Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging connector temperature...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
I know this has been mentioned in a few other threads. Recently, my HPWC's connector to the car has begun to heat up so that it is untouchable while charging at 60A (and 80A).

170.4 degrees:
CameraZOOM-20130721223849641.jpg

Anyone else report this to Tesla? Any particular responses you received?

Awaiting my response from service.

I know this has been mentioned in a few other threads. Recently, my HPWC's connector to the car has begun to heat up so that it is untouchable while charging at 60A (and 80A).

170.4 degrees:

Anyone else report this to Tesla? Any particular responses you received?

Awaiting my response from service.
At 80A, the HPWC cable at the Bellevue store gets very hot. Fine at 60A. Already called it in for that one. Already noted on the forum too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
At 80A, the HPWC cable at the Bellevue store gets very hot. Fine at 60A. Already called it in for that one. Already noted on the forum too. :)

Is it the same source -- the attachment point to the car? or is it hot the entire length of the cable?

In my case, at 80A the entire cable gets warm as it's dissipating about 150W, but the aluminum on the connector is likely to burn me and is very hot.

What's your ambient temperature?
I think I measured mine at 72A at maybe 100F after an hour or so ... ambient was maybe 70F

80-85 or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Entire cable.

Untouchable hot, very hot, hot, or just warm? :)

- - - Updated - - -

I know this is a serious thread but the pic made me think that you could tell when your car is "done" by sticking a meat thermometer in the charging receptacle :biggrin:

It's infrared, but I see your point. The 5.x software resets the charging slider to 5 settings: rare, medium rare, medium, medium well, and well-done.