TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging compatibility

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by mcmcmc, Nov 13, 2015.

1. mcmcmc

mcmcmc Member

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if charging spots aimed at BMW i3 (which I understand from our car park manager is in the region of 32A I'm told?) is compatible with the X? Don't mind if it takes a little longer, but do mind if it is not compatible...

Thanks!

2. timf

timf Member

Any Level 2 charger will be compatible. You can charge at up to 48A, but it will accept any lower amperage as well. You won't be able to use the same Level 3 DC fast chargers as BMW uses CCS while Tesla can only use CHAdeMO via an adapter or their own proprietary Superchargers.

3. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Looks like the i3 uses a standard SAE J1772 connector. Model S comes with an adaptor to use such a thing (no UMC required) and I would assume they will include it with Model X as well.

If not, you can get it from Tesla here

4. mcmcmc

mcmcmc Member

Thanks @timf and @Lyon for the information! :smile:

5. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Member

I think @Lyon missed a detail and may accidentally be giving bad information. You may not have noticed that @mcmcmc is from London. They do not generally use the J1772 (sometimes called Type 1) format charging plugs in Europe. It’s usually a Type 2 plug. The good news is that all of the European Teslas use the Type 2 as their standard charge port on the car, so it wouldn’t even need an adapter. At the European Tesla stores, they do have the CHAdeMO adapters that convert to the Type 2 plug.

6. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Well by golly I think you're right. I'm pretty sure I replied on TapaTalk which doesn't show the location unless I click on the username. Yes, European Model S use a Type 2 and should be directly compatible with the i3 chargers. Thanks Rocky!