TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

charging compatiblity

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by pninen, Apr 14, 2009.

1. pninen

pninen Member

Will charging stations built for roadsters also be able to charge the sedan?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Since the Model S has an onboard charger that is compatible with any 110V or 220V outlet the question isn't as important. That said, I'd like to know the answer as well.

3. graham

graham Active Member

Likely the High Power Connector home quick charger for the Model S will be the same as the one for the 2011MY Roadster at the time the S ships.

That being said, they have mentioned that they plan to change the charger they are using right now for 2008MY Roadster: 1) to significantly reduce the cost and 2) to make it less clunky.

They will probably do that for the 2011MY Roadster (my guess... not announced), and that will also work for the Model S. There will likely be adapters to go between the old style and the new.

Additionally the 440v DC-DC quick charge they are touting for the Model S will likely become available for future Roadsters and use the same connection. It is unlikely it will be possible to retrofit on a 2008MY Roadster, from what I hear.

4. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Along the same lines, I'm wondering if there will be a move to standardization by then.

5. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

If people get to the point where they replace their batteries in five years, don't you think that the 2008 Roadster could be made to work on the 440v DC-DC quick charge?

6. graham

graham Active Member

I very much hope that is true. My guess is that more than just the battery will need to be replaced, however. Hopefully it will be an option for us.