Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging cost per Kwh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I note that on the Tesla web site the cost at the Supercharger for 100 miles on the clock went up from £7 to £8 in the last couple of days (28p per Kwh)

I also note that my Octopus supply has gone up for 19p to 21.39p per Kwh (making the Supercharger 25% more expensive than home - not bad

All very understandable under current circumstances

I'm on the Octopus felxible tariss, I've just checked the Octopus web site and I can swirtch to the 'Go' tariff and get cheap Kwh for 4 hours at night but the daytimee charge is 32.5p kwh. So . . . . . . unless I do a LOT of miles and have it get those 4 hours on every night it's not worth doing it as it's going to cost me 32.5p per Kwh during the day.

I’m hoping that the local council chargers stay at 25p per KWh as our EDF fix tariff ends in a few months and our costs will more than double per KWh at home. I’m probably going to get a storage battery to help reduce the overall cost over the next few years.

I'm on the Octopus felxible tariss, I've just checked the Octopus web site and I can swirtch to the 'Go' tariff and get cheap Kwh for 4 hours at night but the daytimee charge is 32.5p kwh. So . . . . . . unless I do a LOT of miles and have it get those 4 hours on every night it's not worth doing it as it's going to cost me 32.5p per Kwh during the day.
Everyone circs are different but I work from home so these days I am only doing about 10K miles but still night rate accounts for 40% of my usage which at 32.5p day and 7.5p night would be less than you are paying BUT the other factor to take into account is that Go is fixed for a year. 32.5p/kwh might seem like a bargain soon....

Reactions: kelvin 660

Agree with @Jason71

It might seem like its ok for now at around 20-21p on the Octopus Flexible but that is only till end of this month as we're expecting the energy prices to go up again in April which would likely push it close to (if not exceed) that 30p mark anyway. At least with Go, you fixed your peak rate at 31-32p and then you have the luxury of 7.5p during the off peak. No brainer for me to get off that flexible rate

They‘re all 42p/kWh round me where they are actually working. Seven of the Genipoint chargers around Leeds are showing as faulted on the app right now.
Crikey, that's alot more - wonder if they've got the 2 and 4 mixed up at mine! Yes, we had usually one of three break regular, but didn't mind too much when it was free.

If you switch to the Octopus Go Faster Tariff you can choose your slot we have 20:30 - 00:30 which is handy for Dishwasher, Tumble Drier etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
I've been mulling over the cost to use public chargers since I got the car back in Dec and while I've only used free public chargers so far and not able to charge at home, it's difficult to be too objective, but what has concerned me is that there are a few pubic chargers close to me that are 50p/kwh and at that point becomes more expensive to fuel than a decent diesel.

what has concerned me is that there are a few pubic chargers close to me that are 50p/kwh and at that point becomes more expensive to fuel than a decent diesel.

Somewhere else you could charge? Family/Friend/Neighbour where you could reimburse them "at cost"? Work? (we have free chargers at work)

I vaguely remember a thread where people were saying "Anyone [with no off-street parking/charging], within walking / bike distance, is welcome to park on my driveway and charge and pay me the cost"

Reactions: frankiejr
@WannabeOwner It's not an issue at the moment but it may become a deciding factor for me sooner rather than later the way things are going.

It was always my intention to not charge at home for a number of reasons as it happens and I think if and when the point comes that there is so little saving to be had when charging publicly over fueling an ICE, I'll probably move away from EV's.

If you switch to the Octopus Go Faster Tariff you can choose your slot we have 20:30 - 00:30 which is handy for Dishwasher, Tumble Drier etc.
that is what I have 3 hours 20:30-23:30 at 4.5p and I do everything high power then, washing machine, dishwasher, tumble dryer. I have not yet persuaded the family that 10pm is a good time to eat dinner but I am working on it :)

when charging publicly over fueling an ICE, I'll probably move away from EV's

I wonder how Total Cost of Ownership looks ...

Depreciation on EV is negligible - growing 2nd hand market. An ICE, bought now, is likely to be have terrible residuals in a few years time. Service costs too - apart from the obvious I seem to get longer life from tires in EV than I did on ICE, no explanation for that as lots of temptation to floor-it in EV, and much more effective than ICE! I did read somewhere that gear change causes some "jerk" effect on tires, but I find it hard to believe that would account for a noticeable difference in life. Maybe I've got old and changed my driving style ...

I've been keeping an eye on The Norway Experience, now they are approaching less than 5% of new vehicle sales are pure Petrol / Diesel. People having to plan trips as to where they will be able to buy ICE fuel as forecourts replace fossil pumps with EV chargers (more dwell time, more time spent in accompanying shops / cafe etc). ICE will be banned from increasing numbers of town centres and so on. I just see loads of inconvenience being heaped on the residual ICE owners (likely to be the least affluent strata of the population too ...)

Anyway, whenever I have to drive ICE I hate it these days ... I'm never going back again!

• Informative
Reactions: plisken
I've been mulling over the cost to use public chargers since I got the car back in Dec and while I've only used free public chargers so far and not able to charge at home, it's difficult to be too objective, but what has concerned me is that there are a few pubic chargers close to me that are 50p/kwh and at that point becomes more expensive to fuel than a decent diesel.
So long as you can avoid having to use rapid charging I think you can avoid the 50p/kWh scenario. Slower chargers are generally much cheaper of course ... and, if lucky, free in some instances. I wouldn't mind paying 50p/kWh for a rare but essential rapid charge whilst on a trip but would baulk at that for routine charging.