Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging cable won't insert - frozen "tab" inside receiver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Killing you is not going to happen .....

The tab is only for locking the plug to the car. Even if you could remove the plug without unlocking or pressing the unlock button. The flow of electricity is going to be stopped before you could get anywhere near a live circuit. That’s the job of communication pins. Think GFI ... it’s built into every UMC or Wall Connector. And every other charging device.

Yeah I agree. J1772 does this definitely, and I'd be shocked (haha) to find out that Tesla didn't do the same with their proprietary connector. So my original suggestion stands - Tesla should push an OTA update to allow owners to choose to disable the lock.

Model 3 RWD. Tomorrow is gonna be a true test in Toronto. We’re gonna have windchills in the -20’s.
Just a thought here. I haven't tried this and I'm not suggesting this particular product below. Just suggesting the process to try.
How about carrying along a couple of reusable heat packs in case you get the freezing problem. I'd just stuff it inside the charging door for a few minutes after activating it. At 130 degrees, it should warm up the latch and surrounding area much faster than wasting all that time and car heat.
https://www.amazon.com/HEAT-WAVE-Instant-Reusable-Warmers/dp/B000E48LVM

Same issue, had to leave my car at work last night because I couldn’t release the charge cable.

Love that our temp solution is to charge into the high range and accelerate our battery degradation.
I think the Tesla guidance meant closer to 100% of power - Amps - available via HPWC or MC. Not 100% of battery capacity.

Higher current means cable and connector get warmer.

Does pulling the manual cable in the trunk not help?

Didn't for me - there was actual ice preventing the locking tab actuator from moving - the manual cable isn't strong enough to break ice as far as I can tell. The only solution is getting rid of the ice with heat or de-icer. Now that the lock disconnects when charging finishes (presumably when the whole area is quite warm), that should solve the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I think the Tesla guidance meant closer to 100% of power - Amps - available via HPWC or MC. Not 100% of battery capacity.

Higher current means cable and connector get warmer.

If that was the solution I wouldn't have had an issue - I always charge at the maximum amps. It had been charging for multiple hours overnight when I couldn't unplug it in the morning.

If that was the solution I wouldn't have had an issue - I always charge at the maximum amps. It had been charging for multiple hours overnight when I couldn't unplug it in the morning.
Good information, yet If it was a destination charger, then I doubt the cable and connection point gets warm enough in all situations. And you know that as you get closer to full charger, the current (and hence heat) decreases. It's probably more important what happened in the last hour of charging than what happened multiple hours during the night because it could freeze up again in the last hour.

Get this, folks. It's December in Phoenix, Arizona - hardly the winter blizzard freezing locale. I came home about 7am from the gym this morning - it's only 39 degrees out - and my Tesla wall connector won't lock in place to the car while in my garage (which is about 55 degrees). A little different than what's listed here as the majority of the thread, but it seems to be a similar issue. My lock is in the down position, not the locked position. The charge port keeps clicking as though it wants to lock, but never does, so charging can't occur. I didn't try heating up the car, as I'd been driving it, so called Tesla instead. Mobile unit will come out to inspect "when they can within 2 days". Luckily I'm at 80% charge right now. Situation could be worse. I'll post more when I meet with the mobile unit on what they say the issue is.

Had a little look last night, couldn't see it. Doesn't help that it's late and freezing. Will watch the video.

Right now I've left it at home with the heating on high and seats down - spoke to the ranger and this needs to be the daily routine.

FYI it is always garaged so this isn't an issue of it being left out freezing all night. Having said that the garage isn't insulated - car was -2C interior temp this morning. Ugh maybe I need to look at insulating the whole garage and door?

We seem to now know that this freezing of the port latch/pin is an issue "north" of California. As this is going to be ongoing, will TSLA replace our ports with a heated one or will the heating of the interior suffice? The engineers must have run into this circumstance before the TM3, no? Likely cannot change the position of the lock pin because the "universal" Tesla plug is part of the design.
Comments invited.

Had a little look last night, couldn't see it. Doesn't help that it's late and freezing. Will watch the video.

Right now I've left it at home with the heating on high and seats down - spoke to the ranger and this needs to be the daily routine.

FYI it is always garaged so this isn't an issue of it being left out freezing all night. Having said that the garage isn't insulated - car was -2C interior temp this morning. Ugh maybe I need to look at insulating the whole garage and door?
Can you imagine the comments of non TM3 friends if they find out the design needs this kind of maintenance?

Ugh, had my fill of winter issues already with door/window issues. Now tonight that I can't plugin my charging cable - the charge door opens fine but it looks like there's a small tab at the bottom of the charge port which is in the way, I suspect it's frozen in place. Tried to post a pic below.

This is really worrying because the car has been garaged for the last few hours - it's reporting -3C in the car, outside is -10C. And no, I haven't washed it or got it wet - it's been a cold, dry day here all day. What on earth is going to happen when it's properly cold? Was planning a big road trip this weekend, now starting to wonder if that's a good idea. My Model 3 could be failing the winter test which was my only reservation... :-(

Off to get a hair-dryer and try warming it up for a bit. FFS.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet
please be so kind as to specify your car type at the beginning if you could? Thank you!

We seem to now know that this freezing of the port latch/pin is an issue "north" of California. As this is going to be ongoing, will TSLA replace our ports with a heated one or will the heating of the interior suffice? The engineers must have run into this circumstance before the TM3, no? Likely cannot change the position of the lock pin because the "universal" Tesla plug is part of the design.
Comments invited.

I'd imagine there's a way to redesign the part in a less Californian way so it doesn't get iced up. Maybe they'll come out with an adjusted part and some of us dealing with major issues can get it retrofitted. I'm probably going to be OK for this winter but I'd like to hear something from them before next year. I am still having some issues - a couple of times recently after washing the locking tab can't seem to go up and engage so the car reports that it's charging at a reduced rate. Better than no charging, and definitely better than the cable being locked in my car but I'd like a better fix than 2 hours at HI with the seats down.

FYI: Tesla Model 3 2018
Get this, folks. It's December in Phoenix, Arizona - hardly the winter blizzard freezing locale. I came home about 7am from the gym this morning - it's only 39 degrees out - and my Tesla wall connector won't lock in place to the car while in my garage (which is about 55 degrees). A little different than what's listed here as the majority of the thread, but it seems to be a similar issue. My lock is in the down position, not the locked position. The charge port keeps clicking as though it wants to lock, but never does, so charging can't occur. I didn't try heating up the car, as I'd been driving it, so called Tesla instead. Mobile unit will come out to inspect "when they can within 2 days". Luckily I'm at 80% charge right now. Situation could be worse. I'll post more when I meet with the mobile unit on what they say the issue is.