Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Cable Stolen While Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect that most EVSE thieves are interested in a quick sale. Cutting the cables results in something that won't be a quick sale, and (if sold) won't yield much $. They'd probably be more likely to disconnect the Tesla 5-15/6-20/14-50 adapter "cable" and flip that for $25. Anything that disincentives theft is helpful.

Less hassle would be to lock the charging cable to a wheel using a padlock.

I’m specifically wondering about my question, though. I guess I could go back to the Tesla store and take a look.
The cable is pretty thick and as others have mentioned, you most likely wouldn't be able to close the trunk. But even of you could, it WILL damage the cable.
I supposed I could use the lock-to-wheel method, but I would think someone would just unplug it from the wall, and then cut the cable, remove the charger, and then reassemble the wiring, or does it not work that way?
Locking the cable to the wheel will not work if you have the Aero hub caps. Also, not sure if there is room behind the spokes of the other wheels to do it and even if there is, it would be a very messy task.

With Tesla's built-in safety measures when charging, any cable that's been cut and soldered back together will most likely not work. No data to support that hypothesis; just my speculation.
They'd probably be more likely to disconnect the Tesla 5-15/6-20/14-50 adapter "cable" and flip that for $25. Anything that disincentives theft is helpful.
This is actually something I have thought about. Thankfully the only place I use my 14-50 adaptor is at work in a very safe area with a LOT of regular foot traffic, but if someone were to steal this adapter, How would you get the cable unplugged? Would I have to call mobile service and have them come out? Could Tesla unlock it remotely? Or would the trunk release do the trick?

This is actually something I have thought about. Thankfully the only place I use my 14-50 adaptor is at work in a very safe area with a LOT of regular foot traffic, but if someone were to steal this adapter, How would you get the cable unplugged? Would I have to call mobile service and have them come out? Could Tesla unlock it remotely? Or would the trunk release do the trick?

Good question. I suppose the simple solution is to keep your 5-15 pigtail/cable with you, plus an extension cord. Usually there'll be a compatible 5-15 or 5-20 outlet nearby. Otherwise... dunno. I'm too tired to try it tonight. It's probably too much to hope for that the button on the Tesla connector would still work if the car has power. Let us know if you find an answer!

With Tesla's built-in safety measures when charging, any cable that's been cut and soldered back together will most likely not work. No data to support that hypothesis; just my speculation.
A repaired/soldered cable will work as long as all wires have been repaired properly.

Press the ‘unlock charge port’ button on the screen or in the app.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
Locking the cable to the wheel will not work if you have the Aero hub caps.
Here's a variation on the theme that works for Aero hub caps:
Charger_lock.JPG

Thanks! I drove a lot of EV miles before there were public charging stations so I've charged in shady places like RV parks and LAX when I had to provide my own equipment. I just need to figure out how to actually see the picture I attached. I only see the top of it unless I click on it.
Still figuring out this forum from which I've been away for quite a while.

Thanks! I drove a lot of EV miles before there were public charging stations so I've charged in shady places like RV parks and LAX when I had to provide my own equipment. I just need to figure out how to actually see the picture I attached. I only see the top of it unless I click on it.
Still figuring out this forum from which I've been away for quite a while.
Geez, if your driving on the cable solution worked at LAX, then I'm gonna get it will work for me in WLA.

Actually, at LAX, I was using a 120v outlet and, to reach the car, I needed all the wire I had so I used a bike-lock cable around my tire instead of the charger cable around it.
I did get nabbed for not having a front license plate there though :-(
EV parking in short-term Lots 1 and 6 was free then though!

Actually, at LAX, I was using a 120v outlet and, to reach the car, I needed all the wire I had so I used a bike-lock cable around my tire instead of the charger cable around it.
I did get nabbed for not having a front license plate there though :-(
EV parking in short-term Lots 1 and 6 was free then though!

Some states do not require front plates. Would CHiPs ticket out out state cars?