Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is the charging cable supplied with the car not waterproof? I am now on my third cable (at a cost of €350 each) and am pretty pissed off. If you can build a car this advanced then supplying a waterproof cable is pretty easy. Plenty of third party manufacturers make fully waterproof Tesla compatible charging cables for less than the price of a cable from Tesla.

I am also in the process of installing a wallbox and was going to get the Tesla box but I see that it is rated to only IP56. Morec makes an 11kw charger that is rated at IP65 and I am leaning towards that after my experience with the Tesla connectors. Any thoughts?

Reactions: hcdavis3
Why is the charging cable supplied with the car not waterproof? I am now on my third cable (at a cost of €350 each) and am pretty pissed off. If you can build a car this advanced then supplying a waterproof cable is pretty easy. Plenty of third party manufacturers make fully waterproof Tesla compatible charging cables for less than the price of a cable from Tesla.

I am also in the process of installing a wallbox and was going to get the Tesla box but I see that it is rated to only IP56. Morec makes an 11kw charger that is rated at IP65 and I am leaning towards that after my experience with the Tesla connectors. Any thoughts?

IP56 is better at water protection than IP65...