed it in the first place.
I was confused as to how you are able to plug into the Prius plug-in vehicle using the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector. (I understand now that the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector sold in the UK has a different charging connector than the Gen3 Wall Connector sold in the US.) I have never seen the charge port on a UK Tesla vehicle.

It just happened to me for the first time today. I discovered the problem, for me at least, was a chunk of ice that had formed in the recess for the locking pin in the handle of the mobile connector. I chipped it out and the error went away.

My 22 M3LR shows this error if I use the 40 amp Gen 1 Mobile connector. I bought it used and some of the plastic around the connector head is worn down. If I use the gen 2 mobile connector it slides into the port without any play and there is no error. The gen 1 still charges, just seems the Tesla is a little sensitive to how it is first inserted into the port.