Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging cable not fully secured

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone found a cause to this problem? My 2018 LR RWD Model 3 started doing this recently. Never seen this error in 3+ years of ownersip.
Did a Google Search on this problem, found this thread and just registered to respond.

I have a 2018 LR AWD Model 3 and it just started to happen to me in the last couple of weeks. Never seen it before.

I have a ChargePoint 25 charging station at home. I've used it with no problems with my Model 3 for 3 years, no problem.

Hopefully useful anecdotal data:
  1. I went to my local Tesla Supercharger location and plugged in. Charged with no problem. So, it's not the charge port itself.
  2. I went to a nearby commercial ChargePoint charging location on a main drag where I live. The J1772 connector on it had the locking tab broken off and it looked like it was chewed on by a dog. Plugged it in via the Tesla J1772 Adapter, and it charged just fine. So it's not the Tesla adapter, either.
So the problem is either in my home ChargePoint 25 unit (seems weird that it worked fine for 3 years up until now) or ... maybe ... a bad Tesla software update? I just updated to the latest 2021.44.30.11 version last night, so maybe I'll give it another shot tonight after my TOU rates drop at 9 PM.

We have a 2014 S 85 battery with original “like new” charging cable that has been experiencing this problem on and mostly off the past 2 months. We have a “dark” or “black” nothing happening color once plugging into port with the exact message being cited on this thread. We have no problems charging at the Superstation. Four years ago, we had the same problem although the color may have been “yellow,” I do not exactly recall, but needed to change the “outlet” being plugged into to solve the problem. It is a NEMA 14, 50 Amp, 250 Volt flush mount unit. In addition, because it is for home use, we had begun the policy of not pulling the connection out of the wall outlet during each charge to reduce friction, versus what we were doing during the first four years of use. We had it unplugged for weeks while sorting out this newest problem, and when plugging it into to the wall outlet again this weekend as well as testing it, the car charged perfectly. However, the connection is “black” and not working against as of this morning.

I have a 2018 LR RWD Model 3 and just experienced this for the first time with a few Chargepoint chargers. Not sure if it's the car or J1772 adapter, but i have used these charges many times before. Opened a Tesla mobile service ticket to have them troubleshoot.

I’ve had this with ChargePoint systems around my work sometimes. No amount of plugging in/unplugging seems to matter. However once I left it and was going to try and remotely start it a few times and I go to the app 10 minutes later and it was charging. Never had anything like that on home chargepoint.

Update:

I've since bought a Tesla NEMA 6-50 to 14-50 adapter and the Tesla portable charger that came with the car works just fine with it.

I also as a test bought a Shell portable charger (J1772) and used it with a (different, non-Tesla) NEMA 6-50 to 14-50 adapter via the Tesla J1772 Adapter, and it also worked fine. (About to return that Shell setup to Amazon.)

So the only thing that does not work and provokes the not-fully-secured error message is my ChargePoint 25 base station. I'm guessing that maybe the 25-foot cable is bad. The company doesn't stock them anymore (they have moved on to their more recent ChargePoint Home product) and nothing has showed up on eBay. I guess the good thing is that I have a workaround (i.e. the Tesla mobile charger) but I still hate the fact that my $1,000+ investment (cost + electrician install) in the ChargePoint 25 seems to be down the drain. I did get 6 years of use out of it so maybe I should be content with that. Still disappointing, though.

Update:

I've since bought a Tesla NEMA 6-50 to 14-50 adapter and the Tesla portable charger that came with the car works just fine with it.

I also as a test bought a Shell portable charger (J1772) and used it with a (different, non-Tesla) NEMA 6-50 to 14-50 adapter via the Tesla J1772 Adapter, and it also worked fine. (About to return that Shell setup to Amazon.)

So the only thing that does not work and provokes the not-fully-secured error message is my ChargePoint 25 base station. I'm guessing that maybe the 25-foot cable is bad. The company doesn't stock them anymore (they have moved on to their more recent ChargePoint Home product) and nothing has showed up on eBay. I guess the good thing is that I have a workaround (i.e. the Tesla mobile charger) but I still hate the fact that my $1,000+ investment (cost + electrician install) in the ChargePoint 25 seems to be down the drain. I did get 6 years of use out of it so maybe I should be content with that. Still disappointing, though.
Have you tried it again since unplugging it? I‘ve had the same chargepoint not work and then work the next day, I’ve always thought maybe a reboot or something fixed it. It’s super inconsistent when I’ve had it and sometimes if I just leave it plugged in it starts working. I agree maybe something in the cable, but not sure it would be worth a couple hundred to test out. I really would‘ve hoped chargepoint support would’ve offered you a good deal on a refurb home flex or something. I get it’s out of support, but companies that go that extra mile earn loyalty.

I don't know about you folks, but I have to deal with this thing called winter.... I have found that ice in the dimple on the charge plug that accepts the latch or ice at the bottom of the charge port will cause things to not fit quite right. USUALLY i'll get the flashing amber warning light... allows slow charge to let you activate defrost. But once or twice I've gotten what folks above have gotten, I'm assuming it is the same - that the sensors don't thing the charge plug is fully seated. I've used a hair dryer, alcohol de-icer, and in desperation once, my breath to melt out the ice. a spritz of silicone spray seems to help prevent it.

I just started getting this error too. Could it be that there's something obstructing that bit at the very bottom? It looks like there could be ice in there. Is that what you're referring to as the "dimple" @Rshephorse?

PXL_20220219_154130481.jpg

We have a 2014 S 85 battery with original “like new” charging cable that has been experiencing this problem on and mostly off the past 2 months. We have a “dark” or “black” nothing happening color once plugging into port with the exact message being cited on this thread. We have no problems charging at the Superstation. Four years ago, we had the same problem although the color may have been “yellow,” I do not exactly recall, but needed to change the “outlet” being plugged into to solve the problem. It is a NEMA 14, 50 Amp, 250 Volt flush mount unit. In addition, because it is for home use, we had begun the policy of not pulling the connection out of the wall outlet during each charge to reduce friction, versus what we were doing during the first four years of use. We had it unplugged for weeks while sorting out this newest problem, and when plugging it into to the wall outlet again this weekend as well as testing it, the car charged perfectly. However, the connection is “black” and not working against as of this morning.
Tesla checked our eight year old charging cable out, and told us it was working fine. We called an electrician based upon this since charging at home remained impossible, and if the Tesla Cable was fine, it must have related to some part of our home based electrical system installed by a licensed electrician eight years ago. After incurring great expense, the electrician concluded there was nothing wrong with the outlet, the 220V wire or the 50 amp circuit breaker(A brand new "smart" Leviton system with wireless access as part of home rebuild one year ago). They suggested we try a new cable which we borrowed from another family member, and everything works perfectly. This was a charge cable for a 2018 Model 3, and its 220V plug which they are no longer providing with new cars, and now only providing smaller 110V plugs for new owners to start with. We sought Tesla's help for some sort of reimbursement or credit for the electrician whom we never needed to call since they should have realized their "legacy cable" which they don't produce any longer was the problem. The manager said because he didn't do a full diagnostic test--having only plugged my cable into another car at the service center where it supposedly worked-- including the fact that their car "ports" respond differently to "home use" Alternating Current(AC) vs. Super Station Charger Direct Current(DC) when cables are plugged in, he would not take any responsibility. Tesla seems to be less customer focused, caring or accommodating versus when they were a new company and we took a great leap of faith purchasing their car not knowing if they would make it in the long term. I believe the manager made a very bad decision in not offering me some consideration especially because he was the actual person who tested the cable for me! I only hope customer dissatisfaction is not becoming more commonplace in the wake of Tesla's success which we are very happy about.

Tesla checked our eight year old charging cable out, and told us it was working fine. We called an electrician based upon this since charging at home remained impossible, and if the Tesla Cable was fine, it must have related to some part of our home based electrical system installed by a licensed electrician eight years ago. After incurring great expense, the electrician concluded there was nothing wrong with the outlet, the 220V wire or the 50 amp circuit breaker(A brand new "smart" Leviton system with wireless access as part of home rebuild one year ago). They suggested we try a new cable which we borrowed from another family member, and everything works perfectly. This was a charge cable for a 2018 Model 3, and its 220V plug which they are no longer providing with new cars, and now only providing smaller 110V plugs for new owners to start with. We sought Tesla's help for some sort of reimbursement or credit for the electrician whom we never needed to call since they should have realized their "legacy cable" which they don't produce any longer was the problem. The manager said because he didn't do a full diagnostic test--having only plugged my cable into another car at the service center where it supposedly worked-- including the fact that their car "ports" respond differently to "home use" Alternating Current(AC) vs. Super Station Charger Direct Current(DC) when cables are plugged in, he would not take any responsibility. Tesla seems to be less customer focused, caring or accommodating versus when they were a new company and we took a great leap of faith purchasing their car not knowing if they would make it in the long term. I believe the manager made a very bad decision in not offering me some consideration especially because he was the actual person who tested the cable for me! I only hope customer dissatisfaction is not becoming more commonplace in the wake of Tesla's success which we are very happy about.
P.S. Besides spending over $300 for an electrician, we needed to purchase the correct Tesla Charging Cable for 220V in home connections which comes in two parts(the charge cable and the specific, 14-50 plug in wall connector) which was another $325 including taxes. Quite an expensive lesson which was caused by Tesla not advising us properly regarding such a serious issue.

P.S. Besides spending over $300 for an electrician, we needed to purchase the correct Tesla Charging Cable for 220V in home connections which comes in two parts(the charge cable and the specific, 14-50 plug in wall connector) which was another $325 including taxes. Quite an expensive lesson which was caused by Tesla not advising us properly regarding such a serious issue.
Sorry to hear that, stinks that they tested it for you and it “worked” for them. Know they couldn’t do anything about your electrician, but maybe toss you 25% off the new mobile charger would’ve been nice. If I were you I think I may have bought a home charger instead, that way you’re not starting from scratch on your next EV if it’s not a tesla. If your Electric provider has a rebate you may have come out at a wash. I agree Tesla service is lacking, but they have no reason to do better while demand exceeds production.

Sorry to hear that, stinks that they tested it for you and it “worked” for them. Know they couldn’t do anything about your electrician, but maybe toss you 25% off the new mobile charger would’ve been nice. If I were you I think I may have bought a home charger instead, that way you’re not starting from scratch on your next EV if it’s not a tesla. If your Electric provider has a rebate you may have come out at a wash. I agree Tesla service is lacking, but they have no reason to do better while demand exceeds production.
I remember when Dell started "outsourcing" to India--circa 2003-2004) for customer service courtesy of the internet and a "Global Crossing" communications network. The representatives were cold, callous and non negotiable for reasonably meeting customer satisfaction, and I said at that time, I thought it was the beginning of Dell's downfall which it was from a public stand point causing Michael to have to take it private afterwards. They tried to pivot back then by teaching their Indian employees to speak in U.S. dialects including Southern, Midwestern, etc. but it was too late. Once you lose customer mind share, and the "network effect," you are done as a business.

I sensed a hard core, self-righteous, non negotiable approach by the manager I was dealing with. I sensed this might be Company wide and part of an internal mantra to seek profit regardless of the cost in dissatisfying customers. I hope Elon hasn't felt he has succeeded so much, so quickly, that he is creating an environment where the basic block and tackle principles of running a quality business that places the customer first is being lost.

Up until this experience, we could only give Tesla the highest marks on quality of product and service. We hope he is not going to turn into a Dell or worse as the business cycle moves forward.

Wouldn't it be a shame to see Tesla as a lost brand in the EV space in the next decade or so? Probably a low probability event, but NOT IMPOSSIBLE. Thanks for your concern and suggestions.

Reactions: Nubo
My 2021 M3LR has been a dissatisfying experience and now I am already getting the charge port message. I’m very careful how I treat the cable, too. I think QC is just poor.

I forgot how a nice, well put together car sounds on the inside. My car already rattles and squeaks. Albeit, I live rural and the roads aren’t the best; I took a ride in my buddies 5 year old Audi RS5 last weekend and that car was so smooth, solid and rattle free—it annoyed me! I consoled myself on the inside, “At least I don’t have to worry about maintenance.” Well I guess that’s a crock.

If gas wasn’t $5/gallon and my commute over 100 miles a day, this car would be up for sale tomorrow.

Have you tried it again since unplugging it? I‘ve had the same ChargePoint not work and then work the next day, I’ve always thought maybe a reboot or something fixed it. It’s super inconsistent when I’ve had it and sometimes if I just leave it plugged in it starts working. I agree maybe it's something in the cable, but not sure it would be worth a couple hundred $ to test out. I really would‘ve hoped ChargePoint support would’ve offered you a good deal on a refurb Home Flex or something. I get it’s out of support, but companies that go that extra mile earn loyalty.
Yes I tried since unplugging it. I tried several times over several days. It never worked. I'm 99% convinced it's the cable, one thing I didn't mention is that I got lazy and left the cable unwrapped from the station (with the connector end sitting on a table I have underneath an awning in my back porch area) a few times during our late winter rainstorms. There was about a 7 or 8 foot exposed run between the station (in the front of the garage) and the area underneath the awning. I don't think the connector got rained on due to where it sat but I'm guessing maybe somehow moisture got into the cable somewhere along the run where it was exposed to the elements.

TBH I've been lazy ever since then because of being able to use the Tesla charging cable and the adapter, I meant to have a co-worker come over with his Leaf to see if my J1772 is dead if plugged into his car as well. I'm sure it will be. But I should call him anyway ...

Tesla ChargePoint Error.jpg
Have started to get these messages on Tesla iPhone app when using certain ChargePoint chargers. At one location there are 3 exactly the same dual ChargePoint chargers. Three out of the six plugs give this warning with a red charging cable on the app and no charging. The other three plugs work fine and charge without incident. Have checked the plugs and there does not seem to be any issues that can be seen.

View attachment 787067Have started to get these messages on Tesla iPhone app when using certain ChargePoint chargers. At one location there are 3 exactly the same dual ChargePoint chargers. Three out of the six plugs give this warning with a red charging cable on the app and no charging. The other three plugs work fine and charge without incident. Have checked the plugs and there does not seem to be any issues that can be seen.

Same thing is happening to me. My apartment has six ChargePoint dual port chargers, and about half of them are now doing this every time. Brand new 4 day old M3P.