Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Completes @ 99% for 5 months. Tesla Says it’s normal. What do I do next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But to be fair I do think Tesla should have an explanation for this, even if it is just a computer glitch.

BX5MkeF.jpg

The real explanation probably relates to how unique, in the end, the specs of individual batteries are. There is some variance or perhaps even a lot of variance. Add to that some lazy programming where perhaps the cut-off point for charging uses a different rounding method than the percentage display...

Here are some details on the battery differences: Tesla Motors: PLEASE stop lying about specifications (60 to 75 upgrade)

Varies on the trip. I've gotten her down all the way to 3% while testing and still had charging complete at 99.

As part of the testing, I did perform several charge cycles from High to low. Tesla requested under 20% but I went down under 10% and back up to 90 before attempting another charge to 100.

Have you tried a different charger?

I had similar for about 2 months (4 different 100% charges for long trips) about a year ago. Side note: Now I find it's actually pointless going beyond 90% as it's counter-productive as it didn't save any time at SpCs ;-). I know the batteries balance at 100% for a while, though when app says charging complete it was at 99% immediately.

Anywho, my OCD kept kicking in and I remembered some of the old runs on battery charging we measured way back, some thinking on how the BMS estimation works. So I drove to 1 mile remaining before charging back to 100%. This appears to work for me and I've, thankfully, never seen it since. Of course YMMV ;-)

Good luck, and if this doesn't solve it then just don't set it beyond 90% - it's the next nice round number and much nicer to your batteries :)

Have you also noticed slower charging at the top?

No, not really. I will charge to 90% overnight, then trip charge to 100% an hour or so before leaving. That should get me to 100%, but what happens is I will get nearly my normal charge rate (29 or so miles per hour the whole time), then I get stuck at "5 minutes left" or something like "calculating remaing time". At that point, I'm within a mile or two of what I should be at based on my 90% rated miles, and it makes no sense to wait further.
It's a 2015 S70 with a 90% of 219 RM, 100% of 240+ RM. Those numbers are higher than spec, have never dropped, and seem real, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Not complaining, though.

@m2140 New battery didn't change the behavior, so you know it's not the battery. Battery has an 8 year warranty too, so really nothing to worry about. If you want to speculate about what is happening, how about this:
Your car charges to 100.00%, then charger disconnects and because heater is on (cabin and/or battery) the load causes the voltage to drop slightly, resulting in 99.44% SoC estimate (which is voltage based).

I have seen this behavior as well and consider it normal.

I've charged to 100% and left the car sit and in 1hr or so the battery level drops. But that is not what is happening here. I've had the car complete charging as low as 96% when set to 100%.

My worry is that the battery management system is not properly balancing the cells. When the issue first started, Charging completed at 99%. In less than a month it went down to 96-98%. If there is something wrong I worry that the charging system could be causing damage to the battery cells. My last battery had a few miles on it and obviously went down quickly after the charging issue showed up.
The new battery has been more consistent, Just worried the new battery can be damaged as well.

Have you tried a different charger?

Yes, multiple Level 2 chargers & superchargers. All the same behavior & I've had charging complete at 99% at superchargers as well.

One of the reason why this 1% bothers me so much is because of the extended time at the superchargers.
In warm temp a 100% took 1hr 10min
In cold temp a 100% took 1hr 30 min
Once the issue showed up a 99-100% charge now takes a 2 hrs.​

Today charging to 100% is becoming less required. Tesla is putting up more superchargers and I can get to some of the same places with less charge. By the end of this year, some of my previous destinations that required a full charge just to get there will now have a supercharger.

But the worry is still there. If this is just a bug than i wish Tesla would just fix it. My worry is that it's not a bug and my battery management system is causing damage to the battery.

I have seen this behavior as well and consider it normal.

I've charged to 100% and left the car sit and in 1hr or so the battery level drops. But that is not what is happening here. I've had the car complete charging as low as 96% when set to 100%.

My worry is that the battery management system is not properly balancing the cells. When the issue first started, Charging completed at 99%. In less than a month it went down to 96-98%. If there is something wrong I worry that the charging system could be causing damage to the battery cells. My last battery had a few miles on it and obviously went down quickly after the charging issue showed up.
The new battery has been more consistent, Just worried the new battery can be damaged as well.
Th behavior I was talking about was an instant drop of SOC estimate as soon as the charger is disengaged. I've spent over a decade working on battery powered Mobile devices, specializing in power and performance optimizations, and believe me, you can observe this behavior on phones, tablets, etc. Some modern devices do not exhibit this behavior, but that's only because they have a special provision in software that doesn't immediately adjust the displayed SOC to avoid things like this (and % going up and down by small percentage when phone is in use).

You have full unlimited warranty on the battery, why worry?