Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging cable stuck in public EV point - happened to you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finished work tonight went to unplug the cable from the car and EV point. Stopped the charge in the car and removed from the cable from the car but the cable would not budge from the EV Rolec point. I tried restarting and then stopping the charge multiple times.

After yanking and failing to release the cable I was coming to the conclusion that I may have to leave the cable and risk it getting damaged.

I then decided I’d phone Rolec for advice. The guy I spoke to advised pushing the cable in hard and then pulling hard on the cable. I explained I’d already done this, but I would give it another go. This time I really did pull it hard and like magic it released!

After some quick research it seems this is a common issue with some people modifying the cable connector so “the pin” in the charger cannot lock the cable. Apparently this involves cutting a slot in the connector.

Has anyone done this? It seems it’s there for a reason so I don’t feel confident messing around with high voltage EV cables.

After some quick research it seems this is a common issue with some people modifying the cable connector so “the pin” in the charger cannot lock the cable. Apparently this involves cutting a slot in the connector.

Has anyone done this? It seems it’s there for a reason so I don’t feel confident messing around with high voltage EV cables.

Can't see any downside to doing this modification other than some lowlife could unplug your car whilst charging which might cause a few sparks. But I'm pretty sure the charger would shut off the power before the plug came out.

Just after I first got my car the local EV public charge point would not release my cable. I called the emergency number on the unit and after several failed attempts at stopping and resetting the charger the guy on the line gave in and told me to leave the cable and he would get a technician to attend ASAP. The next day my cable was delivered to my door by a technician who had driven over 100 miles up from near Glasgow to Banchory, opened the unit and released my cable. He told me that the locking pin in the unit had broken and dropped down trapping the cable - apparently a reasonably frequent occurrence. He did tell me that some folk had modified their cable as suggested but I haven’t done it as I have not had any problems since. If it happens again I may do the mod but am reluctant as somebody could then remove my cable to charge their own car!

Happened to me on the way to a funeral with a pod point. Though I think the issue was me trying to remove the cable form the pod point before the car (undid stop charge first). Find removing from the car first generally releases the cable from the Podpoint...might be chatting rubbish but that's what I have experienced...not fun and the wife was not best pleased (we made it in time thankfully)

Happened to me on the way to a funeral with a pod point. Though I think the issue was me trying to remove the cable form the pod point before the car (undid stop charge first). Find removing from the car first generally releases the cable from the Podpoint...might be chatting rubbish but that's what I have experienced...not fun and the wife was not best pleased (we made it in time thankfully)
the few public ones i have used also release as soon as disconnected from the car end. I think this may be the norm. The problem seems to come when the charger itself it faulty and not much you can do about that in some cases.
looks like you either cut the slot and risk scumbag disconnection or risk losing your cable to a faulty charger. Damned if you do....

I think some charge points have a specific order that you need to unplug things - some, such as SourceLondon can even 'fine'/administration fee (£20) you if you get it wrong - which is the opposite of what you might expect.

Basically, it differs from charge point to charge point, and if you get it wrong...

Should it be this difficult? Read the SourceLondon T&C if you suffer insomnia!
https://membership.sourcelondon.net/terms-and-conditions/apr2019gp/ T&C said:
6.10 It is Your responsibility to ensure that the charging of Your Vehicle using a Charge Point is carried out safely so as to avoid injury to any person or damage to property. In particular, this includes but is not limited to ensuring that You take all reasonable care when charging your Vehicle and that:

6.10.4 the connector cable is not unplugged from the Vehicle before the plug is removed from the Charge Point; and

6.10.5 once You have finished charging Your Vehicle, the connector cable is disconnected in accordance with paragraph 6.11 and the Charge Point housing closed. If this is completed correctly and You have swiped Your membership card on the Charge Point, this will end the charging session.

IMPORTANT NOTICES If You do not follow the above procedure for correctly disconnecting Your Vehicle from the Charge Point: i) the charging session may not end, and You will continue to be charged Session Fees, even if electricity is not actually being delivered to Your Vehicle; and ii) the Charge Point may not be registered on our system as available, meaning that it will not become available for use by other members. One of our operatives will therefore need to attend the Charge Point in person to reset the Charge Point. In these circumstances, We will charge You the Additional Fee set out in Schedule 1 by way of an Administration Fee.

Schedule 1 Administration Fee said:
6.10 You do not follow the correct procedure for disconnecting Your Vehicle from the Charge Point, causing the Charge Point not to be registered on Our system as available, and requiring Us to send an operative to reset the Charge Point. £20 ²

• Informative
Reactions: Cowpring
I think some charge points have a specific order that you need to unplug things - some, such as SourceLondon can even 'fine'/administration fee (£20) you if you get it wrong - which is the opposite of what you might expect.

Basically, it differs from charge point to charge point, and if you get it wrong...

Should it be this difficult? Read the SourceLondon T&C if you suffer insomnia!
Wow didn't know this. I use SourceLondon but fortunately I have always tapped my card before disconnecting anything.